“Great Value for Money, although a little tight.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Jane

The Jane
Ranked #309 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Great Value for Money, although a little tight.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Had a great stay here. Staff are very friendly and helpful and the location is great!

I had a bunk bed room with a friend, and the room is nicely done, but very tight, we had no room for our suitcases.

The bathrooms are nice and very clean, I never had to wait for the bathroom or shower, and the dressing gown was lovely and soft.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Benjamin A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The rooms are very small, though clean. We spent minimal time in the room. We borrowed the free bikes from the hotel to take us around Manhattan. The hotel is quite well placed on the west side, close to great running routes along the Hudson River, close to good restaurants and metro.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 34h
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I stayed over 3 night at the Jane hotel, with the simple objective of a cheap place to sleep. New York being the city it is friends have limited possibility to put visitors up. For this objective the hotel works very well. Rooms are super tiny so you dont want to spend more time in there than for sleep. It is a dynamic and young hotel with a busy bar. I was however never disturbed by late noise but would wake up in the morning around 7-8 am from people in the corridor. Not being loud but the rooms are not very insulated. When I was there it was around 30C in temperatures and the room got really hot in the morning, and one couldnt open the window completely.

On the positive side the room and shared bathrooms were always extremely clean and there was never a need to wait for shower or toilets. So was never bothered by having to share these facilities. The staff was also helpful and kind.

The restaurant/bar/brasseri/cafe Cafe Gitane at the bottom floor has a very nice atmosphere and tasty bites at good price. Lovely staff here on top!

Finally there is a hotel bar at the roof top with terrace that is very nice and well worth a visit if staying there!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mllelle
Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

To be fair, I had the smallest possible... To really put it in perspective of how small the rooms are, a man under 6 ft could touch both walls width wise (easily) at the same time. The room was about half the size of an average walk in closet, maybe 7 feet, by 3.5 feet. Community bathrooms on each floor (with a bit of a line). If you're young, on a budget, and don't care about sharing a bathroom with 60 other people, this is for you!

Room Tip: Ask for a room opposite from a corner with a bathroom, as you'll hear people outside waiting in...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Nick S
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Everyone comments on how small the rooms are ... but the rooms are so beautifully decorated and fitted out to seem like an exotic steamship cabin. Even though I was there during the weekend ... I rarely even saw anyone in the shared bathroom. I wished I had brought a mesh bag for my shower gear though as it would be easier to manage in the stall showers. When I am in NYC, I don't spend much time in my room anyway and here the price is right. Plus a diverse and interesting clientele.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Highlander770
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Good value for a west side Manhattan hotel. Stayed in the bunk bed room. Small, but when we spent all day out and about, its worth it. Baths are nice. Hotel is also a 2 minute walk from a parking garage.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank 972BOB
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

After reading so many great reviews I figured I'd give this place a try. I wanted to write this review to warn people about the potential nightmare they may face if they choose to stay here. The Jane has bed bugs. If I felt that this place actually treated the rooms properly to attempt to remove the problem then I wouldn't be so harsh, but I highly doubt that this place takes the steps necessary to rid its rooms of bed bugs.

I stayed here July 5-8. I cut my stay by a night after finding bed bugs. That's when my nightmare began and my trip took a turn for the worst. I noticed the bites on my arm and a few on my legs. After seeing a bug on my bed I went immediately to the front desk and told them. They seemed to doubt that I had bed bugs even after I showed them my arm and the bug. Anyway, they set me up in a new room, provided me with new linens, had me shower, and “treated” my stuff. After getting into my new room and getting my "treated" clothes back to wear I went to the restroom and found a bed bug on my bra and one seemed to fall from my hair or shoulder. At that point I had to get out. I told the front desk again. They "treated" my clothes again and I showered. I booked myself into the Hilton. It was late so I had to book it for the following night. I ended up spending the remainder of the night hanging out in the Jane lobby. In the middle of the night the doorman brought my “treated” belongings back. They had supposedly been treated with heat, but oddly enough a number of the items were not warm. I didn't sleep wink that night. Early in the morning I headed to the Hilton.

After leaving the Jane I found a bug on me the next day.

Below is a list of the damage. I was charged for all of my nights booked at the Jane even the night I spent in the lobby ($105 to hang out in the lobby). My night at the Hilton was $250. In the next town I visited I had to book extra nights at a hotel rather than staying with a friend ($500). I was afraid of bringing bed bugs to his place. I ended up throwing out many of my belongings ($250+) that I brought on my trip out of fear that there might be bed bugs on them, and that doesn't factor in the items I damaged while trying to clean what I kept. I bought a box (thermalstriker ranger) to heat my belonging in order to kill the bed bugs that might be there ($200+). I lost a lot of sleep and "free" time during my trip. I spent hours on my trip washing my clothes multiple times, cleaning my suitcase, and doing whatever I could to help resolve the problem (packing everything in ziplock bags). The bugs could have been anywhere. I didn't want my boyfriend hugging me. I didn't want to sit on things. I was afraid (still am) of my belongings thinking that they may be contaminated.

The physical, mental, emotional, and financial stress caused by this is not worth staying at the Jane. I am traumatized by this. I'm home now and I'm still freaking out. Washing the clothes I've worn. Heating up/treating my luggage. Afraid to sit on my couch in case there is anything on me.

I understand that you could get bed bugs from any place, but I truly believe that the problem at the Jane is due to the fact that they are not taking care of the problems they have. The place seems to be infested.

Peace of mind worth a lot. Spend a little more and stay somewhere else that's cleaner and more trustworthy. In the end I spent so much on this mess. In case you weren't counting in my above paragraph this has cost me an additional $1200 and counting.

The Hilton was great. It was clean. The staff was awesome. Even after I told them that I came from a place that had bed bugs they couldn’t have been nicer. They even sent the head of house keeping up to look at all my belongings. She inspected all of my clothes and my suitcase. They were just fabulous. Totally wished I would have stayed there from the beginning.

Do yourself a favor and don’t stay at the Jane. It may be cheap and charming, but it isn’t worth it. I think the psychological issues I got from this will last long after my bug bites are gone. Every time I see a speck of dirt or feel the movement of a piece of thread against my skin I think there might be a bug on me.

If my review doesn't convince you to not stay here then google some of the other jane reviews that involve bed bugs.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo