“Just about perfect for the single budget traveler”
Review of The Jane

The Jane
Ranked #305 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I booked for 3 nights, I stayed for 8. I wish I could have stayed longer. Yes the rooms are teeny tiny, roughly the size of a train sleeper booth. I felt a little like I was vacationing inside the Darjeeling Limited, and woke up in the mornings half expecting to look out the window and see the Indian countryside rolling by.

The hotel's location is excellent, just a few blocks from the High Line and Chelsea Market and all of the delights of the West Village and the Meatpacking district. The restaurant inside the hotel, Cafe Gitane, is a destination in itself. Of course the one morning I woke up slightly hungover and craving Vegemite toast (yes, they serve Vegemite toast), the restaurant was closed for a film shoot.

The Jane's free bicycles were a huge drawcard. I cycled up and down the Hudson River bikepath, around Governor's island, along a traffic-free Park Avenue for the summer streets Saturdays, and around Central Park (which is surprisingly hilly, at least on a single speed cruiser!).

Maybe one day I will be able to afford to stay at The Standard. Or I will find someone who can afford for me to stay there. But until that day I will quite happily stay at The Jane when visiting NYC.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank salbolt
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! You seem like a real native taking advantage of the neighborhood attractions, Cafe Gitane at The Jane and also cruising around the city on your Jane bike! We look forward to seeing you again soon, and if you're feeling like a splurge, you may want to check out our larger Captain's Cabins with private baths. Cheers!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed 13 August 2010

I stayed in the large captain;s room and it was spacious and lovely. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well. The French restaurant attached to the lobby has amazing food and seems to be a destination spot for the locals. So, after a great night sleep and a perfect cappuccino with a square of chocolate I crumbled on top (again, at the restaurant), I rented one of Jane's bikes (10 dollars) and road the streets of Greenwich Village and up and down the park path along the Hudson. Finally, the staff was authentically friendly and helpful and seemed to enjoy working at The Jane.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank thatagirl2
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review of The Jane! We're happy that you enjoyed your stay in the Captain's Cabin and your experiences at Cafe Gitane. Those small dark chocolates are the best!

We're also happy that you took advantage of our Jane bikes. We don't charge for their use, but we do take a deposit in the event that the bike is lost or stolen, but the deposit is returned in full when the bike is brought back. If you were charged for the use of the bike, please let us know, and we will refund your money. Looking forward to seeing you again soon at The Jane!

Reviewed 8 August 2010

When compared to any other hotel in Manhattan that is in the less than $100p night category, there is no question in my mind that the Jane hotel is the best.

I must admit that I was quite frightened to stay at the Jane after reading some of the reviews. However, I can confirm that I was pleasantly surprised with my stay. Yes, the rooms are microscopic, even for NYC. Nonetheless, they are clean, safe and it really has all that you need. I was skeptical of the shared bathrooms but I also found that these were kept super clean and they were actually pretty nice. My only complaint with The Jane is that I didn't sleep very well. Perhaps, I could blame this on the lights in the room or the sometimes noisy hallways at random hours of the night, or maybe it is because I am a light sleeper.

For me, the Jane gets major points for being in the the ABSOLUTE best part of Manhattan. There are so many amazing restaurants and bars nearby, it's adjacent to the Hudson River Park which is great for running. It's also pretty close to ACE and L train which can take you pretty much everywhere. Lastly, the Ballroom at The Jane is one of the best places to go out in the city, granted you probably won't get in unless you are with Mary-Kate Olson.

In summary, as a 25 year student, I would totally stay here again for a night or two. Ask me again in a couple of years and I hope to have upgraded to The Standard by then. Just remember that you get what you pay for (so don't expect the Waldorf) but in my opinion and as a former New Yorker, you get a decent amount (in NYC dollars) for your money.

PS. To avoid the so-called homeless smelling floors or smokey floors, just request a non-smoking floor.

1  Thank NYCHoya
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for coming to The Jane with an open mind! We're happy that you enjoyed your stay and the neighborhood. We look forward to seeing you at The Jane in the future!

Reviewed 7 August 2010

Well, let's the elephant out of the room first - the rooms are small! But you already knew that! Now the upside, the location is amazing, the staff is very welcoming, and the French cafe off the lobby has charm off the scale. It's located in a quiet and peaceful part of NYC, just a block or two from the action of uber trendy Meat Packing District! With the money you save at The Jane, you can actually afford the restaurants and clubs in MPD and the West Village!

If you're a little worried about the shared bathroom, don't be. Both the showers and toilets are completely enclosed individual "rooms" for total privacy. In my experience, the marble sinks have always been clean and well maintained. And rarely do you even encounter another person in the bathroom anyway!

The only downside is if you're taking the subway to The Jane, it's a pretty good walk from the nearest stop which is 14th St. and 8 Ave. If you have luggage and you're arriving from JFK on the E train for example, I'd suggest getting a cab for a $5 ride from the stop to the hotel. I've walked it a few times with wheeled luggage and it's a good 10 min walk.

