“Easily the best hotel I've stayed in in NYC.”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #229 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“Easily the best hotel I've stayed in in NYC.”
Reviewed 27 January 2010

I recently organized a client event at the Ace Hotel, and had my team of 10 staying in the hotel for 4 nights, and then an event for 50 in the Liberty Hall.

Firstly, the hotel is cool. Everything they do is cool. Everything.

Secondly, and this is the best bit, I thought the staff would be painfully hip and aloof to a businessman like me. Well, they are very hip, but the service our team received was some of the best I have ever had in NYC (and I come here about 10 times a year and have stayed all over). Not only are they very helpful, they make it feel like it's a friend helping you out - there is never a hint that they might be after a tip, or that something might be a little trouble. In fact when I did tip them, especially the doormen, they actually looked surprised!

In addition, I was travelling with a 6 month old daughter, and they couldn't do enough to help out. The rooms didn't have a microwave, but they were more than happy to sterilize the bottles for us.

When we arrived on the Friday night, the lobby was JUMPING! It looked like a major event was happening. We asked the doorman what the event was, and he said, "It's just Friday night", The lobby is very much a hanging out place in the day, and happening place at night. It was busy all of the time.

We were on the 2nd floor at the front, and I was worried about the noise from the Lobby, but even our daughter didn't hear a thing. It is NYC so you can always here things going on outside. Actually, that's a point - the windows aren't great. Not the end of the world I suppose.

If you can I can strongly recommend room 214. Very spacious.

At the end of the day, if you like the corporate style of a Holiday Inn or a Mariott, then this isn't for you. It's very unique and very different. But if you like to feel you are in somewhere special and different, and yet you don't want to risk something unknown, then this is the place.

Easily the best hotel I've stayed in in NYC - and I've been in a lot.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank jeepinaldo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Washington DC
Reviewed 25 January 2010

We stayed at Ace for one night in January, and everything about the place was fantastic. Atmosphere is casual, but organized. Check in was smooth and the people working were upbeat and welcoming. Hotel lobby doubles as a bar/lounge that had a solid crowd as the night progressed. The rooms were also more than I expected. Decor in the room gave a modern, hipster vibe, which we loved. We stayed in a Small room with a king bed. The minibar and snacks were fully stocked, with a wide variety of snacks, liquors and juices. The bathroom was clean. Showers are on the smaller side, but the showerheads made up for the size. Great water pressure. Beds were the best part of the stay--SO COMFORTABLE! Also, we loved the environmentally-friendly aspects of the hotel, including the double flush toilets and the in-shower shampoo, conditioner and body wash. Hotel was in a great location if you want to be close to about everything. You're pretty much in between the east and west side, so walking is always an option. On the few occasions that we did hop in a cab, we were close enough that the fare never exceeded $8. Overall, this was a fantastic hotel.

1 Thank ttomczyszyn
New Haven
Reviewed 25 January 2010

My wife and I enjoy unique hotels that dare to differentiate themselves from cookie cutter lodgings that make no effort to capture the flavor of their surroundings. This hotel goes to great lengths to provide an "experience" rather than just a place to sleep. Although the neighborhood is less than upscale, the edifice is ornate and the lobby is lively, youthful and welcoming. It takes a moment to identify front desk amongst the laptop crowd, the bar, the coffee shop and the restaurant which are all in full swing. Friendly hotel employees are there to direct you to the proper area and check-in is quick and easy.
Once the avant garde flavor of the Ace Hotel sinks in, it is evident that this hotel has targeted a very specific demographic; hip, non-homophobic 25-35 year old, New York savy professionals. Unfotunatetly, we fall outside the target group.
The rooms are artsy, post college-dorm chic, still in the process of transitioning from the low income apartment building that was its former life. Of special note were the Epiphone guitars, available on request and 3D in-room adult movies.
We had a late night dinner at the adjoining ultra-crowded, ultra-noisy, trendy restaurant. Our table was much too close to the 50 year old guy treating his 18 year old, drunk, male prostitute to a long overdue meal. The night club in the basement was too jammed to squeeze into and too loud to scream a conversation.
I can honestly say that staying here was an intesting, reasonably priced experience. I'll leave it to the correct target group while I search for something else next time.

3 Thank ditdoy
Athens
Reviewed 10 January 2010

I was planning my trip to New York since summer, having read a lot of information and reviews. Finally, I booked for Ace Hotel the last week before my trip (ten days' wedding trip with my husband), as then they offered a lower rate than earlier. However, I was rather sceptical, as there is a lot of complaints about expensive and small hotel rooms in nyc.
Fortunatelly, the place is exactly what i wished to find: great disigned and decorated to the last detail, young crowd, fabulous enormous lobby and bar, with an indepedent - no hotel - atmosfere. Our room was like a small studio, with a leather sofa and other minimal - retro furniture, very clean and comfortable. Moreover, they satisfied my request for a city view, giving us a 10th floor room with faboulous view to the Empire State building, which was just opposite the hotel!! (5 blocks north)

What was also important to me, is that it gave me a feeling of an independent residence, because of its studio effect and the hotel's discrit, but effective staff.

