“Big”

US$225.00*
Private Midtown Times Square Walking Tour
Ranked #22 of 1,116 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Two marble lions mark the entrance to this Beaux Arts masterpiece, a National Historic Landmark containing more than six million books.
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My son and I visited the Library Thursday August 7th, 2014. It felt like a museum. There was an area dedicated to WWI which we spent around 20 minutes in and then an area with history of children's books which we spent around 30 minutes in. Then we went to the store. Our feet were getting tired so we went outside and sat on the steps watching all the people go by.

There are newer reviews for New York Public Library

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Stephen A. Schwarzman building is the biggest, most beautiful library I've ever seen. I've passed it tons of times walking, but never actually walked in. So glad we made the visit inside this time! Beautiful architectural design of the walls and ceilings, absolutely breathtaking. Make sure you visit the 2nd floor and not just the 1st. Take a tour, check out the exhibits. Book store to purchase many old books. A definite must visit!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Went here to do family research. Loved the Millstein Reading Room - so many students in there doing their thing. Wonderfully ambient to family research, relaxed, helpful staff. Loved the store here too. The cafe was a bit of a let down - a box on wheels? Really??? You could do better NYPL - a real cafe with real food including gluten free offerings...not even a crumby biscuit which just about everyone has - cookies are not ideal but better than nothing. The main reading room was also closed because of structural issues I was advised - a shame as that is a huge attraction.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Although there are several locations around Manhattan, the Stephen A Schwarzman building on 5th Avenue is the biggest and the most breathtaking and the one you'll recognise from many movies and TV shows. It is absolutely stunning and you can't help but be impressed by it. Don't just go into the foyer though, climb the stairs and have a good walk around as the reading rooms are a thing of beauty, as are the many frescos throughout.

Be sure to also check out whatever exhibits are on. We were lucky enough to see 'The A B C of it - why children's books matter' exhibit. It was free, but I gladly would have paid for it, it was that good. With many of your favourite childhood books there, I was beside myself to see the original toys that A A Milne based Winnie the Pooh on. This is my favourite book ever and it was a once in lifetime opportunity for me, followed very closely by seeing the umbrella that P L Travers purchased that was part of the inspiration for Mary Poppins. Covering both the classics and more modern children's books, it is simply brilliant and well worth visiting.

There is also a great bookshop that is pretty reasonably priced and has some great books.

Once you've finished your visit (about 30-45 mins if you're not seeing the exhibits and up to 2 hours if you are) be sure to walk straight across 5th Avenue down 41st street and check out Library Way. It's a must for all bibliophiles.

1  Thank Ktsnowowl
Reviewed 11 August 2014

If I had known the main reading room was under construction, I don't know if I would have made the effort to go out of my way to see it. I'm still glad I did though. I enjoyed viewing the architecture, paintings, and original Winnie-the-Pooh. There was little space for an avid reader to sit down and enjoy the atmosphere, but reading outside in Brant Park sufficed.