“Great hotel that needs just a few tweeks.”
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Ace Hotel New York
Ranked #206 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 March 2010

As far as this type of New York hotel goes this is up there with the best. We upgraded our room for more space and were given a very spacious room by New York standards. (Unfortunately, not the Empire State view). A good sized bathroom with an excellent shower once the hot water supply kicked in. I don't sleep very well in hotels but the bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in and a good nights sleep was had most nights. It was only interupted by the late night crowd returning to their rooms and a nerd of a business man talking to his office on the phone at 6.40 in the morning from the corridor. Why don't they do these calls from the lobby or their room?

The staff were helpful and the lobby was always vibrant with plenty going on. If you like a nice quiet hotel this is not for you as there is always some event going on most evenings and that quiet armchair in the corner with a night cap is not going to happen.

The location is great, a subway stop around the corner that gets around the 5 boroughs very quickly, short walk to Macy's and Time Square. The fact that it is just south of 34th street means that the outside noise level is kept to minimum.

Sounds great so why not give it 5 stars. Well, it takes at least 5 minutes to extract any hot water. The hotel was opened early 2009 and they still have not sorted the air conditioning properly, our room along with all the others was at a constant 72 degrees and no matter how much we tried it could not be altered. Even a guest from California found it too warm. The television reception was either good or downright bad. When any of these problems were queried we were told that they still had some teething problems, even after 15 months, come on guys. It was said in a nice way though. The other thing that I would query is the price on some of the room service. 5 star prices yes but not quite a 5 star hotel but real fun to stay in though.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 March 2010

Really nice vibe. One of the few hotels I've stayed in NYC where I actually enjoyed going back to the room during the day; might have been physical orientation where there was lots of natural light. Room was small but very comfortable, and the shower was a hoot (one of those waterfall ones). Only thing to beware of - when they say "twin bunk," there is not that much space between the top and bottom bunks (pretty much standard bunk beds?), so if you're over about 5'2", either plan on sleeping on the top bunk, or be prepared to duck a lot.

Neighborhood felt safe when coming back at night from the theater. Convenient to the Garment District and close to subway stops that go up Broadway or Lexington, so it's convenient for both Times Square/Theater District and the Museum Mile. Also fairly close to the Bolt and Megabus stops.

Most of the other places I've stayed in NYC have been fine, but I'm in no rush to stay a second time. This hotel is on my very short list of "I want to go back there" hotels.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank IteUrsi88
Reviewed 11 March 2010

As a resident New Yorker, i needed to stay in midtown one evening due to a social engagement planned the following day. Rather than going uptown to my apt, i dedided to stay at the Ace Hotel..It was a great experience. It's a boutique hotel with a casual, laid back atmosphere..very cool...internet-wifi access in the lounge area as you walk in..convenient bar and restaurant for quick dining..and a wonderful , helpful staff. The rooms are immaculate, funky and very reasonably priced. Convenient to everywhere, it's located at 20 west 29th st, a few short blocks from Macy's and Madison Sq Garden..and only a quick 15 min walk to Times Square. I highly recommend this hotel .

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank bigappleguide1
Reviewed 11 March 2010

One of the best things about our stay in New York! The hotel was unique in that it had a great funky, quirky vibe with hotel staff who provided great service. They were professional yet managed to also add character to the hotel by adding personal touches to their service. The times we needed to call them to our room: ie to show us how to use the heat-sensitive dimmer switch (!!!) they were there straight away and were more than happy to help.
The rooms had great little individual touches, such as guitars, funky artwork or unusual furniture. The beds were extremely comfortable and the amenities more than sufficed. The lobby bar was also a great place to hang out and have a drink, not to mention, had the most amazing chocolate donuts!
While it was in a perfect spot for accessibility to most tourist hot-spots and great restaurants and bars it was in an area that was full of wholesale shops and stalls which seemed to attract some unusual characters and seemed somewhat daunting at night for three young females.
We would also recommend that when booking, ask for a room with a shower which is part of the bath or else there is the risk of flooding the entire bathroom! We also had three people and whilst the king bed was fantastic, it was a little tight for the third person and the fold-out cot was not all that luxurious-a bit hard and squeaky.
All in all though we would definitely recommend it to everyone and anyone, especially the traveller which is looking for a bit of a hip-and-happening place!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adelaide2010
Reviewed 3 March 2010

Ahhh, Ace Hotel. What can I say? I loved you from start to finish. The place is so cool, yet approachable, warm, friendly. I can't say I've ever stayed in such a hip hotel before, and the experience was great.

As has been mentioned, the staff is young and hot, yet still completely warm and professional to everyone. Helpful and caring and going above and beyond. Impeccable service. Great vibe. At the end of our stay we discovered someone at the bar had charged drinks to our room, and of course they removed it immediately with no questions. Kudos to a wonderful staff.

