“Cool old style hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #317 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Seinajoki, Finland
“Cool old style hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Spent a night here with my boyfriend on the way home. The place looks really cool inside, like an old cruise boat and everything was clean. Shared bathroom was close by and also clean. Our room was really really tiny, but there was everything we needed and the staff was really nice. Boyfriend is 6ft tall and he had no trouble sleeping in the bunk bed. There were water bottles in the room, which was a nice touch. Only bad things were that the heater was heating A LOT (might be that we just didn't know how to operate the thing) and that the hotel isn't really close to the metro or the sights. As an experience or for people who don't plan on being in the room a lot, I'd recommend any time. I really liked the place.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay!

I apologize if the heat was overbearing. Please feel free to request a room which faces the exterior of the building for next time as these often have better airflow.

We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
PDX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

We booked our night here as we were laying over on our way to Philadelphia. What a treat. My husband and I were upgraded to a Captains Cabin, despite only booking the double bunk room.
After a long flight, we decided to have dinner in the restaurant. The food was well priced and the service was excellent.
The room itself was spacious and spotlessly clean. Though finding the rooms can be a little confusing as the halls are catacomb like. Reviews I read spoke about a rooftop bar, however it's only open for functions.
There is a downstairs bar/club which at about 3am, I was woken to the soft pounding of music. Slightly annoying, but not so disturbing I couldn't get back to sleep.
The bathrooms are well appointed with large, deep bathtubs. So deep they may be a problem for some people to get in and out of as the bath walls are rather high.
We had breakfast in the same restaurant the next morning and it was a wonderful surprise to this Australian to see they had Vegemite on Toast on the menu!
All in all we had a great stay at The Jane - if I was a tourist visiting NYC for a longer length of time, I think I would choose a hotel closer to the attractions. However if you don't mind the subway / bus travel to your daily attractions, this would be an ideal hotel for you!

Room Tip: Spend a couple of extra bucks a night and get a room with facilities. If you do, ask if you can get...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kylie S
Thanks for writing! We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon. Let us know if we can do anything else in the meantime.

Warm Regards.
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I spent a week in The Jane whilst travelling across America, it is a gem of a place. Didn't eat there but the room is perfect for a solo traveler on a budget, comfortable with amenities. Wasn't sure how I felt about sharing bathroom facilities but they were always kept clean and never had any trouble. When I got an ear infection the concierge were only happy to arrange a hospital appointment for me and sort out transport.

Lovely location as well.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Parkjosephh
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights in the small one person room, however it had everything you needed. TV, safe, free water, and lots of cubbies and hooks to store stuff. Shared bathrooms were clean and had toiletries available. Front desk was very nice and the area was awesome. Overall a small room and shared facilities but very well worth it for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

A friend and I spent 14 nights at The Jane, and whilst our room was absolutely tiny (we had a bunk cabin), I couldn't have been happier with The Jane. The hotel is clean, the service is attentive and friendly and in terms of location you really can't get much better. All of this for an extremely reasonable price.

I will definitely be recommending The Jane to any of my friends who travel to NYC, and will most certainly be staying there on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dan C
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I recently stayed in NYC for two nights at a weekend. I was looking for a cheap room but not something that was sub standard. The Jane had good reviews and on arrival it was easy to see why.

I chose a cabin, which are very small but it is clear that this is what you are getting. The bed was comfortable, there was a good selection of TV channels to watch while planning my stay and the shared bathrooms were clean and tidy. The luggage space was perfect for my hold luggage and to find a safe in such a small room was particularly pleasing.

I found the front desk staff to be excellent, very attentive and smartly dressed in period uniforms. A left luggage service was available, which was perfect on my final day, allowing me to explore NYC for a bit longer before heading to the airport.

I would recommend this hotel for solo travelers who are looking to explore Manhattan due to the good location and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Be aware exactly what you are booking, the cabins are very small but perfect if you plan on explorin...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank birdieb23
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We drove into New York City on a Friday night and parked our car in the garage across the street. Upon entering the hotel, we were greeted immediately by two men standing behind the counter. It took us a second to respond as we were admiring the tall ceilings and awe-inspiring ambiance of the entrance. He took our name and after checking our reservation, gave us our room key - a key and a large brass rod together. I am sure we looked a little puzzled but he explained that the brass rod was to turn on the power to the room. Unsure what he meant, we made our way up the old elevator to the top floor and found our room out of several doors along a narrow hallway. Don't be mislead by our descriptions of old and narrow because everything we saw was intriguing and great quality. I felt as though I was in a hostel in Europe as very few people were speaking English and they were so friendly.
Our room was so cute with its bunkbeds, flat screen tvs and comfortable blankets and pillows. The brass rod we were unsure did just as explained. You placed it in a hole next to the power switch and it turned on the power to the room. When we left, we unplugged it and everything turned off - a wonderful energy saver. Our room had no bathroom so we had to sneak out in our pjs to a bathroom just a couple doors down. The toilets were in their own stalls with full walls and doors and one had an amazing view over the city! The shower was separate with a nice rainshower faucet and dispensers of soaps - all spotless and shiny.
After a great sleep, we checked out the cafe on the first floor. Wonderful coffee and a nice assortment of creative breakfasts to choose from. Again, we saw so many folks from different countries enjoying their stay as much as us. If you are looking for a nice experience, quality and a little history - we highly recommend The Jane.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple