“Great Pet Friendly Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #220 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Tuckahoe, New York
“Great Pet Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel at the recommendation of my sister and brother in-law. They mentioned it was pet friendly and since we didn't feel like leaving our furry son home, we wanted him to experience the city for the first time. The staff at the Ace were extremely accommodating, to not only my wife and I but also our dog, Louie. They made sure he was comfortable in the room as well. The room we had was big enough for Louie to not feel trapped in a closet.

The room reminded me of a modern style dorm room. The bed was amazingly soft and comfortable and felt like sleeping on a cloud. The bathroom was extremely clean and loved the old styled shower. The location was great and easy to navigate to other areas of interest in the city.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Hi Mr and Mrs Rich B and Louie! We do not receive a lot of feedback about our pet program so this was a fun review to read. Thank you for sending it and we hope to have all of you back with us soon.
xoxo
The Staff of Ace NY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed at the Ace Hotel for 3 nights for a work trip. My teammates decided to stay at the property since they had enjoyed their previous visits. I was therefore very excited to stay at the Ace Hotel too.

When we arrived in the evening, the lobby was dim with loud music playing. I could tell right away that the hotel was very popular with hipsters and just younger folks in general. I was worried about the noise level from the rooms but it ended up being fine since my room was on the 12th floor (room 1224). However, with only two elevators for the entire hotel, it took forever to get to and from the 12th floor.

Upon entering my room, I couldn't believe it was so small. I had to remind myself that this was NYC but I just didn't think the room would be that tiny! It was basically the size of a single dorm room. The room had minimal amenities and I was disappointed that lotion was not provided. The bathroom light flickered often but I didn't bother asking for the issue to be fixed. The light on the nightstand wasn't working so I did call for an engineer to fix that problem. It turns out that the light was working fine but the bulb was simply loose. This is something that I thought would have been inspected before letting a guest stay in the room. I appreciated though that the engineer came quickly.

Overall, my stay was fine but I probably won't choose the hotel for future visits since it just wasn't to my taste. There were also a few things that could have been improved. The internet was very slow the entire trip. On the second day, the hotel had to fix some pipes so there was no water during the day. The letter to notify guests mentioned that the bottled water would be complimentary as a result. However, I still got charged for the water since I later saw the charge on my credit card statement. Also, upon check out, the front desk staff said they would send me an email copy of the bill but I never received it.

The one thing that I loved about the hotel was the Stumptown Coffee next to the lobby. The line is a bit long in the mornings but the coffee and pastries make it worth the wait!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LC411
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
LC411,
We’re pleased you had a good experience overall. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by the issues you mention. We are happy to read that when these matters were brought to our attention they were handled quickly and efficiently. We are looking into your billing issue and will make any necessary adjustments and resend to the email on file.
Should you decide to give us a second chance, please allow us to personally introduce you to alternate accommodations that might better suit your preferences. We can be reached at nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com. If not, please come on by for a Stumptown coffee! It's on us!
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Ace Hotel is very conceptual in style and attitude. You could say it is a little block in NYC, between Flatiron and Empire State Building, built around the hotel with a cool oyster bar, restaurant, coffee shop, fashion store (Opening Ceremony), flowers, a hamburger place and a gift shop. There is a lot of cool, quirky and inspirational details for creative people to discover. I was there with my whole family. Four people stayed in a large room with two double beds. It was spacious and smart designed, trendy but friendly. We had a fantastic view to the Empire State Building. Of course you hear noise from the street at night but this is New York so that is a part of the experience. The lobby is always crowded and fun. The music is definitely to loud for conversation in the evening. I can absolutely recommend the hotel if you are a creative and openminded person. We will probably return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hi Mimmi177 and Family!
Thank you for your visit and incredible feedback. It always makes us smile when we know our guests would consider returning one day! We will look forward to it and please let us know if we can assist.
xoxo,
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I was only in NYC for one night on a business trip, and all I wanted to do when I arrived at the hotel was get some food and sleep. Which was a complete waste of a fun, funky, beautiful hotel! I was in a massive King suite, with a seating area for 7, full size (and fully stocked!) fridge, a bed I couldn't reach the end of and windows all around, with shutters for blocking out the light and noise when I wanted to sleep. Oh, and in case I was musical, a guitar.

The water pressure in the shower was even excellent. I had trouble coming up with even one negative, and even now, the only thing I can think of is the food is a little expensive, with $4 for a bottle of water, but it was huge, in a massive glass bottle, and the water was actually tasty (I know, sounds strange, but I'm really picky about water). Every interaction with the staff was informal, friendly and super helpful. It felt like staying with incredibly competent friends who were happy I was there. And the food, the food. So yummy. I had the leek and goat cheese tart and it was lovely, cheesy goodness. Just what I needed after a long day of travel.