But, beware: if you look for a more traditional hotel, you may not be satisfied.

Just to mention a disadvantage: the air condition heating system is not efficient enough for chilling winter days..

Therfore, I highly recomend this hotel, if your wishes are like mine!

Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 January 2010

I actually looked into Ace while staying at another hotel in Manhattan because I saw it trending on Foursquare during the holidays. After booking somewhere else instead (big mistake) I found a great room rate at Ace online and moved in for four nights.

Let me count the reasons why I love this place:

-- Rehabbed historic Manhattan hotel featuring original architectural touches (beautiful tile floor, grand lobby, light-bulb marquee, whimsical period touches, such as player piano wall papers, grand old couches and rugs)

-- Awesome staff (Doorman looks like Johnny Depp in '21 Jump Street' but is as sweet as a puppy, front desk is very helpful re: public transportation questions)

-- Espresso (Portland's favorite coffee roaster Stumptown has a small outpost here with really nice baristas serving up great espresso drinks. They also have 'frequent customer' punch-cards and they're not afraid to give you a few extra 'punches' on the house.)

-- Lobby Bar has an inspired selection of cocktails (Try the Bitter Lemon, looks like orange Kool-Aid but tastes like strange and delicious alcoholic goodness.)

-- The Breslin (Good menu and nice staff. I sat at the bar in the window one morning and had Greek yogurt and a Stumptown latte and about three different wait staff came over to check on me, see if I had enough water, etc.)

-- Rooms (My room was small, and my bed seemed a little short, but I booked the cheapest option. Nevertheless the room details were quirky and inspired, i.e., Pocky and Ramen on the mini-bar; Rudy's shower supplies; interesting entertainment picks on the telly, cozy bedding.)

-- Great Location (It's right off Herald Sq. You can easily haul a roller bag over to Penn Station, take the 6 up to Grand Central, take the B/F/D into Brooklyn, etc. It's also really easy to get into Chelsea and over to the High Line and Meat Packing District.)

-- FREE WIFI, STRONG SIGNAL EVERYWHERE (Coursing at full speed through rooms, lobby, restaurant, etc.) Need I say more?

My only complaint, and I advise you to heed this warning, is to ***STAY AWAY FROM ANY ROOM NEAR AN ELEVATOR***. On weekends (drunk) people congregate and hang out with friends around the elevators. It's just like being in a dorm again -- full suck. Get a room at the end of one of the halls -- you'll thank me later.

I've been following some new developments since I checked out, and it sounds like Ace is also getting a basement speakeasy and an Opening Ceremony boutique. This leads me to think this place may become a victim of its own success. A year from now it will be interesting to see if Ace Hotel can sustain the greatness that was on full display during the Holidays in 2009.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank sjc90039
Stowe
Reviewed 8 January 2010

First off, I have never been to NYC and didn't know what to expect. We chose ACE for several reasons and it seemed like a different style of hotel, and it is. I am a concierge at a four star resort and my fiancé is a dining operations manager of the same resort. We have a certain set of criteria for hospitality that is probably different from most; and furthermore, I understand that this is a new hotel and they were still in the process of coming on-line (dinner was not available and the gym had yet to be finished) so I granted them slack. The lobby always had people in it and was a very lively scene at night. I appreciated the youthful feel. The outfits of the front desk agents were contemporary and the attitudes pleasant but they were always busy (I never saw more than two people on and they were constantly on the phone since they acted as concierge as well). I waited for fifteen minutes in line while they sorted out checkouts/ins, credit card problems and dinner reservations, something that would never happen at other properties.

The room was nice (we had a loft for three nights on the 6th floor) and had interesting and fun amenities. The fridge was well stocked, the soaps were well chosen, and the loft was spacious considering their other rooms. I will say that their living room furniture is not the most comfortable and the decor is minimalist (which continues the contemporary theme of the lobby). I will also mention to not swivel the flat screen TV in the living room. We had an issue with the cable box falling out (they wedged it between the TV mount and the wall and wasn't bolted to anything). We liked the "Survival Guide" that was in the rooms and appreciated the fact that employees listed their favorite places to eat. This was a nice touch.

All in all, it was a nice stay. We didn't have anything to base it on in the city (which might have been a good thing), and everything is probably up and running by now. I would recommend this hotel to friends but warn them it is not the typical hotel experience they might be use to.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mcd802
england
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Having read the reviews on here, i have to say they are generally accurate. We arrived by the shuttle bus late at night and as the driver stated 'i'm going to get myself shot dropping you off' we felt slightly anxious as to where we'd be staying. Luckily he was far from right, the hotel is lovely, very cool so is def for the younger gneration. The room was very small and on a downside there was no wardrobe so we had to live out of the case, as it was only for 5 days and full of jeans and jumpers it didn't matter but maybe a problem if you had taken nicer clothes to wear out. The room was spotlessly clean and the bed was the most comfortable i've ever stayed in.

The hotel is down from Macy's but only a 10 min walk from times square, the subway is also a 1 min walk away so the location as good. The satff were really friendy and helped us find locations in NY and checked us in to our flight home.

Overall would def stay there again, for bigger roosm the price would rocket up so a great stay.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple