“Perfect location in Manhatten”

Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City
Ranked #169 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The perfect base for a few days' sightseeing, everything within walking distance (for a good walker) and a wonderful view of the Empire State Building from our 16th floor south facing room. Our room had two double beds so the family could pile in comfortably. Free wi-fi was great, although coverage was a bit patchy and signal up and down like a yo-yo. Staff were courteous and not overbearing - welcome bottle of wine was a lovely touch. Things I would address - shower weak, and bathroom dark with no close up mirror for make-up. Otherwise a wonderful stay and I would visit again,

Room Tip: Higher floors facing the Empire State Building are worth it
1  Thank MH64
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write after coming all the way across the pond to visit New York. It’s great to know that the Empire State Building views were everything you’d hoped for, and that our service was just right. I appreciate your comment about a make-up mirror in the bathroom -- convenient for shaving, too.

Have a lovely summer, and please do visit us again

John Loizos

Write a ReviewReviews (2,349)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Having stayed at The Strand twice before, once on business and once on leisure, it had been over a year since my last visit. But when I walked in the door it felt like I was coming home. Starting with the greeting by the doorman and continuing on to the front desk they have one of the most welcoming guest services staff I have ever experienced, especially in a city center hotel.

Even the housekeeping team was friendly and always greeted me whenever I passed them in the public areas.

Location also excellent - walking distance to most major attractions and close to all public transportation options. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Douglas K

Dear Guest,

Making you feel at home is our main goal, and you can count on that every time you visit. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your generous comments about our friendly staff and excellent location.

Have a very pleasant summer

Reviewed 17 July 2014

After spending hours and days looking for the best hotel for my first ever visit to NYC I absolutely found it at Strand. The service is outstanding, the rooms beautiful and the people are by far the friendliest I have ever experienced at any hotel or resort and we have been to many. From the moment we arrived to our departure we were treated like royalty, doors opened to welcome us at any time and upon our arrival a wonderful cup of coffee and croissant while we waited for our room which by the way was ready within ten minutes despite our very early arrival. The rooftop bar in the evening was a highlight of our stay in NYC with breathtaking views and a vibrant atmosphere. I can't say enough about this hotel stay except that we will definitely be back to visit NYC and the Strand will be our hotel of choice, I hope that after reading this review you will make it yours. Don't spend days looking for the perfect hotel because I found it for you. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Carrie103

Dear Guest,

Sincere thanks for that strong recommendation! It was our great pleasure to have you as a guest. Please come again so we can come up with even more ways to make your Strand visit memorable.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is the place to be if you are visiting NYC for a short trip. Located very close to the Penn Station, Empire State Building and Times Square.
The rooftop bar is something you can't miss. It offers a very beautiful view of the city and Empire State Building. There is a lounge at the basement in case you are game for it.
The rates are a bit on higher side due to locality - but its worth it because of the traveling time saved. The staff and other hotel services are also nice.

1  Thank KTsReviews
John L, General Manager at Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Sincere thanks for taking the time to write a grand review. I’m delighted that you enjoyed our rooftop bar with its amazing views of the city. Readers will appreciate your mentioning the nearby train stations, and the fact that so many interesting destinations are within walking distance.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Lovely hotel with friendly staff especially our waiter Colin and Receptionist Edella (I hope that is her name.)The food was gorgeous (dinner and breakfast) The only think that disappointed us was the spa it wasn't what we had expected. We hope to make a return visit at some stage.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous comments about our outstanding staff, and about your enjoyment of our culinary offerings. We work hard to ensure that every detail of each guest’s experience is top-notch, and I apologize that our fitness center was not the spa setting you had anticipated.

Have a relaxing summer, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Nice Hotel, staff very friendly.
It was a little on the pricey side as no breakfast provided unless you paid extra on top of what was already an expensive stay, however it was nice and clean.

No kettle in the room so you couldn't make a cup of tea . Very important for us Brits. The fridge was packed tight and you couldn't put your own water in it as it was set up to dispense soda, water etc .
For a city centre hotel very nice ,beware if you go onto the roof top bar ,for the privilege of having a great view of the Empire State Building it cost us $ 47 for four drinks.

Room Tip: Our room was looking onto a side street not very pretty
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Duncan M

Dear Guest,

Your comments are appreciated, and I thank you for taking the time to write. We do supply in-room tea and coffee set-ups upon request, and I apologize that you weren’t made aware of this. We are fortunate to welcome many guests from the UK, so we understand the importance of a nice cup of tea.

Please let us make it up to you on your next visit.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed there for 10 days (a couple and two young girls), in July/14, in a trip to celebrate the 14º birthday of my daughter. I booked an executive room and I have asked in advanced for a good one. I also paid for the continental breakfast. The room they have given to us was good, but not special for an executive one (although for our expectation...). The window view was one of the worst we have experienced (we closed the curtains during all our stay there!). The room had a good size, confrotable beds, a flat TV, a desk, a chair and it was very clean. It was very quiet. The bathroom was quite good, but the sink was too small. The fridge of the room is completely full and it does not allow you to cool your things, and it was not a pleasant way to be welcomed as a guest... They have free wi-fi, but the sign in our room was a little weak. The staff of the hotel was very sympathetic and helpful. Please, do not buy the continental breakfast if you stay there! They do not change anything and you get too tired to have the same every morning! The continental breakfast has no fruit, no hot food, no hot chocolate, no yogurt and no cereal. You can’t tolerate that kind of breakfast for more than two days! I have tried to change two days breakfast voucher for a better one or pay the price difference, but they refused it... They said - with no reason at all!! - that they couldn´t do it! Why?? If I paid for that, why they could not permit me to change and pay the price difference?? There is no sense and no sensibility!! The location of the hotel is very good (just few steps from the Fifth Avenue, two blocks from the Empire State and five blocks to the Times Square. They have a rooftop terrace, but they do not allow children there, so we could not seen it...

Room Tip: Try to have the highest floor possible, to try to have a better view...

Dear guest,

Happy belated birthday to your daughter and thank you for selecting the Strand for your long 10 day visit. We sincerely appreciate your kind sentiments regarding our staff and truly appreciate pointing out the things that we fell short during this visit. I realize that you would have preferred a room with a view but appears we had challenges getting you on a higher floor for that particular room category and for those amount of nights. As it relates to our continental breakfast, our offering is quite different than most American hotels. Most continental breakfast in the states consist of various sweet breads along with coffee/tea and juice. We offer hard-boiled egg, yogurt parfait and wonderful cheese bread along with coffee/tea and juice.

I sincerely apologize and completed understand that having the same option each day is not very desirable and can assure you that your feedback will help us think of alternatives to avoid similar experiences.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to further discuss and hope to have you return in the near future.

Sincerely and all the best for a wonderful summer!