“Stay at this hotel and experience the worst customer service ever”

Hampton Inn Manhattan-35th St/Empire State Bldg
Ranked #163 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Do not stay at this hotel! The customer service is horrible, we only booked with this hotel because they promised 2 beds. We were booked for 7 nights for the first 3 nights my cousin (male) and I (female) had to share a double bed.The front desk just ignored our requests and said no room was available. We finally got a room with 2 beds on night 4. To say the least this made our trip very uncomfortable. I have been calling, emailing, phoning the hotel to try and get some response from management and they have never bothered to even reply. The hotel is run down and not worth the price. That combined with the customer service, makes it a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank duckyd

Reviewed 15 September 2009

I booked this hotel through Priceline's Name Your own Price service and got it for $115 for one night. What a deal! My room was clean, comfortable and not a bad size for a hotel in the middle of Manhattan. HD TV with a large selection of cable channels was a nice touch. Free wi-fi in each room. Staff was friendly and helpful, especially when i needed extra coffee packets deliviered to the room. Free breakfast in the morning is a huge plus. The breakfast room had all the basics - omlettes, hot and cold cereal, coffee, bagels, muffins, donuts, fresh fruits, yogurt and more. My room had a view of both Macy's and the Empire State Building. Subway entrance is literally steps away from the front door. My one and only (minor) complaint was slow elevator service. Only 2 elevators serving a 20-story hotel is inadequate. That being said, it was perfect for a one-night stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank apagano
Reviewed 12 September 2009

Stayed here for 6 days at the beginning of September. Check in time is 3PM. E-mailed before and also asked when we got there for a room with a view as it was our first time in NY but we were given a room at the back facing an office. Upside to this was that it was very quiet. Perfect night's sleep every night. The room was very comfortable. Other reviews have complained about the rooms being too small but for two people in a king room, there was plenty of space. Bathroom was spacious also. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was always very clean. There is free Wi-Fi in the hotel which is great. The complimentary breakfast every morning was great. There was plenty to choose from- fruit, yogurts, cereal, doughnuts, toast, juice, tea & coffee and there's a different choice of hot food everyday. If you don't have time to stop, they provide 'on the run' breakfast bags at reception which I thought was a lovely touch. So if you're just planning to stay a couple of nights, this hotel is good. Location is one subway stop from Times square or a short walk. I never felt unsafe in the area. Central Park is a bit of a trek and if I was to plan another trip to NY, I'd stay nearer to there, but that's just my preference. The reason the stay wasn't perfect were a couple of things that bugged me about the hotel. Firstly, there is no safe in the room. There are safety deposit boxes at reception but you are usually left waiting in a queue to get access to the box. The box is thin and flat so there's no fitting a big camera in there. Both my partner and I had brought plenty of camera equipment and SLR cameras and there was no facilities at all to store these. I felt a bit uneasy about that but if you don't need to store anything safely, then this won't affect your stay at all. Secondly, I thought people were exaggerating about the elevators but there are only two for 20+ floors and there's no staff elevator either. You will find yourself waiting a long time for the lifts if the hotel is full, sometimes up to 10 minutes. This can be frustrating when you're in a hurry somewhere. Lastly, there are no laundry facilities in the hotel or the surrounding area. This is not an issue if you're only staying a couple of days but for some people, this might be a problem. Overall, I had a great stay and there are no major deal breakers with this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenfiction
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We have just returned from spending 5 days in NY we stayed at the Hampton Inn Hotel 59 w 35th street. Hotel was lovely however I do have one gripe which is the breakfast room in the hotel was sooo cold they had the air conditiioning on 24/7 which for me made it very uncomfortable at breakfast even though I had a jacket/cardgian on.
I thought (whilst walking around) I might feel at risk in some way but I did not
I want to praise the staff at all the shops we visited ( not top designer shops) they were soo helpful to me. They will take you to the particular item you are looking for which impressed me greatly as I think here in UK they would simply point to an area!!
I would like to say to those of you debating whether to go on a cruise/dinner....go we went with World Yacht Cruises and it was a very lovely evening, ladies do take a jacket/cardigan as the restaurant is very cold for quite a while into the trip I had a jacket (of sorts) but felt very cold for some time. The meal was excellant my husband had the steak and he raved about it, I had the chocolate dessert and it is to die for believe me!!!!!
when you disembark from the cruise walk to the road turn right walk a short distance down and you will see taxi/cabs waiting, these will be cheaper than taking the offer of limo or other kinds waiting for you

Reviewed 6 September 2009

I stayed at this hotel while taking the New York State Bar Exam, which is not a fun experience. The hotel made a big difference for me. I needed a place that was clean, quiet, and comfortable, and the Hampton Inn fit the bill. It was nearly new, and it was spotless all around. My room was small, but it was all I needed. The bed was amazingly big and comfortable, and there was a great desk to work at. The free Wifi in the room was a huge bonus. I got a great rate on Priceline ($230 for 2 nights including taxes), and it felt like a steal.

If you're looking for a place to stay in New York that's clean, comfortable, convenient, and friendly, this is the place to go. If you want a better place, you're going to have to spend at least twice as much money.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2009

My daughter and I met my sister for a long weekend in NYC and she had booked this hotel through an Expedia deal. She paid $855 for 6 nights and a flight from Detroit, not a bad deal. The hotel is very close to the subway and Times Square was only a few minutes walk away. The breakfast varied each day so it didn't get to boring. There were cheese "omelettes" and ham, eggs and sausage, french toast sticks and sausage. Other items included the usual - oatmeal (from a pouch), yogurt, fruit, muffins, donuts, etc. The hotel was very clean but small as I hear most NYC hotel rooms are. It was a good home base for a weekend visit.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 20 August 2009

This is a very nice hotel. I got a great deal through hotwire and, because of the price and the fact that it is in Manhattan, I was not expecting much but only to sleep and do some shopping and sightseeing. Boy was a surprised! Everything is pretty much walking distance from this hotel. There is even a subway steps away. I almost never get a free breakfast (95%) when I stay at hotels, no matter the stat rating. Thus, I was surprised to not only get breakfast with my stay, but get smorgasbord. The only problem I had was that my room was taken due to the fact that I did not call in a late check-in (a day later, ops!), but they quickly accommodated my needs even though this was my fault. If I was on a budget to NYC, I would stay here again, although I would want to explore another hotel next time in town, but that is just personal choice. Also, if you do want to stay in this area, there is a Hilton Gardens hotel right next door. After keeping the prices, don’t waste your time or money! Pick the Hampton.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family