“Great SHOWER / Noisy A/C”
Review of The Jane

The Jane
Ranked #301 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Helsingborg, Sweden
“Great SHOWER / Noisy A/C”
Reviewed 24 August 2010

A bitter-sweet experience.
This commentary refers to the single or double cabins.

CON:
-The noise of the A/C unit, whether it's on High or Low, makes the same obnoxious dinning noise. Wearing earplugs, it faintly sounds like you are on a night flight.

PROS:
-If it's anything that would bring you back for the affordable rate and the amenities that match it, is the Rain Shower, ....beautiful!
-The loos are clean and quite presentable.
-The two sinks on the marble counter in the bathroom area are nice and clean.
-Cafe on the premises.
-The Cocktail lounge hall is DECADENT! (and the grotto-esque bar area).
-Staff are pleasant.
-Nice flat screen TVs with cable in each room, ... and TWO TVs in the double-bunk rooms.

HEADS-UP!
-If you're a man (lucky us), ...have an empty bottle on hand in your room before tucking in to bed, .....it comes in handy, not needing to leave your room to go down the hallway to the loo in the wee hours of the night. (Let's not kid ourselves, we will all do it for the convenience!).
-There are people who RESIDE in The Jane (who would appear 'not' to belong there), ...yes, 'their' living arrangements are exactly the same as the hole-in-the-wall room you're staying in!
-There are two drawers under the bed.
-There are NO CLOSETS or COAT HANGERS!, ...just hooks on the back of the door and along the mirrored wall.
-Don't expect to roll luggage in to room and spread out, ..noooooo space!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, 30 August 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Jane! I'm happy to hear that you found the shared bathrooms clean. Since the Standard and Bunk Bed Cabins are small, the a/c is usually audible when it's on, but we do have a maintenance team that can fix a problematic unit. Please don't hesitate to call or stop by the front desk with any issues at any time so we can look into making your stay more comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you at The Jane in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed 24 August 2010

If you are looking for just a room in NYC without spending $ then go to the Jane. It is a little off the beaten path in regards to the subway (which is good for some) but it serves a purpose-small rooms that don't cost a fortune. If you get a room with the bunkbeds it is very small. The shared bathrooms were spotless and the bar and lounge were very cozy. In addition the French-styled cafe was light and airy. I would go back but make sure you get the bottom bunk.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Dili, East Timor
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I booked for 3 nights, I stayed for 8. I wish I could have stayed longer. Yes the rooms are teeny tiny, roughly the size of a train sleeper booth. I felt a little like I was vacationing inside the Darjeeling Limited, and woke up in the mornings half expecting to look out the window and see the Indian countryside rolling by.

The hotel's location is excellent, just a few blocks from the High Line and Chelsea Market and all of the delights of the West Village and the Meatpacking district. The restaurant inside the hotel, Cafe Gitane, is a destination in itself. Of course the one morning I woke up slightly hungover and craving Vegemite toast (yes, they serve Vegemite toast), the restaurant was closed for a film shoot.

The Jane's free bicycles were a huge drawcard. I cycled up and down the Hudson River bikepath, around Governor's island, along a traffic-free Park Avenue for the summer streets Saturdays, and around Central Park (which is surprisingly hilly, at least on a single speed cruiser!).

Maybe one day I will be able to afford to stay at The Standard. Or I will find someone who can afford for me to stay there. But until that day I will quite happily stay at The Jane when visiting NYC.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank salbolt
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, 30 August 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! You seem like a real native taking advantage of the neighborhood attractions, Cafe Gitane at The Jane and also cruising around the city on your Jane bike! We look forward to seeing you again soon, and if you're feeling like a splurge, you may want to check out our larger Captain's Cabins with private baths. Cheers!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I stayed in the large captain;s room and it was spacious and lovely. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well. The French restaurant attached to the lobby has amazing food and seems to be a destination spot for the locals. So, after a great night sleep and a perfect cappuccino with a square of chocolate I crumbled on top (again, at the restaurant), I rented one of Jane's bikes (10 dollars) and road the streets of Greenwich Village and up and down the park path along the Hudson. Finally, the staff was authentically friendly and helpful and seemed to enjoy working at The Jane.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank thatagirl2
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, 16 August 2010
Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review of The Jane! We're happy that you enjoyed your stay in the Captain's Cabin and your experiences at Cafe Gitane. Those small dark chocolates are the best!

