Ace Hotel New York
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$238
US$226
Room Mate Hotels
  • Pool
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$208
US$159
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$178
  • Room Service
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$188
  • Restaurant
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$218
US$181
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$382
US$309
Agoda.com
US$189
US$159
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$309
US$262
Travelocity
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$385
US$237
Official Site
  • Room Service
Archer Hotel New York(New York City)
US$331
US$299
Agoda.com
1,835 results
All reviewsstumptown coffeesmeg fridgebreslin restaurantmedium roommini roomjohn doryoyster baropening ceremonyhipster hotelphoto boothlobby barnew yorkcool hoteltoo cool for schoolflatiron districtthe empire state buildingcool vibe
Reviewed 10 January 2010

I was planning my trip to New York since summer, having read a lot of information and reviews. Finally, I booked for Ace Hotel the last week before my trip (ten days' wedding trip with my husband), as then they offered a lower rate than earlier. However, I was rather sceptical, as there is a lot of complaints about expensive and small hotel rooms in nyc.
Fortunatelly, the place is exactly what i wished to find: great disigned and decorated to the last detail, young crowd, fabulous enormous lobby and bar, with an indepedent - no hotel - atmosfere. Our room was like a small studio, with a leather sofa and other minimal - retro furniture, very clean and comfortable. Moreover, they satisfied my request for a city view, giving us a 10th floor room with faboulous view to the Empire State building, which was just opposite the hotel!! (5 blocks north)

What was also important to me, is that it gave me a feeling of an independent residence, because of its studio effect and the hotel's discrit, but effective staff.

But, beware: if you look for a more traditional hotel, you may not be satisfied.

Just to mention a disadvantage: the air condition heating system is not efficient enough for chilling winter days..

Therfore, I highly recomend this hotel, if your wishes are like mine!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2010

I actually looked into Ace while staying at another hotel in Manhattan because I saw it trending on Foursquare during the holidays. After booking somewhere else instead (big mistake) I found a great room rate at Ace online and moved in for four nights.

Let me count the reasons why I love this place:

-- Rehabbed historic Manhattan hotel featuring original architectural touches (beautiful tile floor, grand lobby, light-bulb marquee, whimsical period touches, such as player piano wall papers, grand old couches and rugs)

-- Awesome staff (Doorman looks like Johnny Depp in '21 Jump Street' but is as sweet as a puppy, front desk is very helpful re: public transportation questions)

-- Espresso (Portland's favorite coffee roaster Stumptown has a small outpost here with really nice baristas serving up great espresso drinks. They also have 'frequent customer' punch-cards and they're not afraid to give you a few extra 'punches' on the house.)

-- Lobby Bar has an inspired selection of cocktails (Try the Bitter Lemon, looks like orange Kool-Aid but tastes like strange and delicious alcoholic goodness.)

-- The Breslin (Good menu and nice staff. I sat at the bar in the window one morning and had Greek yogurt and a Stumptown latte and about three different wait staff came over to check on me, see if I had enough water, etc.)

-- Rooms (My room was small, and my bed seemed a little short, but I booked the cheapest option. Nevertheless the room details were quirky and inspired, i.e., Pocky and Ramen on the mini-bar; Rudy's shower supplies; interesting entertainment picks on the telly, cozy bedding.)

-- Great Location (It's right off Herald Sq. You can easily haul a roller bag over to Penn Station, take the 6 up to Grand Central, take the B/F/D into Brooklyn, etc. It's also really easy to get into Chelsea and over to the High Line and Meat Packing District.)

-- FREE WIFI, STRONG SIGNAL EVERYWHERE (Coursing at full speed through rooms, lobby, restaurant, etc.) Need I say more?

My only complaint, and I advise you to heed this warning, is to ***STAY AWAY FROM ANY ROOM NEAR AN ELEVATOR***. On weekends (drunk) people congregate and hang out with friends around the elevators. It's just like being in a dorm again -- full suck. Get a room at the end of one of the halls -- you'll thank me later.

I've been following some new developments since I checked out, and it sounds like Ace is also getting a basement speakeasy and an Opening Ceremony boutique. This leads me to think this place may become a victim of its own success. A year from now it will be interesting to see if Ace Hotel can sustain the greatness that was on full display during the Holidays in 2009.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank sjc90039
Reviewed 8 January 2010

First off, I have never been to NYC and didn't know what to expect. We chose ACE for several reasons and it seemed like a different style of hotel, and it is. I am a concierge at a four star resort and my fiancé is a dining operations manager of the same resort. We have a certain set of criteria for hospitality that is probably different from most; and furthermore, I understand that this is a new hotel and they were still in the process of coming on-line (dinner was not available and the gym had yet to be finished) so I granted them slack. The lobby always had people in it and was a very lively scene at night. I appreciated the youthful feel. The outfits of the front desk agents were contemporary and the attitudes pleasant but they were always busy (I never saw more than two people on and they were constantly on the phone since they acted as concierge as well). I waited for fifteen minutes in line while they sorted out checkouts/ins, credit card problems and dinner reservations, something that would never happen at other properties.

The room was nice (we had a loft for three nights on the 6th floor) and had interesting and fun amenities. The fridge was well stocked, the soaps were well chosen, and the loft was spacious considering their other rooms. I will say that their living room furniture is not the most comfortable and the decor is minimalist (which continues the contemporary theme of the lobby). I will also mention to not swivel the flat screen TV in the living room. We had an issue with the cable box falling out (they wedged it between the TV mount and the wall and wasn't bolted to anything). We liked the "Survival Guide" that was in the rooms and appreciated the fact that employees listed their favorite places to eat. This was a nice touch.

All in all, it was a nice stay. We didn't have anything to base it on in the city (which might have been a good thing), and everything is probably up and running by now. I would recommend this hotel to friends but warn them it is not the typical hotel experience they might be use to.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mcd802
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Having read the reviews on here, i have to say they are generally accurate. We arrived by the shuttle bus late at night and as the driver stated 'i'm going to get myself shot dropping you off' we felt slightly anxious as to where we'd be staying. Luckily he was far from right, the hotel is lovely, very cool so is def for the younger gneration. The room was very small and on a downside there was no wardrobe so we had to live out of the case, as it was only for 5 days and full of jeans and jumpers it didn't matter but maybe a problem if you had taken nicer clothes to wear out. The room was spotlessly clean and the bed was the most comfortable i've ever stayed in.

The hotel is down from Macy's but only a 10 min walk from times square, the subway is also a 1 min walk away so the location as good. The satff were really friendy and helped us find locations in NY and checked us in to our flight home.

Overall would def stay there again, for bigger roosm the price would rocket up so a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zoezew
Reviewed 1 January 2010

I've stayed at the Ace twice- once in June with a friend, and again in October on my own. The first stay was in a well-designed, spacious suite complete with guitar, mini fridge, and cool handcrafted table. The second stay was in one of the "cheap" rooms that was much smaller but just as cool.
The breakfast is a definite plus- delicious coffee and pastries served in the large, library-reading room style lobby, it was comfortable way to start the day.
The location in the flower district is great- short walk to trains. The staff were terrific- helpful and good at providing ideas for fun things to do in the city or Brooklyn (where most of them seem to live).

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends