“Village Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #317 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Seattle, Washington
“Village Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

The Jane is a nifty hotel in a great location. The location on the corner of Jane and West streets means that you are real close to all the action that goes on in Greenwich Village and the Meatpacking district. The rooms are small, other people have commented on this, but this is New York City and the only thing you need a room for is to sleep and how much room do you need for that? The desk staff are very helpful and pleasant to deal with. The restaurant is a slice of Paris in New York and there are plenty of other options near by. For me the only drawback are the oh so special people who crowd the street and lobby waiting for access to the nightclub. They make the hotel guests seem like something they stepped in. Other than that I really like this hotel and will be staying there again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write. We're glad you enjoyed yourself. Come back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
bangor maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Lovely quaint hotel, great restaurant, pleasant service, good value.Loved using the bikes. I was puzzled by the cigaret smell in the hallway coming out of the elevator, I thought New York does not allow smoking rooms, but otherwise no issues.

Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Jane has a wonderful classy feel to it, that you see the tiny rooms as an eccentricity. The free bicycles, excellent service, extraordinary restaurant and beautifully redone ball room - bar lounge make the visit worthwhile.

We stayed a week, and managed to get into a rhythm of when to use the black checkered tile bathrooms, when to wash and hang out smalls to dry in the room (we took along a length of string and pegs so we had a way to hang other clothes too), what to use house keeping for etc.

Good qual wifi, TV and the aircon worked great. We wld have loved a bit more common space such as the roof top or courtyard, which are not available to guests. The bar was used at least three times for private events too, but being so conveniently located, we merely went out.

It wld be good if they put up more shelving and luggage racks in the room. This is the only suggestion we have.

Loved our stay. Vert unique and a great way to visit Manhattan.

Room Tip: Pick the biggest you can afford, and ask for a North facing one, into the courtyard so you don't...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Albany, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

The room is 50sq ft. It includes a single mattress on a wooden bunk with two drawers underneath and a space to put your luggage (also underneath). There are two shelves that are not even a foot wide. There is no closet and no hangers, only small hooks. There is no sink in the room, unlike most other hotels that have bathrooms in the hallway.

There are more than 50 rooms per floor, all sharing a total of four showers, two large sinks, and four toilets. Not surprisingly there is a strong smell of mildew that was almost overpowering especially when brushing my teeth.

They charge your credit card an extra $50 a day "for incidentals" (which is supposed to be refunded afterwards) but there are no apparent incidentals to purchase. I have never had any hotel do this before. The bar refused to charge my drink to my hotel room - belying any conceivable rationalization for this charge authorization.

No amenities, no business center, nothing.

The management is rude and arrogant. When I checked out one nice young woman named Toni asked how my stay was and I proceeded to tell her. An older man proceeded to castigate me for my language and pretended to call the police on me. I asked for a form to complain and was provided with an "incident report form"; a manager came out and also proceeded to castigate me and ordered the employee to call the police. Clearly there is no interest in improving the experience for customers, as the only response was "This is not the hotel for you."

If you agree that an abusive experience is not the hotel you want, I hope you will join me in not patronizing this establishment.

Room Tip: There are none as far as I know.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank AHC2002
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

i needed a budget option for the last few days of my trip and could not be more impressed with The Jane. Location is perfect for hanging out in the meatpacking and west village areas, subway 10mins walk so easy to get around. Staff were welcoming and helpful, the shared facilities were kept spotless and no issues with waiting for a shower. the bar is a great place to hang out too, seemed a bit of a west village hotspot. I was there for four nights and would have happily stayed longer, yes the rooms are small (I had a single cabin) but there is underfed storage and hooks on the wall for hanging your stuff up, so I didn't find it space an issue at all. This was my fourth trip to NYC and my first time staying at the Jane, would fully recommend it regardless of budget, its a cool place to stay with plenty of charm about it.

1 Thank Elaine F
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

We were only staying in New York for one night before we flew home so we were looking for somewhere cost effective but in our favourite location in New York. I came across the Jane on Tripadvisor and found the idea of a shared bathroom and a bunkbed kind of novel so we went for it. When we checked in the staff were fantastic, the overall look of the hotel is so kitschy and cool, from the wooden panelling to the bellhop uniforms we felt like we had stepped back in time! The "room" itself was hilarious, it was the length of the bunkbed and double the width, we just started laughing our heads off when we walked in. We knew it would be cramped but we hadn't considered space for our bags which became a bit of an issue when we were trying to manouvre! The shared bathrooms were spotless and again they were charming with old fashioned faucets and tiling. There wasn't an issue with congestion either which I had expected when we were showering at peak times. We didn't know there was a cool lounge area until we were checking out, which was a pity, it looked like a nice spot to drink a glass of red read a book. All in all it was an experience! It was manageable for one night, okay for two, but I think any longer than that and we would have throttled each other!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Lugano, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The Jane Hotel is the quintessential NYC find. If you want to feel as if you LIVE in NYC, while you visit NYC, stay here. I lived in NYC for nine years and recently needed a place to stay when I visited. I stayed at The Jane, because I always wanted to live in the Village, and I was so delighted with my choice. What a NYC find! Huge compliments to the courteous and professional staff, the warm welcome, and the cleanliness of the hotel. The vintage quirky sailor rooms are super fun. Is it possible that Hermann Melville would have stayed in a place like this? YES. Would even Bartleby the Scrivener have liked it? YES. The shared bathrooms are immaculate and kept clean, clean, clean. The elevator takes a little bit of time; budget your leave-taking accordingly. The lattes in the restaurant are divine. I highly recommend The Jane. I will stay here on my next visit to NYC.

Room Tip: Ask to stay on a higher floor and away from the bathrooms. My room had a slice view of the Statue of...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business