We're also happy that you took advantage of our Jane bikes. We don't charge for their use, but we do take a deposit in the event that the bike is lost or stolen, but the deposit is returned in full when the bike is brought back. If you were charged for the use of the bike, please let us know, and we will refund your money. Looking forward to seeing you again soon at The Jane!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2010

When compared to any other hotel in Manhattan that is in the less than $100p night category, there is no question in my mind that the Jane hotel is the best.

I must admit that I was quite frightened to stay at the Jane after reading some of the reviews. However, I can confirm that I was pleasantly surprised with my stay. Yes, the rooms are microscopic, even for NYC. Nonetheless, they are clean, safe and it really has all that you need. I was skeptical of the shared bathrooms but I also found that these were kept super clean and they were actually pretty nice. My only complaint with The Jane is that I didn't sleep very well. Perhaps, I could blame this on the lights in the room or the sometimes noisy hallways at random hours of the night, or maybe it is because I am a light sleeper.

For me, the Jane gets major points for being in the the ABSOLUTE best part of Manhattan. There are so many amazing restaurants and bars nearby, it's adjacent to the Hudson River Park which is great for running. It's also pretty close to ACE and L train which can take you pretty much everywhere. Lastly, the Ballroom at The Jane is one of the best places to go out in the city, granted you probably won't get in unless you are with Mary-Kate Olson.

In summary, as a 25 year student, I would totally stay here again for a night or two. Ask me again in a couple of years and I hope to have upgraded to The Standard by then. Just remember that you get what you pay for (so don't expect the Waldorf) but in my opinion and as a former New Yorker, you get a decent amount (in NYC dollars) for your money.

PS. To avoid the so-called homeless smelling floors or smokey floors, just request a non-smoking floor.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank NYCHoya
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, 16 August 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for coming to The Jane with an open mind! We're happy that you enjoyed your stay and the neighborhood. We look forward to seeing you at The Jane in the future!
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Well, let's the elephant out of the room first - the rooms are small! But you already knew that! Now the upside, the location is amazing, the staff is very welcoming, and the French cafe off the lobby has charm off the scale. It's located in a quiet and peaceful part of NYC, just a block or two from the action of uber trendy Meat Packing District! With the money you save at The Jane, you can actually afford the restaurants and clubs in MPD and the West Village!

If you're a little worried about the shared bathroom, don't be. Both the showers and toilets are completely enclosed individual "rooms" for total privacy. In my experience, the marble sinks have always been clean and well maintained. And rarely do you even encounter another person in the bathroom anyway!

The only downside is if you're taking the subway to The Jane, it's a pretty good walk from the nearest stop which is 14th St. and 8 Ave. If you have luggage and you're arriving from JFK on the E train for example, I'd suggest getting a cab for a $5 ride from the stop to the hotel. I've walked it a few times with wheeled luggage and it's a good 10 min walk.

Other than that, don't hesitate to try this hotel - it's both historic and charming - and you absolutely can't beat the value in Manhattan. Also, WiFi access is fast and free.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, 16 August 2010
Thanks a lot for taking the time to post your review! We're happy that you enjoyed your stay in our micro Standard Cabin and that you found the shared bathrooms clean and mostly unoccupied. It's great that you got to explore the neighborhood as well. Great tip on taking a taxi from the A, C, or E subway stop. For just $5, it's a great idea to take a taxi if you have luggage. We look forward to seeing you at The Jane again soon!
NYC
Reviewed 23 July 2010

At first I thought my room (#340) smelled like a wet dog. After a long trip, I was willing to put up with it for a one-night stay. When I lay down, I realized it wasn't a wet-dog smell, it was a homeless person smell. It is now 2 a.m., and the stench has grown unbearable. I'd like to check out immediately, but the earliest train to my destination on Long Island doesn't leave until 7:30 a.m. I had been planning on a leisurely morning in the city and the noon train. Now it looks like I will be going first thing in the morning on three hours sleep. I booked this after reading about the place in a news story online about cute, cheap hotels in the city. Don't risk it. It's sooooo gross.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo