“somehow different” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #317 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Milan, Italy
“somehow different”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

this hotel is located in Chelsea. The room where I stayed was really tiny, looked like a boat room. Still it was confortable. Free WiFi. No breakfast. Luggage storage service. Shared bathrooms/showers were clean and "unisex".
The price is good for New York standards, expansive if you think about what you get.

2 Thank mauhey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed at the Jane on a Friday and Saturday night with a friend while visiting NYC. The room is like, the smallest room I have ever stayed in. Also there is this funny thing where the lights will only work when you still this metal rod in a hole in the wall. But the bed was comfy and I was not disturbed by noise, which was my biggest concern.

I didn't like the bathroom situation though. My section which probably had 20-30 rooms only had ONE bathroom, which was coed. So basically I would be shaving, while some German girl was fixing her hair next to me, while some weird old man in tidy-whities came in to take a dump, all in not a very large space. Weird! The bathroom was well-maintained, but couldn't we at least have separate men's and women's bathrooms!? That is too Euro-trashy for my taste. Also the price was OK for New York, but I think still too expensive given the bathroom situation.

I am not sure I would stay here again, but it did make for a memorable experience!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank blondny
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I read about The Jane a couple of years ago and put it on my list of places to try. I stay in all sorts of places and don't mind spending money when I get the utility (I flew BA Club Class this trip to NYC) but I don't like spending money on a large room in NYC that I'll just sleep in.

The Jane is nearly perfect in this regard. It was cheap for NYC (I paid $100 a night) which compares to The Pod Hotel I've stayed in before and even run-down flea pits like The Larchmont. Bearing in mind the new Yotel here is about $300 a night and The Jane is a bargain.

But you get what you pay for. The single room is tiny as everyone on here notes so I wasn't surprised. But there was enough storage space above and below the bed to keep my stuff out of the way. I couldn't work out what was original and what was new in the room. They've been very well renovated down to the fake faded carpet that looks old but cannot be. The free wifi throughout the hotel was strong and fast. The staff are great. The bar, lounge and cafe are like stepping back into another era. In a good way.

Negatives: arriving at 12.30am I needed my sleep and the two girls in the next room came back at 2am and were laughing and talking until 4am. The soundproofing isn't great. Next time, I'd call reception. Ignorant cows. The bar prices are surprisingly high for a hotel that charges $100 a night. $14 for a mojito is higher end bar prices. The prices fit the bar ambiance not the hotel's positioning. I would have preferred a small wash basin in the room (you get one in The Pod
Hotel) and the room got quite hot at night and the fan is too noisy to have on when trying to sleep.

I don't mind shared bathrooms (they were always clean and curiously empty when I needed to use them) and you're provided with slippers and a robe for the thrilling journey down the corridor. The rest of the guests seemed to be youngish and fashionable rather than entry-level bargain seekers.

So I would return here very happily but wouldn't necessarily recommend it to everyone.

1 Thank Richard G
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed at the Jane with my 17 y/o daughter and it was perfect! Easy walk to Buddakan for a wonderful dinner and a short walk to Chelsea Market in the morning for great coffee and breakfast. We loved the decor of the hotel and the front desk. We got a bunk bed room, which was actually smaller than my closet at home. It was TINY! Smaller than a cruise ship room. It was what we were expecting so we were not shocked. It was so small my daughter took a picture and posted it to her Facebook page and got several comments. We had no problem with the shared bathroom, didn't run into anyone else using it.

We prefer to stay at inexpensive, clean hotels that are in great neighborhoods because it allows us to travel more often. We also enjoy quirky places with lots of character and try to avoid the big chains whenever possible. In NYC there is so much to do we only use our hotel room for sleep. The Jane bunkbed room is too small for anything but sleeping so if you will spend a lot of time in your room this is not for you.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

The Jane is in a great neighborhood, as a solo female traveler I was comfortable. The room is small but cozy with all that a lady needs. The shared bathrooms were clean and the showers were nicer than expected. Great restaurant downstairs with tasty dishes and waitstaff. No complaints here.....I will check into the Jane next time I visit NYC.

1 Thank weisenbergda
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

The Jane is awesome, period. It is like staying at a high-quality hostel, without the feel of a hostel. The check-in is stylish and quick. The service is superb. The rooms are small, VERY small, but that is the POINT of this hotel, so to be expected. I stayed in a bunk bed room with one other person. Loved everything about it. Air conditioning made the room temperature great. Everything was clean. The location is really the best for people who want to be close to the subway and the meat-packing district where all the trendy spots have emerged in NYC. I will stay at the Jane again. Do not stay here if you are obese as the room will be too small for you. Expect to talk to other guests in the open areas like the shower/bathroom space.

Room Tip: If going with a friend or a partner, choose the bunk bed option instead of double bed as it's a...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

What have could have been great experience ended up in a big disapointment. The whole style and website has a very positive spirit. And coming into the hotels is also very nice with the dressed employees. But the room......closet where you sleep in is very disapinting. It is a little more than 1,5 by 2,0 m with only a bed of 80 cm by 190 cm, The lounch bar will make this good. But the toilet on my floor was too dirty to sit on. Ok you can go to another place as man to the toilet. Because the lounge was very nice and there would be a DJ playing from 23PM I decided to come with my friends to the hotel. The bad thing was that we where rejected. Rekection is not a problem but how they treat you with rejecting you while you are a client in the building is really disapointing,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends