“Showers, Sheets and Service, Oh My!”
Review of The Jane

The Jane
Ranked #303 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Tampa, FL
“Showers, Sheets and Service, Oh My!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The showers, sheets and service at this hotel are reason enough to stay here. NY hotels, for the most part, lack quality in all three areas. But not The Jane. They must have spent a fortune to bring in the very best of these items. It's a Wow Experience to say the least. The hotel is quiet, a bit of a walk from anything exciting, but a nice break from the frantic pace of the city. Our Captain's Quarters room faced the Hudson, which was nice, and I greatly appreciated the small details of the room that made it exceptional (i.e, multi-level dimming lights, pretty fixtures, textured wallpaper and lovely vintage furnishings.) Front desk service was out of this world. If I were a wealthy hotel owner, I'd snag up every one of their staff members and pay them to come work for me. The only thing I did not like (which I don't think is directly associated with this hotel) was breakfast at the snooty French place on the first floor. Really crappy service from a pretentious, uncaring young lady.) Stay at this hotel! Just go someplace else for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JenniferLutz
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Thanks for writing. We're happy you enjoyed yourself and our staff sends their best! I apologize if you were unhappy with service at the cafe. I can assure you that the General Manager takes this quite seriously and would be happy to have a dialogue if a guest is less than satisfied.

Thanks again for writing!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I recently stayed here for a couple of nights on the tail end of a business trip. The staff were lovely and really helpful. The room was a good size (though I'm rather small), and there was more than enough room. Right in the heart of the Village area of Manhattan, and so many great places to shop and eat. Cafe Gitane on the ground floor has decent food at decent prices and the bar is a good place to meet fellow travellers. I was on the 3rd floor, and the only thing I would say is that if you're a light sleeper, take ear plugs! I was woken at 4am each morning with drunk revellers outside the building and taxi drivers beeping their horns! The noise might be so bad a couple of floors up. Despite this, I would absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better! Pack ear plugs if you're a light sleeper!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Fiona T
Thanks for writing. We're happy you enjoyed your stay! We apologize for the noise. Please feel free to reach out prior to your next stay to request a room on a high floor and we'll see what we can do.

We hope to see you again soon!
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed at The Jane this last October and it was awesome! It is not for everyone, I imagine, but if you ever traveled in Europe in your youth and embraced the youth hostel environment, this will bring back great memories. While there are nice captains room that offer their own private bathrooms, I prefer the bunkbed rooms. Are they small? Yes. Are they cramped? Yes. Do you need to walk down the hall to use the bathroom? Yes. However, the room is clean, efficient and a one of a kind experience. The front desk staff was gracious and accomodating. The cafe in the lobby has coffee to die for. All the beautiful cool people queue up in the lobby to enter the ballroom late at night.You can safely walk to the subway, meatpacking district and all the while feel like a local. This hotel is a reprieve from Times Square and all the other touristy places. I felt safe, the room\bathroom was clean and most of all I left there feeling like I had an experience of a lifetime. I will be back.

Room Tip: The captain rooms vary, some have views of the Hudson River, the Statue of Liberty, some have huge p...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to make your next stay even better. Thanks for writing.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed for six nights in a captains cabin. We had an unobstructed view of the Hudson River and sunsets were magnificent. The highlights....the best pillows of any place we have stayed. The showers are as good as you will get anywhere. The whole place reeks history, and we were happy to go along for the ride. Cafe Cittadines is a treat and a great place to watch the passing parade. The location of The Jane is perfect. Stay long enough and you will start to feel a part of the local community. The front of house staff are welcoming, friendly and knowledgeable. The downsides....household staff appear to be under pressure and our room was not serviced until after 4.30 most days. Quality of servicing was patchy and inconsistent despite daily tipping. i feel that Household staff are under pressure to turn around short stay rooms quickly, so longer term customers are left until last. Not always the best strategy. The window mounted air con was noisy ( we had some unseasonably warm October
nights ) and not really effective. We would be very happy to stay again due to the location, front of house service - and immersion in a very special piece of architectural and social history. The Jane was recommended to us by a friend, and was one of the reasons that we decided to extend our tine in NY. We were not disappointed. If you enjoy quirky and unusual, this is the place for you. If you want predictable and bland, go to one of the chain hotels.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wazzap54
Thanks for taking the time to write. We're happy you enjoyed yourself and we'll send the staff your best! I apologize if you found service to be lacking in any respect. We are happy to service rooms earlier at the request of our stay over guests. Please feel free to let us know and we'll take care of you.

Come back soon!
Helsinki
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I recently stayed at the Jane for, well, forever :-) I had booked 18 nights with them for my stay in NYC and here's some of what I thought.

Pros:
-> Absolutely loved the location - in the Meatpacking District, within walking distance to everywhere in the Village. This was great for dining - so many options and it felt very safe walking around all of these areas
-> When you've managed to secure a room away from the 2nd floor nightclub, away from the Westside Highway and away from the 6th floor roof terrace, you'll be getting a really good night's sleep. I was initially on the 6th floor and slept like a baby. Eventhough people are walking up and down the corridor using the bathroom facilities, I never heard a thing during the nights and loved the rest I was getting
-> All of the staff is very friendly and helpful. I had one issue during my stay which Chris, the manager, sorted out immediately so was very pleased about this
-> The shared bathrooms were very clean, most of the time. I never had to queue up to use any of the facilities
-> The airco unit in the room was a bit noisy, but worked really well. Never had problems with the temperature in the room

Cons:
-> Well, the shared bathrooms aren't exactly ideal, are they... I mean it was a lot better than I ever thought it would be, but the fact you're sharing is still a bit of a con. Please bring along proper slippers or flipflops that can only be worn in the shower
-> Any room near the nightclub, roof terrace or the Westside Highway will be very noisy at night
-> Housekeeping was quite sloppy at times and it was frustrating having to ask for the same things over and over again. I mean this is not a big issue, but especially when I was staying for this long, it just got a bit old always having to call up about the same stuff
-> The decor is quite old - in the sense of the carpet and furnishings really having been there for ages. This combined with the fairly sloppy housekeeping didn't really leave me feeling like I was staying in the world's cleanest place, but this was outweighted by the fact that I was getting a good night's sleep and again, the location is just fantastic

So all in all, this was a good experience - my issue with the room was sorted promptly and I felt safe and comfortable staying here as a female travelling alone. So although the bathroom facilities are shared, this is certainly more of a hotel rather than a youth hostel so don't let that put you off for booking at good prices in this fantastic location!

Room Tip: Please ask to be located away from the 2nd floor nightclub, the 6th floor roof terrace or the any ro...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank AroundTheWorld2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We're happy you enjoyed your stay and we have been sorting out the housekeeping issues you mentioned so thank you for notifying us. If you should have anything else to add please feel free to reach out prior to your next visit. Which we hope will be soon! Until then...
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Great hotel and friendly staff but if jet lagged brits who cannot party all night the disco from 12 midnight to 4 am is an ordeal .The staff could at least provide earplugs or put you at the front of the hotel for the thursday /friday /saturday disco experience .Unless you are out there of course .
However we would return but armed with ear defenders because it is a special place near to the Hudson River Park and the village .

Room Tip: Ask about noise if you aren't going to be out all night partying .
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear that you were disturbed by noise. We are happy to provide ear plugs at the front desk or to find you a more suitable room away from traffic if possible. Our Ballroom Management has been alerted to the disturbance.

Thanks again for writing. We hope to see you again soon.
fl
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The Jane, in the west village was great. The staff couldn't have been nicer. Two blocks from a grocery and bus stop. Walkable to 9/11 Memorial, Battery Park, the Seaport, Chinatown, Little Italy. Price was such a lucky find. They even have free bicycle use.

Room Tip: I got the twin beds that face the Hudson. Great view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank magdaluvn f
We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Come back soon!