And the gym in the morning had everything I could possibly need! Which mind you, was mainly a treadmill, but I almost wanted to do some yoga just to take advantage of the stretching space. Finished the visit with a trip to Stumptown coffee, cappuccino with a pecan/blue cheese scone, sounds a little strange, but think a rich savory, nutty scone; I was sceptical, but it was actually really good. Thank you all so much for a wonderful visit, I hope I get to return!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank dramatrice
Hello dramatrice,
We are happy you were here! Thank you for your lovely review and for acknowledging our service and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back for future business trips... and maybe a little leisure time too!
xoxo,
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Ace was the recommended hotel for a creative conference I attended (99u) and I was traveling solo so I figured I'd give it a shot. Every now and then I get to travel and stay at some beautiful resort properties through my wife's line of work. That being said, the major players all seem to blend together. My trip to the Ace was a pleasant surprise. From the moment I walked through the door, the NYC energy hit me and I forgot all about the rain and bumpy flight in.

For creative types and interior design fans like myself, it's a real visual treat. In general the vibe is antique industrial, like Restoration Hardware's teenager with a flannel shirt, leather jacket and motorcycle boots, yet each one professionally tailored.

I stayed in a loft suite which, if I were single, I could easily see as somewhere I'd want to live. The turntable in the room was a great diversion from walking in and turning on the tv (although the 40" flat screen was there too).

Other bonuses: Stumptown Coffee and the Breslin Dining Room attached to the lobby. Next time I'll stay around the hotel more and less around the conference hall.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hi Brice F.
It was a pleasure having your group with us this month! Duly noted that your plan is to hangout at the hotel more on your next visit. We look forward to it! Thank you for your feedback and see you soon.
xoxo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

One thing that I've known Ace to be good at is exclusivity. Hipster yes, but with a chic edge that elevates it beyond the likes of other hipster hotels (or is that hostels?). In New York, they've got it wrong. Firstly, you never actually feel like a guest at the Ace; the lobby is crammed with bloggers taking up space to work through the day - in fact it's packed from 9am. The place stays packed into the wee hours.

With that comes the Ace's need to turn the lobby into a club. After a long day working, I came back to experience huge, pumping music in the lobby. With nowhere to sit or relax, I retreated to my room.

The rooms themselves are fine, nothing to shout about but comfortable. Room service is okay at best too; I had to wait an hour for a burger and fries. There's one guy working the room service shift, the poor guy look flustered when I finally got my food. The bar is fine, some nice drinks, but again, it's opened up to the public and not made a priority for guests. If this was a cheap hotel I'd understand, but the Ace is very pricey, even by New York standards.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a dump and is completely comfortable, but in terms of flying the Ace flag, they've not hit the mark yet. Improve customer service, make the hotel more exclusive for people ACTUALLY STAYING THERE and root out the deadwood of people occupying the lobby. There are plenty of cafes and bars in New York they could hang out at. Make the hotel for the guests first; they're the ones paying the extortionate bills.

Location is okay - in a bit of a no-mans land, not right in the middle of midtown or in the cooler area of Soho and East Village. So be prepared to walk, subway or taxi to cooler spots.

I'll be at the Ace again soon as it's where my business has a good rate, but I hope it's moved on a bit since my last visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the street - W29 is super noisy. Rooms looking inward in the building are much be...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Hi JohnnyUtah01,
Thank you for your visit and comments. We welcome all feedback and we meet on a daily basis to improve and understand our guest's needs.
Our lobby is a neighborhood space. We do offer preferential seating to Ace Hotel guests and any employee is available to assist with making this happen.
We would love to speak with you further regarding your feedback so we can make sure your next stay is a better one. It matters to us and we sincerely apologize if your impression was anything but.
We can be reached at nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com and we hope to hear from you soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I generally like the Ace properties. I've stayed at a few across the country. Unfortunately, the NY property is way over-priced for what it delivers - even taking into account New York prices. Someone else in the Reviews commented that it felt like a glorified hostile. I tend to agree. Being hip and edgy is one thing, but I have stayed at Motel 6's that had better toilet paper, softer sheets, and thermostats that actually worked. The staff is a little too cool for school too. I wish they'd smile a little more and lay off the condescending attitude. It is called the Hospitality Industry after all. When I'm forking over $400 a night, I'd appreciate being treated graciously as guest instead of as a bothersome nuisance. On the plus side, the bar and lobby have a great atmosphere and the location is great. Unfortunately, that didn't make up for its short-comings.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear captmycapt,
We are sorry to read that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations and more importantly that you weren't made to feel like the valued guest you are. Please accept our apologies. Should you decide to stay with us again, I would be happy to personally assist you with your reservation and learn how we can improve your experience. I can be reached at lisa.conza@acehotel.com.
Lisa and The Ace Staff