“Nice B&B, nice staff.”

The Townhouse Inn of Chelsea
Ranked #14 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
“Nice B&B, nice staff.”
Reviewed 29 December 2004

I spent 4 nights in the Inn and I was not disappointed. Nice rooms (I stayed in the Suite Room, next time I will ask for a back room...the city is to noisy), the staff was nice. The only negative point was the breakfast...well at least from a Portuguese point of view. Any way I will comeback to this cozy B&B in NY.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Hebrew first
Medina, Oh
Reviewed 26 December 2004

Is it worth the money? A little too much hype about the breakfast being baked by the school down stairs. Cereal, bagels, a great big fruit bowl with yogurt, limited mini pastries, hardboiled eggs, and of course, juice, tea, & coffee. Pretty basic fare and the Library has a nice bit of decor to make it enjoyable. The room we stayed in, The Rosewood, was very comfy and chic and the bed was just right. Internet access was available in the lobby and the Library, but trouble with the Wi-Fi and in-room DSL line. Don’t bother lugging the laptop. The best part of the Inn is access passes to many museums and we took full advantage to see MOMA & the Natural History Museum. We are familiar with the city and appreciated this location in Chelsea close to Subway entrances. The Garden of Eden across the street, Whole Food Market a block a way, and a nice and friendly wine store just a few doors down make it easy to entertain yourself in the room. Wine and Liquor in the Library at reasonable prices is also a plus. Most disturbing was the inability of the staff to recommend restaurants, subway directions, etc.
Thank goodness for the Trip Advisor web pages, which is why the Inn needs to get their internet hook-up hooked up.

• Stayed December 2004
8 Thank edger
Derbyshire
Reviewed 11 November 2004

I can definitely recommend this small and friendly B&B in Chelsea, NYC. Near the Flatiron building and Empire State, a 5 minute walk from Penn Street Station.
It is not typical of a Manhattan hotel, being only 5 floors, with around 11 bedrooms. Each room is individually designed and furnished. We stayed in the skylight room on 5th floor. Lovely comfy old brass bed!
Breakfast in the library was fresh and plentiful. Staff were so nice and friendly. We liked the honesty bar. Take a bottle of wine and leave the cash in a jar!
Cost about £150/night ($235 = tax). Worth it.
We will go again.

6 Thank fiduroe
Reviewed 21 October 2004

The Inn on 23rd Street was a comfortable B&B. I visited New York with my 9 year old daughter to attend my nephew's wedding. Our room was cozy and the 2nd floor library had good amenties. My daughter was able to use the computer to play Nick games. The keyboard was a little sticky, though. 23rd Street is a very busy street. While our room was in the back, some of our windows faced the side of the building. The windows on the side of the building faced the alley between the Church and the Inn. The Church is used as a homeless shelter. While we did not hear the noise from the traffic on 23rd Street, we did hear the "residents" of the homeless shelter throughout the night in the alley. The people from the homeless shelter would congregate outside the Inn. On the other side of the Inn is the Services for the Blind. The phone system did not work well. There was no message light, so I had to keep checking to see if I had any messages. My husband tried to call me in the evening when we first arrived. There is no one at the front desk after 9:00 p.m., so my husband wasn't able to ask for my room number to contact me. The location of the Inn is convenient to subways and buses, but it is certainly not the upper West Side or East Side. The Inn may not suit the needs of every traveller, but the Inn's family-owned hospitality was evident throughout our stay.

• Stayed October 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 October 2004

I stayed here over the summer and absolutely loved this charming inn. It was so surprising to find a country inn in the middle of Manhattan. It is a small place (maybe 10-15 rooms) and the owner was very friendly. It's in a neighborhood called Chelsea, which is very trendy these days. There are tons of good restaurants all around this inn. I can't wait to go back!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed 21 October 2004

I booked a 5 night stay at the Inn on 23rd in late September based on reviews here. What a joy and your reviews were right on! I stayed in the 50's room to take advantage of the murphy bed. The room was large, roomy and very comfortable. The attention to detail was impressive from the DSL line to full access to the "library", tea, coffee, and snacks 24x7.

The decor was impressive and the staff wonderful. I took advantage of their free museum passes and based on a tip on this site stocked up on yummy food across the street at the Garden of Eden grocery store. Another cool find was the vintage clothing store right across the street. We had dinner one night at the Cafeteria - within walking distance.

I felt safe in the neighborhood despite the fact that there is a church next door that attracts and cares for a few homeless people. Not a problem. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2004
3 Thank Leslie808
Middletown, MD
Reviewed 3 September 2004

Who would have thought you could get a HUGE room in a gorgeous B&B for under $250 a night? My husband and I have stayed at several NYC hotels, with their outrageous prices for tiny little cubbyholes and snooty desk clerks. We will never go back to them now that we've found this little Chelsea gem. Not only did our room accommodate a king-size bed with bed tables on each side, but we had a large sitting area AND free high-speed internet access. Annette, the innkeeper, and her staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful, and we fell in love with Dorothy the cat. I definitely recommend this B&B for your New York stay - just as long as there's still room for us!

• Stayed August 2004