“Ironically Hipster, Hipster Hotel”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #206 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel was almost too hip. The lobby has an awesome Gotham sort of feel to it. My room came with an acoustic guitar, record player (with records) and a fridge that looked like it came straight out of the 50s. The bed was also very comfortable. I would certainly recommend friends to stay here out of convenience (lower midtown), but it somewhat feels like you end up paying for the "cool" instead of things that materially add quality to the stay. Some of the fixtures seemed a bit cheap, for instance, and the bathroom was only somewhat well appointed for the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Me and 3 girlfriends booked this hotel for a 3 night trip to NYC. Four girls in one room in NYC is always a bit of a worry space wise, especially when this was a shopping trip. First impressions of the hotel was it was a bit dark and it was difficult to tell who were guests and who were hotel staff but that all added to the whole ambience as you'll soon discover when looking around the hotel. There's a small reception area to the left as you enter the hotel and there's a grand lobby with plenty of working space and bar where most folks are on their laptops. There's a coffee shop and restaurant off the main lobby area. The location of the hotel is ideal, 29th street in between Broadway and 5th Ave, with a subway station literally around the corner, the Empire State Building and all the 34th Street shopping delights only 5 streets away. Oxford Café is fantastic for breakfast, it's on 35th street and 5th ave. I'd also recommend Heartland Brewery right beside the Empire State Building for lunch or dinner.
I loved their quirky little comments on the bathroom walls and the hangers and their main wall art in the rooms. It's the only hotel I've ever stayed at in NYC where you don't hear sirens and horns all night long. We stayed in a double room, room 901 (9th floor) right opposite the lift and still heard nothing. It had 2 double beds, a well stocked Smeg fridge and plenty of storage space for clothes and shopping bags.
Photos on the hotel website do not do it justice. Best hotel shower I've ever had too!
I just loved absolutely everything about this hotel. Everything about this hotel is ACE, location, rooms and staff - keep up the good work guys. I'll defo be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Angela1011
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Angela1011 and Friends,
Thank you for choosing Ace as the home base for your NYC Shopping Expedition! We are happy to read your accommodations were roomy enough for 4 shoppers and that you had the best hotel shower ever! We look forward to seeing you again and can't wait to have you back!
The Ace NY Team

Reviewed 22 November 2013

One of the hippest, most laid back hotel I've been to. 5 blocks from Penn Station, it's really easy to find and get to from Penn. Great coffee shop on main level, and I mean Great. Really good restaurant in the hotel, The Breslin. I think the front desk is a little understaffed, but the service is great. I've stayed there 3x so far and not a problem so far.

Rooms are big, due to high ceilings. Don't pay any attention to the SQ FT listed on websites. You won't feel cramped here. Bathrooms are ultra cool. Beds are surprisingly comfortable.

I've stayed in both the medium and large rooms there. Both are great. Not much of a difference if you ask me. Oh yeah, the wifi works great at this hotel for business travelers who absolutely need it.

Lobby turns into a swanky lounge at night. Bar is cool also.

Room Tip: Get the medium room... best value.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank JAELEEAHP
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Did not stay at the Ace Hotel but several locals that we were meeting with suggested we touch base in the lobby. Very cozy furniture, all types of coffee, pastries, etc. Plenty of power outlets for laptops. Not used to meeting in such an open spot but enjoyed our meeting and the atmosphere of the Ace.

Room Tip: Very unique spot but grey place to meet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I'm not a fan of hip hotels in the main, so I was really rather nervous when I discovered my company had booked me into this hotel. It has mixed reviews on TripAdvisor, and they focus on the "hip-ness", which people seem to either love or hate, and given previous experiences with such hotels in NYC especially, I wasn't optimistic.

But the ACE Hotel and its staff proved me wrong. The lobby is full of people staring at each other or sat at long tables tapping blogs into Macs, but the staff did give me a warm welcome, and my room, despite being small was really cleverly put together and functioned perfectly.

Although I was only on the 3rd floor I was relieved and delighted to find that I couldn't hear the thumping music in the lobby bar. I could hear some street noise - but that's pretty universal in New York. However, I was woken at 3am every night by what seemed to be the unloading of massive amounts of steels from trucks, which I assumed to be related to the building work next door. In truth I can't blame the hotel for that.

All in all I had a great stay, and I'll be coming back, which says a lot for the ACE, because I'm a fussy guy. Thank you Ace Hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank s0s
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I have just come back from a short trip to NYC and decided to stay at Ace after reading the reviews.
It is the coolest hotel I've ever stayed at! Everything has been thought through carefully and I loved the experience. The hotel is just 2 minutes from the iconic Flatiron building and within walking distance of lots of other sights.
The room & bathroom were great. Breakfast was a little expensive but very good. The staff at reception were really friendly & helpful. Free wifi. Amazing coffee shop downstairs. I could go on!
The only negative was the noise on one of the nights. There was a party in one of the rooms on my floor which went on all night. The hotel staff clearly knew about it as room service kept bringing more alcohol and security were called up by other guests, and yet they allowed it to go on. That was a little annoying where I was jetlagged & in serious need of sleep! But the other two nights were quiet so it must have been a one-off.
Quite simply, if you're going to NYC & need somewhere amazing to stay, this is the place!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CSbrighton
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

If there's one word to describe the Ace Hotel it's "cool". The vibe is great, the staff is great and so accommodating, so nice. I was blown away! The hotel is located close to subway stations and it's walking distance to pretty much anywhere in manhattan. We stayed in a room that looked out to the Empire State Building and it was just gorgeous! Will definitely stay here again!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kalina N
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Thanks for the love Kalina N-
We look forward to a seeing you again and again and again...
xoxo