The Jane
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$205
US$195
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$204
US$159
  • Fitness centre
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$178
  • Room Service
Row NYC Hotel(New York City)
US$200
US$169
  • Bar/Lounge
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$176
  • Fitness centre
US$189
US$159
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$308
US$262
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$209
  • Restaurant
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$377
US$250
Official Site
  • Room Service
Archer Hotel New York(New York City)
US$324
US$299
Agoda.com
1,473 results
All reviewsshared bathroomcafe gitanemeatpacking districtcaptain's cabinstandard cabinthe high linesingle cabinjane streethudson riverbunk bedsfree bikesquirky hotelnew yorkwhitney museumgreenwich villageair conipod dock
Reviewed 24 August 2010

A bitter-sweet experience.
This commentary refers to the single or double cabins.

CON:
-The noise of the A/C unit, whether it's on High or Low, makes the same obnoxious dinning noise. Wearing earplugs, it faintly sounds like you are on a night flight.

PROS:
-If it's anything that would bring you back for the affordable rate and the amenities that match it, is the Rain Shower, ....beautiful!
-The loos are clean and quite presentable.
-The two sinks on the marble counter in the bathroom area are nice and clean.
-Cafe on the premises.
-The Cocktail lounge hall is DECADENT! (and the grotto-esque bar area).
-Staff are pleasant.
-Nice flat screen TVs with cable in each room, ... and TWO TVs in the double-bunk rooms.

HEADS-UP!
-If you're a man (lucky us), ...have an empty bottle on hand in your room before tucking in to bed, .....it comes in handy, not needing to leave your room to go down the hallway to the loo in the wee hours of the night. (Let's not kid ourselves, we will all do it for the convenience!).
-There are people who RESIDE in The Jane (who would appear 'not' to belong there), ...yes, 'their' living arrangements are exactly the same as the hole-in-the-wall room you're staying in!
-There are two drawers under the bed.
-There are NO CLOSETS or COAT HANGERS!, ...just hooks on the back of the door and along the mirrored wall.
-Don't expect to roll luggage in to room and spread out, ..noooooo space!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Jane! I'm happy to hear that you found the shared bathrooms clean. Since the Standard and Bunk Bed Cabins are small, the a/c is usually audible when it's on, but we do have a maintenance team that can fix a problematic unit. Please don't hesitate to call or stop by the front desk with any issues at any time so we can look into making your stay more comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you at The Jane in the future!

Reviewed 24 August 2010

If you are looking for just a room in NYC without spending $ then go to the Jane. It is a little off the beaten path in regards to the subway (which is good for some) but it serves a purpose-small rooms that don't cost a fortune. If you get a room with the bunkbeds it is very small. The shared bathrooms were spotless and the bar and lounge were very cozy. In addition the French-styled cafe was light and airy. I would go back but make sure you get the bottom bunk.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I booked for 3 nights, I stayed for 8. I wish I could have stayed longer. Yes the rooms are teeny tiny, roughly the size of a train sleeper booth. I felt a little like I was vacationing inside the Darjeeling Limited, and woke up in the mornings half expecting to look out the window and see the Indian countryside rolling by.

The hotel's location is excellent, just a few blocks from the High Line and Chelsea Market and all of the delights of the West Village and the Meatpacking district. The restaurant inside the hotel, Cafe Gitane, is a destination in itself. Of course the one morning I woke up slightly hungover and craving Vegemite toast (yes, they serve Vegemite toast), the restaurant was closed for a film shoot.

The Jane's free bicycles were a huge drawcard. I cycled up and down the Hudson River bikepath, around Governor's island, along a traffic-free Park Avenue for the summer streets Saturdays, and around Central Park (which is surprisingly hilly, at least on a single speed cruiser!).

Maybe one day I will be able to afford to stay at The Standard. Or I will find someone who can afford for me to stay there. But until that day I will quite happily stay at The Jane when visiting NYC.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank salbolt
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review! You seem like a real native taking advantage of the neighborhood attractions, Cafe Gitane at The Jane and also cruising around the city on your Jane bike! We look forward to seeing you again soon, and if you're feeling like a splurge, you may want to check out our larger Captain's Cabins with private baths. Cheers!

Reviewed 13 August 2010

I stayed in the large captain;s room and it was spacious and lovely. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well. The French restaurant attached to the lobby has amazing food and seems to be a destination spot for the locals. So, after a great night sleep and a perfect cappuccino with a square of chocolate I crumbled on top (again, at the restaurant), I rented one of Jane's bikes (10 dollars) and road the streets of Greenwich Village and up and down the park path along the Hudson. Finally, the staff was authentically friendly and helpful and seemed to enjoy working at The Jane.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank thatagirl2
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review of The Jane! We're happy that you enjoyed your stay in the Captain's Cabin and your experiences at Cafe Gitane. Those small dark chocolates are the best!

We're also happy that you took advantage of our Jane bikes. We don't charge for their use, but we do take a deposit in the event that the bike is lost or stolen, but the deposit is returned in full when the bike is brought back. If you were charged for the use of the bike, please let us know, and we will refund your money. Looking forward to seeing you again soon at The Jane!

Reviewed 8 August 2010

When compared to any other hotel in Manhattan that is in the less than $100p night category, there is no question in my mind that the Jane hotel is the best.

I must admit that I was quite frightened to stay at the Jane after reading some of the reviews. However, I can confirm that I was pleasantly surprised with my stay. Yes, the rooms are microscopic, even for NYC. Nonetheless, they are clean, safe and it really has all that you need. I was skeptical of the shared bathrooms but I also found that these were kept super clean and they were actually pretty nice. My only complaint with The Jane is that I didn't sleep very well. Perhaps, I could blame this on the lights in the room or the sometimes noisy hallways at random hours of the night, or maybe it is because I am a light sleeper.

For me, the Jane gets major points for being in the the ABSOLUTE best part of Manhattan. There are so many amazing restaurants and bars nearby, it's adjacent to the Hudson River Park which is great for running. It's also pretty close to ACE and L train which can take you pretty much everywhere. Lastly, the Ballroom at The Jane is one of the best places to go out in the city, granted you probably won't get in unless you are with Mary-Kate Olson.

In summary, as a 25 year student, I would totally stay here again for a night or two. Ask me again in a couple of years and I hope to have upgraded to The Standard by then. Just remember that you get what you pay for (so don't expect the Waldorf) but in my opinion and as a former New Yorker, you get a decent amount (in NYC dollars) for your money.

PS. To avoid the so-called homeless smelling floors or smokey floors, just request a non-smoking floor.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank NYCHoya
The_Jane, Manager at The Jane, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for coming to The Jane with an open mind! We're happy that you enjoyed your stay and the neighborhood. We look forward to seeing you at The Jane in the future!