“My hotel of choice in NYC”
Review of The Jane

The Jane
Ranked #301 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“My hotel of choice in NYC”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Granted I travel on a budget, and am really only concerned with having a place to rest my head. The rooms are clean and quiet. The bed was good enough. The Jane has charm, wonderful service, and a tasty restaurant off the lobby. The neighborhood is cute, but as with NYC be prepared to walk or drive to get anywhere specific. Plenty of free parking in the area if you don't mind the street. The Jane is my first choice of where to stay when I go to NYC!

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank kipthefish

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I just spent a week at The Jane and would highly recommend it. The cabins are indeed small, really small, but for this trip I wasn't planning on spending time in a hotel room- therefore The Jane was perfect. However, having worked in hotels I am fussy and know the deal. I could not fault the cleanliness of both the rooms and shared bathrooms. They were constantly being cleaned and the showers were beautiful rain showers. The room had great little features like fresh water daily, bathrobes and slippers, TV, loads of storage, opening windows and room service from Cafe Gitane downstairs.
Cafe Gitane was lovely for breakfast and the bar was super cool, I felt comfortable having a drink on my own in the evening. On the weekend nights it's crazy busy and a bit noisy, but it's all part of the charm. The neighbourhood was awesome. I loved roaming the streets and discovering new places everyday. So close to The Chelsea Market- fantastic places to eat and the start of The Highline which was gorgeous even during a very cold week in New York. The staff were always friendly and I would totally recommend The Jane for a funky little sanctuary in NYC for people who want to spend their time and money out doing things! I will totally be back! Thank you for a very memorable stay.

Stayed March 2014
7 Thank Emmaks2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 March 2014

If you're in NYC on a budget, the Jane is for you. The rooms are tiny but clean and adequate. Shared bathrooms but they're actually nice- great shower. Staff is very friendly and the hotel is beautiful. The area is nice and felt safe. There are tvs in the rooms, towels, shampoo and other shower supplies in the bathroom, and a safe under the beds- we could fit too laptops.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank elchayeb
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 March 2014

My wife and I spent a Friday night at the Jane based on reviews from fellow trip advisors. We arrived mid afternoon and were able to find a free parking spot on the street a block from the hotel. Don't know if we were just lucky but it sure beat paying $50+ at the parking garage across the street! We were met at the door by a bell hop complete with the authentic outfit who helped us carry our bags up the steps to the lobby. Check in was fine although when I made the reservations with the hotel, I specifically requested a king size bed but they had us in a room with a full size bed. Thankfully they were able to give a king bed. If not, that would have been a big negative. The room was completely adequate and very old-fashioned in appearance which my wife really liked. She called it "bohemian". Great rainfall shower head. The only complaint is there is no way to adjust the heat in your room. It was quite warm and we had the ceiling fan going all night. We were on the second floor and could just hear the DJ downstairs but not enough to bother us. We were in room 202. Had a great breakfast in the hotel's restaurant albeit expensive ($40 with tip). Would we stay there again? We're already planning to do so.

Room Tip: On a Friday night there was a DJ going until the early morning hours. We were on the second floor an...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank itsfordoc
New York
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Room is indeed very small, service is at good and friendly level. Water on the room for free but not the bottle Sanitary is clean and well working. Location is very central, lots of nice shops and food

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I spent three nights on the third floor. The cabin sure is small, but it is full of character and fits all travel needs. You can smartly store your luggage under the bed or on the shelve above it, plug in your chargers and surf the web or slip into your bathrobe and go take a rain shower. Room was a little cold at night but it was winter time after all. Housekeeping did a good job and the shared bathroom was clean at any time of the day.
Staff is professional and correct.

Plus: a charming neighbourhood with plenty of breakfast opportunities and historic sights. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if you're a light sleeper. I didn't have any trouble sleepi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank p4ul1n3
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Super unique hotel tucked far away from the hustle. At the west end of Jane Street with views of the Hudson and Jersey. The interior is pretty neat and the common areas are filled with character. We had a bunk room which was unbelievably small, but it really made no difference to us, I was travelling with my father and we didn't spend much time in the room anyways. We obviously had no bathroom in out room due to the size, but the common/shared bathrooms were squeaky clean and the showers ran hot water at all hours of the day.

Overall a great value for the location and there seems to be plenty going on just a short walk from the general area. The night we were there the ground floor common room was closed for a private party which looked really neat. If you're just looking for a place to stay with great vibes and a helpful staff, this is totally the place. If you're not minimalist travelers like we are and want a big room with your own bathroom, probably not the place to stay

That being said:
10/10 would stay again.

Room Tip: The bunk rooms are literally the size of a closet. But in NYC, will you be spending all that much ti...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends