“Small, but awesome”
Review of The Jane

The Jane
Ranked #311 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

If you make up your mind before for tiny rooms and shared bathroom, you will find it awesome. Because, except these two, everything is excellent from price, location, staff and cleanliness. Perfect for solo visitors.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Arvind K
Write a ReviewReviews (1,439)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I grew up a few blocks from the Jane, back in the 60's, so I have somewhat of a vantage point. Build in 1907 as a rest spot for sailors, this hotel breathes history and is in superb condition. It housed survivors from the Titanic in 1912. Beautiful building with a historic lobby and bar. Also has a restaurant.

Located in a great neighborhood in the West Village, two block from the High Line and right across the street from the Hudson River and park. Loads of restaurants. Only a mile or two from midtown Manhattan and the theater district. The prices of the rooms are reasonable, low to mid 100's for the smaller rooms and mid 200's for the larger rooms.

There are three types of rooms, the Standard, the Bunk, and the Captain's Cabins. The Standard, which is one bed, and the Bunk which is two beds, have the same incredibly small size of 50 square feet. That's about the same size as the bathrooms in most regular hotels. Don't forget that these rooms were build for sailors over a hundred years ago. It's especially tight in the Bunk rooms, where it's pretty easy to fall off the ladder right onto the person below.
The Captain's Cabins are much larger at 250 square feet.

The bathrooms and showers are shared down the hall and are very clean and offer sufficient privacy. The restaurant is nice but overpriced. The front desk and lobby staff are very courteous as are the staff that cleans the rooms, but some of the maintenance staff that clean the halls and bathrooms are less than polite. Lastly, the lamp fixtures over the bunks in our room had loose wires and seemed potentially dangerous.

I would recommend the bunk rooms only for people that either have good gymnastic skills and/or are up to the adventure of it all. The standard cabins with one bed are better. I would recommend the Captain's rooms for those that have more money to spend and don't want to deal with the gymnastics.

Overall, despite the flaws, this hotel is an adventure well worth having.

Room Tip: Don't try to fit two people into the single bed standard cabins. The mattresses aren't larg...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Rick A
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Jane's location is fantastic especially if you plan to spend time wandering around the West Village and Chelsea. The area is laid back but central. The budget rooms are TINY but what they lack in size they make up for in character and quirkiness. The shared bathroom was always clean and shiny in our experience. Best of all, the staff are charming, super friendly, and couldn't have done any more to make our stay fun and easy. Really amazing value for Manhattan.

Room Tip: There was a bit of door slamming going on in the corridor. I guess the rooms furthest from the bathr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky S
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The Jane Hotel feels like a place a Wes Anderson film was based on. Well designed, everything is considered, but still subtle, charming, authentic and low key. Everyone told me not to stay there because of the small rooms and communal bathrooms, but everything is tight quarters in New York - so deal with it - it's only $100 a night and in a great part of town! Plus, I think that adds to the charm and immediately attracts a unique breed of clientele to the place. It's like sleeping on a boat. Even if you don't stay there, the bar is awesome. Free open wifi is a huge plus too. The only negative I had was the smell of cigarette smoke in my room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Matthew T
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The Jane.............where to start??? This hotel was sooo good in sooo many ways!! First off, the location is awesome; far enough away from the craziness of midtown; but walking distance to most of NYC attractions! If not walking distance, there are bikes avalible or subways (5 min walk from hotel). Secondly, the staff was amazing and kinda hilarious; from the moment we arrived they went out of there way to help us with anything we needed (bags, resturant recomendations, directions, car service, ect.) all while smiling, joking around and/or singing. Between the location and staff I would definately stay here again!!

I was traveling with my boyfriend and when I told him we were staying in a hotel with bunk beds and shared coed bathrooms, he definately thought I was crazy and that we would be scrambling to find new accomidations for the weekend, but shockingly he seemed to love it as much as I did!! As advertised the rooms are tiny.... but equipted with everything you need for a weekend in the city. Bathrobes, towels, toiletries, slippers and water were supplied and despite the size of the room we had more than enough storage space for our clothes and shoes. We were only visiting for 3 nights, so bunk beds were not an issue for us. The room and bathrooms were very clean, and although it is a very old building, it appeared to be maintained well without losing its character.

There is a bar downstairs which gets very busy on the weekends, we stayed on the 3rd floor and could not hear anything, the only slightly annoying thing about this bar is after arriving back to the hotel after a long day is having to wait/squeeze through the lobby to get up to your room. This wasnt a big issue for us, but worth a mention.

I would 100% stay at the Jane again, maybe we opt for one larger bed opposed to bunkbeds if we were to stay longer than 3 nights next time.....

Overall, great hotel with a great history ( do the ' free tours by foot' darkside of the High Line if you want to hear some cool stories about The Jane), all for a great price!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LVC404
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Jane was recommended to me by a friend who lives in the West Village - it's definitely the cheapest around, and absolutely spotlessly clean. I stayed here 4 nights and wasn't disappointed. The area is amazing, you can walk around at night feeling completely safe and see a ton of restaurants and bars. I walked over to Washington Square Park and there was a guy playing the grand piano in there, on the weekends only apparently, so cool to see. The rooms are very small unless you splash out for a Captain's Cabin (Which I didn't), but they've got everything you need and in an area like that let's face it you're doing something wrong if you're in your room the whole time. Only a few blocks to the C train which gets you to Central Park/Museum of Natural History etc. I got a cab to the Empire State Building for less than $10. The free wifi is good, sometimes it won't let you on in the weekend because there are too many people on the network but that didn't last long. Really friendly service, I would definitely return and recommend it to anyone else I know going to NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view to the street if you can get it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank NataNewZealand
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I loved my stay at the Jane. I loved the trendy location, away from the more touristy areas. It's about a 10 minute walk from the subway.
The rooms are tiny, but I knew that when I booked. The shared bathrooms were always clean and I never had to wait. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the bar downstairs was a nice place to enjoy a drink after a long day of exploring.
My only two complaints are that I stayed in March and I couldn't control the heat in my room - it was way too hot, but I was able to open the window which helped a little. And there was a really gross smell near the fourth floor elevator.
Overall, I loved this hotel and would definitely stay here again. It's perfect for solo female travellers as I always felt safe walking around in this neighbourhood.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo