“Unique and Comfortable UES Getaway”
Review of 1871 House

1871 House
Ranked #16 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay in the Madison Suite at 1871 House. It was such a treat to have what felt like our own little Upper East Side apartment. The decor and furnishings were quaint, the space was roomy, and the location was perfect, tucked away from the hustle/bustle but close to everything: several corner groceries, nice restaurants and wonderful shopping. I would definitely like to stay at 1871 House again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank CES3000

Reviewed 7 May 2014

So very sorry for the delay in my review but I am very happy to say our experience was the most amazing of all my trips to the NYC thus far. My husband and I celebrated lots of milestones! My 40th birthday, New Year's Eve and our 15th wedding anniversary! We were part of the lucky thousands that got snowed in on the day we were to leave and the staff here at the 1871 House treated us with sympathy and respect, which lead to them graciously letting us make a spur of the moment reservation as of THAT night plus additional! Upon our arrival on the first day, we were eager travelers and arrived sooner than the check-in time but they safely stowed our luggage which allowed us to spend a slow paced "getting to know the neighborhood" walk. We booked the Mission Suite (and anxiously awaited this experience for nearly a year...the staff is so gracious to answer the plethora of emails I sent with questions or concerns anytime one came to mind for me!) and it was exactly as the photos display, it was quiet (it's below street level) the temperature was stable - meaning we were neither too hot or too cold at any time. Our plumbing was top rate - hot water every shower, which I've read in previous reviews there were issues so I want to express that we had no trouble what-so-ever with being comfortable!

The neighborhood is wonderful and never did we feel unsafe, plus the food options are numerous! We enjoyed our two rooms so much that we actually got take out many of those nights and just stayed in to enjoy the house! It is so "home" and I will never stay anywhere else from here on out when I come to New York! I want to say we got the Front Library Suite when we had to book extra nights due to cancelled flights, I was so frantic about flights that I didn't even pay much attention to the name! it overlooks the street out front of the house and was very comfortable and roomy for the two of us! Lots of tv to watch when you're snowed in and tired from treking through snow all day...plus great food across the street, around the corner, all over the surrounding blocks, the choices are endless! I can't praise this wonderful place enough and again, I'm sorry for taking so long to review it! We will only stay at 1871 House from now on! Thank you to all the staff for every bit of your kindness shown to us!

Matthew and Laura Meacham - Arkansas

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
IluvNY62, Manager at 1871 House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Laura,

We're overwhelmed by your gracious comments! Thank You! We're exceedingly happy that your trip was so memorable and we're glad that we could be a part of it. The staff appreciates your kind words and we feel honored that you consider 1871 House your "home" in the city.

We look forward to seeing you many more times in the future. Thanks again!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at the 1871 house on a cold, quiet Sunday evening in late March. After coming out of the cold into the warmly lit foyer, we climbed the stairs to the rear library. We had fun looking through books (a Beatles collection, and another on the photography of Annie Liebowitz). Much better than staying in a Holiday Inn watching basic cable. Room was beautifully decorated--a charming relic of old New York.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew J
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Loved the 1871 House! It's in a great location on a beautiful residential street with easy access to shops and good restaurants (try the French bistro down the street). The service was great and the room I stayed in was spacious yet cozy. Can't wait to go back in the spring!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PRL359
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We were three mature women visiting New York for a holiday and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at 1871 House. It was safe, clean and comfortable and gave us exactly the accommodation we wanted. The stairs to our room were a little steep but we had been warned about this before booking and it only added to the character of the house. I also find the negative comments about the property very odd indeed. If you want a different and delightful experience from a standard hotel we would certainly recommend 1871 House to others and return ourselves.

Room Tip: 1871 House are very clear and honest about what the rooms provide and I think guests can use that in...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 38Jan
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I was delighted to discover the 1871 House on my last trip into NYC. Located on one of the most charming blocks on the upper east side, this beautiful property is convenient to everything the city has to offer. It is private and cozy enough to feel like a home away from home while having all the amenities of an upscale boutique hotel. The small suite I had was equipped with everything and beautifully appointed with the antiques and wonderful linens. Located between Park and Lexington, the atmosphere is serene and quiet while being just steps away from all Manhattan has to offer. I'm in the city at least once a month and now that I've found this gem, I look forward to returning again and again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
IluvNY62, Manager at 1871 House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

We appreciate the kind words! Thank you for staying with us and we're glad you found your accommodations beautiful and convenient. We try to make each room a special and memorable experience and the neighborhood truly is a one of a kind destination. We look forward to welcoming you many more times in the future.

Thanks and best regards,
David
Assistant Manager

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Very quiet, clean, great location and Lia and warren are extremely nice people. They made us feel at home. Our room was very spacious, can't wait to go back over the summer. I recommend it to anyone who wants to stay at a convenient and quiet location in Manhattan.

• Stayed: February 2014
IluvNY62, Owner at 1871 House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for the review! We were glad to hear you enjoyed staying in a new neighborhood for your special occasion. We're glad you felt at home (we hear this frequently from other guests and we're pleased to hear you felt the same way) and we would love for you to stay with us again.