“Loved This Place!”
Review of 1871 House

1871 House
Ranked #14 of 76 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The staff was wonderful and the room looked exactly as it was pictured! I checked all of the reviews before I booked and thank all who have posted. Someone mentioned that the bathroom they had was old. Well, yes, it is, but I have a one hundred year old house so it didn't faze me and on balance, everything is so clean and so charming...and, the neighborhood is wonderful, an old bathroom is a fair trade!!!!!! I used to live in Manhattan in the 1970s and have stayed in hotels on visits since then. So cold and sterile! Now that I've found the 1871 House, I would never go back to a hotel...and, can't wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
IluvNY62, Front Office Manager at 1871 House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2012

Thank you!! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay at the House. We hope we provide a cozy alternative for those who want to explore NYC.

Reviewed 3 November 2012

We ( 2 adults + 2 14 years- old ) just spent 4 nights at 1871 House in New York during hurricane Sandy!
At 1871 House you feel at home immediately. On our arrival on Saturday October 27, 2012 we didn't need much time to feel as true New Yorkers. The location is just splendid, near Starbucks, Le Pain Quotidien, The Bread Factory, a couple of nice restaurants (Fishtail from David Burke, Italian restaurant Pane & Vino and many others), Smiley's 24/24 right on the corner. New York isn't cheap but in this part of town you get quality for a decent price. At no time did we feel worried because of Sandy coming. We realize we were very lucky. Because of the great location of 1871 House we did all we wanted to do walking ( subway and buses were not in operation for a few days ) : Times Square, Central Park, Guggenheim,...
I would not recommend 1871 House to people who need a lot of reassurance or help in whatever matter. Basically you have a nice ( but old ) cosy appartement where the plumbing makes quite some noice and the outdated shower is not a rain shower as you find in new modern/boutique hotels. I do however recommend 1871 House to experienced travellers who want to discover New York by themselves and get the feeling of how a true New Yorker lives.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor: Lexington
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

It was a pleasure having you and your family here. We're so glad also that you loved the amenities of the area as much as we do. Our staff is here all day every day (8:30-6:30 on M-S, and 8:30-3:30 on Sundays). We try very hard to be non-intrusive, yet available: we hope you felt you could ask us for anything if you needed it. That's what we're here for! :)

Reviewed 2 November 2012

1871 House was part of my very first NYC experience in 2009 and I jokingly referred to it as my home away from home...the decor of my room was so much like my own home in Virginia that I was at ease from the start. The staff at the time, Jennifer, Hedy & Simon, were lively and wonderful and so gracious regardless of how many times I asked about directions, cab etiquette, broadway shows, or even bus schedules! I didn't meet Warren, but Lea and the girls were friendly and welcoming, but certainly not intrusive. I'm truly sorry that I didn't write this review right after my 2009 trip. On my last visit, I naively expected the same staff would be there and had a long overdue sercy for each of them. Of course, by now, they had moved on to other jobs, but the neighborhood was still as comfortable and charming as before. Everything you need is within walking distance, including a great section of Central Park. I stayed in the Library Suite Rear bedroom w/private kitchen. I had an extended stay and even though there's a scrumptious restaurant in just about any direction you choose, having the kitchen was a great option.

I've traveled back to NYC a number of times since and regardless of the amenities offered at large hotels, there hasn't been anywhere I've enjoyed as much as 1871 House. I'm planning another NYC trip soon and intend to stay at 1871 House again... It's true, there's no place like "home".

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

It's never too late! Thank you for all your kind comments. We truly appreciate that you thought of us for your return trip to the city.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

My colleague stayed there a year early, and my wife and I were equally impressed with the Parlour Room@1871. After staying in Times Square Novatel the week prior this place was a real slice of Manhattan and such a welcomed change. The area around is like a village with groceries, laundry, hairdresser all so close by, which as we had a small kitchen came in handy. Walk to central park and go for a jog while the wife went to Bloomingdales 200m away ... try Serendipity and Bob Dylan niece's lolly shop - " Dylan’s " frozen chocolate. Subway is a block away. A five dollar taxi will have you in Times Square. The staff makes you feel welcomed and let you go about your holiday undisturbed, but are there to assist if needed. Would go back tomorrow! Thank you all at 1871

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin P

We're so glad to hear you and your wife enjoyed the Parlor Room. It sounds like you got to check out some of the neighborhood's gems! We hope we can welcome you back here sometime.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

1871 House is the perfect place to stay in NYC. The most incredible townhouse, close to everything you could possibly need. The rooms are amazing, authentic and have great character- you can see that a lot of time and effort has been out in to making them clean, comfortable and some thing you will remember.

The staff at 1871 House are way make it so fantastic, they go above and beyond what is necessary to help you and make you feel comfortable.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

We will be back :)

Room Tip: The Garden Room is beautiful, it has its own Garden where you can relax...Hard to find in NYC!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank becky210989

Thanks for your comments. We're glad you got to enjoy the Garden terrace before it got chilly here. We hope we'll see you again! :)

Reviewed 2 September 2012

We took a family trip to NYC 8/2012 and stayed 4 nights at the 1871 House. We reserved the Madison Suite; all rooms were as described and very clean. Loved the location - short walking distance to Central Park. We even walked to Times Square from there. Easy to get a cab right outside the door or at the end of the block. Subway is nearby as well. Quiet tree lined street; we felt safe and enjoyed walking the local neighborhood. Had a fabulous Italian lunch at Serafina which is right around the corner on 61st. A/C worked great in each room. As we were heading out one morning, I mentioned to the woman in the office that the bathroom sink was not draining properly and by the time we came back they had it fixed. Loved the fact that we could leave our luggage with them on the morning of our departure as our plane didn't leave until mid afternoon. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Need to climb alot of stairs to get to the Madison Suite. Would suggest a lower level for anyone wi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank turnermpls
IluvNY62, Front Office Manager at 1871 House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

We're so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient. We hope to see you again in the future :)

Reviewed 20 August 2012

A friend from England and I stayed here in October of 2011 and had an absolutely fabulous time. It is the perfect place for a visit to New York City. I used to stay at the Surrey, but now prefer the 1871 House. We had the Garden Room and Terrace and loved it. We also liked having an electric kettle and other household amenities, as well as a refrigerator, in our room, so we were able to enjoy breakfast and afternoon tea there, whenever we chose. But, we also enjoyed the neighborhood ethnic restaurants of an evening, just round the corner on Lexington.

We took advantage of having Central Park close by for a visit to the Zoo and our daily walks. We also loved the proximity to the Frick Collection and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, again all within walking distance.

Although we did not meet the owners, the staff were very helpful. I have no desire to stay anywhere else on my trips to New York City.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bear59
IluvNY62, Front Office Manager at 1871 House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2012

Thank you for the kind words! We're so happy you got to enjoy the neighborhood. New York City is just a plethora of diversity, and the exploration never ends. We will gladly welcome you back for future rounds. :)