Other than that, don't hesitate to try this hotel - it's both historic and charming - and you absolutely can't beat the value in Manhattan. Also, WiFi access is fast and free.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post your review! We're happy that you enjoyed your stay in our micro Standard Cabin and that you found the shared bathrooms clean and mostly unoccupied. It's great that you got to explore the neighborhood as well. Great tip on taking a taxi from the A, C, or E subway stop. For just $5, it's a great idea to take a taxi if you have luggage. We look forward to seeing you at The Jane again soon!

Reviewed 23 July 2010

At first I thought my room (#340) smelled like a wet dog. After a long trip, I was willing to put up with it for a one-night stay. When I lay down, I realized it wasn't a wet-dog smell, it was a homeless person smell. It is now 2 a.m., and the stench has grown unbearable. I'd like to check out immediately, but the earliest train to my destination on Long Island doesn't leave until 7:30 a.m. I had been planning on a leisurely morning in the city and the noon train. Now it looks like I will be going first thing in the morning on three hours sleep. I booked this after reading about the place in a news story online about cute, cheap hotels in the city. Don't risk it. It's sooooo gross.

3  Thank NYCGinger
Reviewed 20 July 2010

My thoughts about The Jane are decidedly mixed. The single rooms, at least, are miniscule. I do not mind small places but I felt a little claustrophobic at first. The beds are likewise small and short. I fit, but just barely. (I am 5'4", 110 lbs.) I would guess that anyone who is taller than 5'8" is going to be longer than the bed. I don't know whether all rooms are this tiny, but mine was rather a shock. My brother, who travels to Japan on business, says that "tourist" Japanese hotel rooms are like that. So if you've been to Japan you'll know what to expect.

However, the room was very comfortable. The air conditioning is great and there is a wall fan that allows you to direct the flow of cold air so that it doesn't blow on you all night. The bed was honestly one of the best hotel beds I've ever slept on. I like a firm mattress, and this was quite firm without being rock hard. The pillows were similarly comfy. I slept very, very well. There are quite a few handy storage areas and hooks for clothes. The TV at the end of the bed was LCD but not high-def; as a result, the picture was slightly blurry. Most people probably wouldn't notice but I am sensitive to that kind of thing so couldn't watch it for more than about two hours before developing a headache (and no way to adjust it, either). You have to insert a metal rod which is attached to your key to activate the electricity, and this was annoying only in that removing the rod shut down the TV and you had to search to find your program again. No big deal.

Overall, the place was very, very clean. The shared bath/shower was fine; I never had to wait and it was spotless. The hotel provides body wash, shampoo, conditioner, and a blow-dryer in the shower area. I agree with other reviewers who have suggested taking your own shower flip-flops. One thing to note is that with shared bathrooms, there is more traffic in the halls throughout the night. The room doors close rather firmly, with a solid "thunk," which is not the fault of the guests - it's just the way they work. So, bring earplugs. The hotel staff were consistently excellent - friendly and helpful.

The subway is about a 15-minute walk; Greenwich Village is about 20 minutes. There is a delightful little upscale grocer/deli down the block (at Horatio & Washington, I believe), the Nonno, which serves excellent brewed coffee, bagels, fresh fruit, and a small breakfast/lunch buffet. I got a cup of coffee, large bagel with butter and jam, and a banana, for about $3.75. I then took my breakfast over to the Hudson River riverwalk and sat watching the joggers and cyclists (and the NJ skyline) as I ate. Lovely! The hotel also has a fleet of "cruiser" bicycles that can be checked out by the hour.

I really don't have anything negative to say, although I'm not sure I would stay here again. I think I would first do an exhaustive search on Hotwire or Priceline, which I did not have time to do for this trip. Personally, I would pay an extra $20-25/night for a private bath and four times as much space. I know NYC hotel rooms are expensive, but I really did not think this was worth the price; maybe in terms of service and cleanliness (which are important in NYC!), but not in terms of the "goods" that my dollar purchased. However, if nothing else were available or affordable, I would come back. Also, the woman ahead of me in checkout raved about the place and promised to return. She was not exactly a young thing and judging from her clothes she can probably afford a more upscale place, so....

Reviewed 20 July 2010

I wanted to love the Jane. Great location. So tastily decorated. Cool. People that work there nice. Not too expensive by New York standards. I could even tolerate the tiny rooms because they are so beautifully done but...the airconditioner in my room was so loud and sounded like a 747. It was hot in the city but even hotter in the hotel. The hallways were smelly and humid. When I arrived in my room it was dreadfully hot. You have to insert your key into the wall to turn on the aircon. It took well over an hour for it to be inhabitable. What they don't tell you is there are tenants living in the hotel building so even if you can stand the noise of your aircon in your tiny room...you may not be able to stand the smell of cigarette smoke which wafts into the room from it. The hotel is located on the West side highway so it is very noisy with traffic sounds all night long. Also not near a subway stop.
So The Jane...what a shame.