“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #228 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is very hip without being pretentious--the rooms are clean and smartly decorated, the staff pleasant & helpful...there's a party every evening in the lobby but that didn't seem to interrupt any other activities...

Room Tip: King Size beds have more room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hi marjesam!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We loved every bit of your feedback and are so happy you enjoyed your stay. Please feel free to let us know when you wish to return! We can be reached at nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com.
xoxo,
The Staff of Ace New York

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Ace Hotel was a good experience; relaxed with a sense of style but not too cool for school. The lobby bar was pretty impressive to look at though does get really noisy. One of my favourite things was the photobooth that does black and white strips of passport photos. The room was a good size for Manhattan, but the street art style mural gave my friend a bit of a headache. The bathroom was nice, the minibar was useful but quite hard to get into. The room had all the stuff you’d want from a hotel room, but it was a bit dark. The staff were helpful. I’d stay here again, if I was staying in Manhattan.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hi CherryDaiquiri!
Thank you for your visit and we appreciate your feedback. Oh that Photo Booth is the perfect place to capture some memories! Thanks for checking it out. We would happy to offer you a different room when you return - original artwork and unique layouts abound! Please feel free to reach out for assistance! nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com
Cheers,
The Staff of Ace New York
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Really liked the vibe of the hotel. Good rooms, bathrooms etc. Service was excellent and helpful. Great location.

Only small issue I had was that the lobby was perhaps a little too dark.

Overall a really nice place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you mejoyh!
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and found our service to be excellent and helpful. Your feedback means a lot to us. Please let us know when you wish to return. We would be happy to assist you! You can reach us at nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com.
xoxo
The Grateful Staff of Ace NY
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I stayed in one of the small rooms. While indeed small, the style more than made up for the lack of space. The amenities were amazing (we ended up buying the Pearl soap for ourselves) and the bed linens were super comfortable (hoorah for Pendleton wool blankets!). The Breslin is one of our favorite restaurants, so we were delighted that room service came from their kitchen. The only less-than-awesome element was the fact that you had to pay for anything you consumed in or on top of the refrigerator. $14 for a mini bottle of Jack? Maybe not. Other than the wildly overpriced booze, the atmosphere was busy and vibrant, the historic architecture is beautiful, and we'll definitely go back to the Ace…..carrying our own alcohol this time. ;)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
AshtonatAce, Front Office Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Hi Jem F,

Thanks for leaving us such positive feedback on your stay - it sounds like you really enjoyed your time at ACE. I personally love the Pearl soap and also have a really hard time resisting the room service burger from The Breslin. It's dangerous. Our staff is always here if you need us to point you anywhere in the neighborhood, so don't be shy. We hope to see you again soon.

Best,

Mac Warren + the ACE staff
London
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We booked two small rooms and I guess the clue was in the name, however space is a luxury in NYC and who wants to stay in a hotel room all weekend!

The staff are very uber and helpful! The only major thing we didn't like were the crowd that the hotel attracted at the weekends!

Good but not in the same league as the standard

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hi jollygud,
We hope you are well. Thank you for your visit and feedback. It is gratifying to read that you appreciated our uber-helpful staff! We really do our best to make you feel at home so if there is anything we can do to ensure your comfort on a return visit, please let us know. We can be reached at nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com.
All the best,
The Staff of Ace NY
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 18 May 2014

... But some things won me over. I arrived wayyyy early (10 AM) .. and I certainly understand having a full house so no early check in. The front desk staff were all very very friendly (Mark especially) and he called upon Bret to take my luggage to store for safe keeping till room was ready. My husabnds company booked us here for two nights in a medium room. I wanted to upgrade to a large room based on what I had read on Trip Advisor. But the hotel was booked. I could get into a room on the 2nd floor right away but was told if I was a light sleeper - I wouldnt be happy. I appreciate the honesty. So I opted for a room on an upper floor and to wait till the 3 PM check in. I sat in the lobby for a wee bit .. but it took forever to find a seat. I found the lobby to be jumping and felt like an oversized Starbucks with anybody and everybody camped out with their laptops buzzing away. It was a lovely NY morning so I took a walk. Im not a coffee drinker .. but the line out the door at Stumptown made me think I was missing something. After meeting with a friend for lunch I mozied back to hotel at about 2:45 and just as I set foot in the door my cell phone rang and it was Mark saying the room was ready! We were booked in a medium room on the 10th floor facing Broadway. I highly suggest you get a room on the upper floors to avoid the 24/7 noise of the lobby. I found the room on the small side. But this is NYC! I dropped luggage and took train to meet up with husband out on LI for a family event. We came back together that evening. The S M E G Fridge was just so much fun to rummage through!!! Full of so many good drinks! I tried to get on the internet and had no luck. I called the front desk and they offered to send up an "engineer" to help me .. but it was too late so I just said no I will try again tomorrow. It never did work. But doing with out the internet for 48 hours was just fine. I guess if I was that desperate I could go to the lobby! The big window had wonderul wooden shutters to block out noise and light. The hallway noise filtered into the room at times. The bathroom products are wonderful and smell sooooo good! I was disapointed to have no lotion. The shower was waaaayyyyy and I mean waaaayyy too small and poorly designed. Im not a big person and even I couldnt wash my hair or shave my legs with out water spilling over the very tiny tile edge. When my husband showered I had to stand guard with towels to wipe up the flooded floor. Oh and our first night we sweated bullets as the temp never went below 75. I like a cool room .. hot flashes and all ... ! The next day I called front desk and was told someone would come up and take care of it. We were just going out for a bit .. as I stepped into the hallway I was met with wonderful cool air. SO I knew it wasnt just my hot flashes .. when we returned our room was a wonderful 68 degrees!! So the second night was a much better night! Im told every room is different. SO if I go back Id really like to try a Large Room or a Suite.

Room Tip: Do Not book a room below the 5th floor. I was even told by the front desk - if you are a light sleep...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Hi Gracie17,
Thank you for sharing your feedback and the lovely shout out to Marc! We were so sorry to hear about your first night's a/c issue. Please accept our sincere apologies. We were able to note all of your preferences into your profile and we really hope we will see you again. If there is anything we can do to assist, please do not hesitate to ask. We can be reached at nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com
With warm regards,
The Staff of Ace NY
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I knew booking this hotel is wasn't a 5, 4 or even 3 star hotel but boy was I let down.
It is loud, the TV's don't work, no cable, issues with the internet and my toilet broke and flooded my room. The shocking part is the hotel felt all of this was just normal. "Yeah our TV's have been down for days..." The internet is spotty they say. The plumber is busy..."
It you want a club atmosphere this is the place for you.
Hotel service..not so much.
How about less loud music and a course in hotel management.

Pass

Room Tip: Maybe choose a hotel that is more hotel than nightclub?
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Hello Keithc27,

First, and most importantly, let me apologize on behalf of all of us here at Ace Hotel New York. It is clear you had a terrible experience and it is also clear that we missed several opportunities to turn it around for you. In no way is this acceptable. And in no way do we want this experience to be your last one. Although we do have a casual approach and we do enjoy having a good time that should not replace a real and honest approach to service. Functioning TV's, WiFi, toilets and a quiet place to sleep are of utmost importance as is the expectation that our team can adequately communicate any outages to the guests and to our team as a whole along with providing an alternative if needed. I do want to thank you for bringing this to our attention as one of the best ways to change and improve our service is receiving feedback from our guests. We urge you to reach out to us directly as we would love to have you back and make it right for you. You can contact me at Daniel.culbert@acehotel.com or any of our other managers nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com Please also reach out to us with any other questions or concerns. We look forward to hearing from you.

Best,