“Mixed feelings” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #317 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Netherlands
“Mixed feelings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

I ended up with mixed feelings after my stay in the Jane, as it was divided in a period of 4 nights and one more night after a visit to Chicago.
The first series of nights, I slept on the 6th floor (the top floor), at the end of a hallway, so nice and quiet. The room is terribly small as can be seen on the website. One wall consists entirely of a mirror, with a rod and some hooks above it, so it’s easy to cover up (I’ve passed the point where I want to see myself in the mirror all the time). There are some cupboards under the bed, a plank both at the foot end and above the bed that serve as even more storage space. So once you’re sorted it becomes possible to cope with the tiny space.
There is a fan that serves pretty good as an air cooler, a tv with a reasonable amount of channels and a decent reading light behind the head rest.
The floor had over 20 room (I counted a couple of times, but kept forgetting the number), with one bathroom consisting of one shower and 2 toilets, which I thought sparce…(little did I know…). However, I rarely had to wait and the view from the bathroom is quite nice (a bit of Hudson with Lady Liberty in the distance). The shower was fairly small, with no extra room to change and only one hook to hang all your stuff while you take your shower. Water strength and warmth was good, though, and the bathroom is as clean as you can expect from shared facilities. No complaints there.
The free bicycles the hotel supplies for it’s guests are a huge bonus! Use them!

But then I came back for one more night after a short trip to Chicago. This time I was on floor 4. In the first room past the door into the hallway….the hall was very, very long and turned out to be U-shaped…how many rooms? I couldn’t count, but many!!! Only 2 bathrooms….so a lot less per room than on the sixth floor. Still, here, too, I never had to wait that long….
When I first entered the room, I noticed it was wider than my former room. “Nice,” I thought. Only to find out the room is no bigger in square footage, which meant the bed was shorter….and I’m fairly tall (178 cm equals about 6.2ft)…I didn’t fit.
In my former room, I could flip the matrass so it was tilted towards the wall instead of the floor (only slightly, mind), but in this room, no such thing was possible as the mattress was cut to fit the odd shape of the room..(I took some pictures).
As I was sleeping at the beginning of the hallway, sleeping in was no option. Everybody was up at half past 6, including house keeping, hovering away…very, very noisy, with the door banging non-stop.
So, all in all, mixed feelings. If I were to review only the first 4 nights, I might have been persuaded to give this hotel a 5 star, given the price, the wonderful location, the free bikes (!) and wonderful staff.
But the last night did temper my enthusiasm a bit and I was happy to make my last move to the Brandon residence, where I got a wonderful roomy room for an even smaller price.
I’m not sure if I’ll be reviewing the Brandon, and it’s a women-only kind of place, but for solo women: if you want to consider a really nice budget option in another wonderful area (UWE), feel free to PM me. I did not regret my move one minute and will most certainly go back, which I’m not sure I will to the Jane…the lack of space did trigger my claustrophobic nature after 5 nights.
But it is still a great bargain in a lovely area and again, great staff!
(I thought I had more pictures of my first room, but I can't find them...if I do, I will add them later)

Room Tip: Aks for highest floor!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Meyem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

I booked this hotel because of the price but with serious reservations because of the negative feedback I had read in some reviews about bedbugs, noise from the bar downstairs, unhelpful staff, too hot/cold, etc. Well, after five nights in total (three before leaving for a trip to Central America and two on my return), I was much happier with my stay than I had expected. Yes, the room was possibly the smallest I have stayed in, but it was perfectly comfortable and I was frankly amazed at what they managed to pack into it, including a flatscreen TV, a safe (under the bed!), an selfset alarm, wall mirror, hooks for hanging stuff, etc. Never had problems with bedbugs to my great relief. And there were little thoughtful touches like the constantly refilled flasks of drinking water which i appreciated.

The service I found outstanding. The staff at reception were unfailingly courteous and helpful in the face of things like my locking myself out of my room, and I got great tips from them about restaurants and convenience stores in the area. My room was clean and neatly made up when I got back after a long day out, the used towels replaced. I really liked the cafe downstairs where I had excellent breakfasts and an occasional meal; it had casually stylish atmosphere that I had not expected in a budget hotel. The shared showers and toilets were kept clean and the former equipped with shampoo and body wash dispensers. I did have occasional problems with corridor conversation which carried into the room but these were passing nuisances and in general I found fellow hotel guests a well-mannered and considerate lot.

The location was excellent and would have made a stay there worth it even without the hotel amenities in themselves. It was a pleasure walking back to the hotel in the evenings through the quiet genteel-feeling neighborhood, yet the bustle of 8th and 9th avenues was just a few blocks away with a pick of quality restaurants and subway stations for a quick ride to the theater district. I concede that the room size and shared facilities would make me choose which friends to recommend it to but personally I am actually looking forward for a next trip to New York and staying there again.

Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank arthil_11
São Paulo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed at The Jane for 10 days. For the price you pay in NYC, it was actually pretty good. Rooms are clean, always tidy at the end of the day, clean toilets and always available for use. The service was very good, friendly staff (including a Portuguese-speaking) and available. The room is small but ideal for 1 or 2 people, should go more than that, better to book the captain's cabin. As I was on the 5th floor, I was not bothered by noise or nennhum insect. At check out there UJM problem in recovery, but that was promptly resolved by the responsible person at the reception. Almost every day there some kind of exclusive party, but the noise does not reach the fifth floor, so ask for an upper chamber and the window does not stay on the road side, you are not a beautiful view of the river, but as probably the room is only for sleeping, there will be missed. The hotel is very close to some subway stations and is in a bohemian, but peaceful, with several people walking down the street with their dogs at night. The Jane would be back in no problem.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

My name is Eddy Schoeters. I'm 58 years old. I've traveled extensively in Europe, Russia, Asia, Southern and Northern America. Since the US is one of our favorite destinations, we decided this year to revisit Philadelphia, Washington and to end the trip, as always, in NY. This is the first time - ever - that we'll be glad to leave NY. The reason for this is the hotel, The Jane.
My wife and I stayed 4 nights: 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 May 2012.
After our first day of visiting NY, we came back to room 214 and found the glasses we used the night before still standing dirty on the table, the bathtub wasn't cleaned and there were only two small towels left. We told the reception and they provided us with a clean set of towels. That night the music coming from the party-room below was so loud that we had the impression of trying to sleep on a giant ghettoblaster. Even with earplugs it was impossible to sleep. You could even feel the vibrations going through the bed. When we complained about this at the reception, they told us that there was a party going on that would last until 3am. It lasted until 5am. In the morning we returned to the reception to complain. After a while, some manager told us that they had a sound isolation problem. This was the first time somebody complained ... 99% of his costumers being satisfied. But as 'we are concerned about our costumers', he took note on post-its of the room-service problems. This was obviously, according to him, something that had to be corrected. We didn't have to pay for the previous night and were promised another room (another party was planned for the same evening). A bill for the first night would be sent through email.
After our second day of visiting NY, we came back and were given a room on the 5th floor, facing the street (503). This was even worse: the street noise from the adjacent highway is overwhelming. I also have to add that it is not your usual street noise. This one comes in bursts, regulated by the traffic lights in front of the hotel. It slows a little bit down around 3am and then increases again around 6am. Although we used Quies earplugs, a well known brand in France and Belgium, especially trucks and motorcycles were clearly audible all night long.
The next morning, we didn't bother to complain anymore, not seeing the use of it. But sInce I didn't receive the promised email, I asked the desk clerk. He sent another one but also made a print out: just in case. Until this day I haven't received any mail from the Jane. That night we found again dirty glasses, empty bottles and unemptied trashcans in our room. This time we simply asked the maid for two clean glasses: we didn't want the manager to spoil any more post-its.
I'm writing this in the airport waiting for my plane home. The lack of sleep gives me a splitting headache.
The original price for which we booked the room for four nights was 250$ per night. I've just checked the price they charged us for the past two nights: 325$ without taxes (375 with taxes). So, in the end we paid something like 750$ for NOT being able to sleep and for poor room service.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Aidi1016
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Arrived last night, directly from my family home, one night of no sleep because of the nightclub. I was in room 461, they moved me today to another room, then found a bed bug. So, I had to be showered, whilst they waited for my clothes, which were then steamed, as was the rest of my things. A staff member had to go through everything I have. The process is necessary, but violating. I have now been in my room for nearly 4hrs, in the ribe provided, and still have to wait for another 2hrs. They have offered me a free drink to compensate!! A few of the staff are rude and arrogant, and not too helpful.
So, not even one day into my 3 week stay, and all I want to do is go home.

The Jane? Dont do it.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel...or, if you do come, then pick a higher floor, and on the Jane St end
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Ktburt99
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thanks for writing. I'm so sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your stay with us, however I'm pleased to know you're still here and we will certainly do our best to turn things around for you. Bed bugs are an incredibly pervasive problem in New York at the moment. It would be irresponsible for a hotel in the city not to be prepared should an incident arise. As you can see, we are equipped with both the tools and the knowledge in order to exterminate should a guest come in contact with the pest. Please understand that while bed bugs do not carry any diseases they are incredibly difficult to get rid of. It is for this reason that we employ the method of heat in order to ensure a full eradication. All of our housekeepers are well aware of the signs of bed bugs and we often preemptively treat rooms in order to prevent bed bugs from entering the property. That being said, in any transient hotel the odds of bed bugs coming in with a guest are high considering the traffic inherent with this type of building. It is for this reason that we have prepared ourselves so well. We do apologize for the inconvenience. And yes, we did offer you a drink during your uncomfortable treatment period; however this was not the only recompense that was offered.

As for the attitude of the staff, I apologize if you encountered anything unbecoming regarding the behavior of our front desk. It is certainly always our intention to provide not only a smooth and uneventful check-in but also a simple friendly attitude and a smile whenever we can. I’m sorry to hear that you did not feel taken care of and I hope that changes during the rest of your stay. Please do let us know if there is anything specific we can help you with. We’re on duty 24 hours a day for you.

Thanks again for writing.
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

My husband and I stayed boutique hotel and loved the ambiance. However, the hotel manager
should learn to speak to the his employees with a civil tongue. While I was at the front desk getting my room key, he was berating an employee in a tone that was very rude and unprofessional. Guests should not be exposed to this kind of behavior and it had a negative effect on my stay.
I am not sure that I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a floor that does not have permanent occupants - especially if sharing a bathr...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012 via mobile

The Jane hotel is retro and classic in its design and decor. Hotels are super expensive in NYC and rarely can you find a hotel under $200 that won't be filthy. The Jane is cheaper however because your room is the size of a prison cell without your own toilet or shower but this suited me just fine. It is old and the carpet a little dated but that's all part of its charm. The shared bathrooms were super clean though. I love staying here because I can save a little money, it is in a great location in the Meatpacking district/ Greenwich Village with a trendy club and fab restaurant downstairs. The only thing that is a pain about the location is that all subwy stops are at least 3 blocks/ 10-15 min walk away. However you are in the heart of all the nightlife, restaurants and some shopping.

• Stayed May 2012