Adored the ambiance of the lively, hoppin' lounge/lobby area. Spacious, beautiful, and each and every time I walked through I loved the music they were playing. Every time we came back to the hotel that lobby was crazy, but not in an off-putting way. I hate crowds, and am well past the 20-year old scene... this truly rose above that. It was heaven coming in on our last night there (a Sunday, about 1am) and finding the place was down to just several small groups sprinkled around, and we could grab our bottle of wine from upstairs, sprawl on one of those comfy couches, and listen to the awesome music that was a notch or two higher without the din of the crowds that had been in the place all weekend. All I was missing was my jammies. I wanted to move in.

Our room was upgraded from a small to a medium... While I cannot attest to what the small would have felt like, the medium was plenty big with a table and chairs, decent fridge and an incredibly comfortable bed. It felt like a cloud. One strike against that same lovely bed for dinging me hard in the shin with some sharp edged corner that shouldn’t be there. Still bruised.

The area, while I read beforehand as being described as in a no-man’s land... It IS kind of between neighborhoods, but it’s not far from anything either and we found the location central and suited to running around Manhattan. No complaints.

There are also cool computer labs on 4 floors which we used and found helpful.

If I had to nitpick anything, it would be the door slamming that was pretty abundant. The doors are on those hydraulics that are supposed to slow the door down from slamming... When they’re done right they work. There was tons of racket from people going in and out of their rooms and letting their doors fall shut behind them. Then again, maybe those guests were born in a barn.

All in all, I’d definitely stay at Ace again and recommend it to most people (perhaps not my parents).

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1MoreTravelGirl
Reviewed 28 February 2010

I stayed for two nights in a 5th floor courtyard room that was very quiet. Probably the quietest room I've ever had in a NYC hotel. There was a public use Mac on my floor which was nice since I didn't bring my laptop. My room was sparse-- I didn't have a desk nor a closet or rack on which to hang any of my clothes, which I found odd, but the room was a good size and king bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly. The lobby lounge is quite the hip place at night but I couldn't hear any of the noise in my room. The coffee shop serves Portland's Stumptown coffee and the Breslin restaurant has a limited but good menu all day- both are excellent. The hotel is very centrally located and I would stay there again if I could get a room for under $200.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank chicagocurator
Reviewed 28 February 2010

However if you enjoy something a bit different and celebrate unique-ness and creativity then go along and try the Ace! If you are a light sleeper bring ear plugs especially if your room faces the front of the hotel. I slept lightly the first night only because of the excitement of being in New York and was aware of the street noise - by the second night I was so happily exhausted by the walking/sight seeing, etc I was oblivious to it all! The Ace has tried hard to be "different" and they have succeeded - the decor is different and the main lobby bar was almost atmospheric day or night although you may have to ask people with a smile if they will "skooch" up to make room on the sofas. This was our first trip to New York and my face was a picture when I looked out the room window and said "is that the Empire State Building?" - ok you realise within a few hours that you can see the ESB from everywhere but I still felt very pleased to see it from Room 620! The room was small but we hadnt paid a lot of money and were out all day. The shower was great, the bed was one of the most comfy I have ever slept in and the room and main corridors were very cosy - considering it was snowing on our arrival! The decor is dark so be aware of this before coming along - as I said in the title if you expect european type bland pastel room you will be disappointed! We didn't have much contact with the staff except on check in/out and buying drinks and coffee and they were always courteous and polite whilst managing to serve you in a very "unlike hotel staff" kind of way. I loved their freshness and would only recommend the Ace to others who would appreciate their approach. We never saw any chambermaids etc as we were on the go from early in the morning and back in the evening but they did a marvellous job - our room was always spotless even though I managed to get white powder from my aeosol all over the dark grey/carpet - there was no trace later! We had mocha from Stomptown Coffee and it was delicious. Also on arrival our room wasnt yet ready and they checked in our cases and we went out for a while to "walk round the block" - well within a few minutes we had seen the Flatiron, The Empire State Building and Macy's so you are really in the middle of it all! When we went back the room was still not ready but happily they gave us a ticket for the bar - my vodka was certainly not "measured" as it was more of a large double....very welcome! Do yourself a favour - if you are coming over for the first time to do a whole load of sightseeing and not really looking to lounge around your room...save some money and enjoy the experience of the Ace. We were within walking distance of most of the things we wanted to see and within close proximity to sub way stations although we never felt the need to use one. Get up the ESB as soon as you can so you get your bearings of just how central you are - we went in the evening and had no wait whatsoever. We got night time photos here and then did Top Of The Rock in the daytime to get the views of the ESB and then Central Park. We also did the short cruise via Virgin to see Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn and Manhatten Bridges etc and the guide Arthur was great. It was freezing up top but well worth it for the photo opps and it was all part of the experience - the company ran free buses afterwards to get you either uptown to Central Park or downtown to Wall Street which we choose as we were on our way to ground zero - we noticed the driver allowed people to ring the bell and get off where ever they wanted on the way eg Greenwich Village, SoHo, Tribeca. We had a fabulous short experience in New York and saw all the obvious things and got a whole lot of atmosphere. The Ace Hotel was all part of that first experience. For only a few nights you won't mind the lack of storage space, etc. My son and daughter who are both art students would love this place - we are maybe getting on for the wrong side of 40 to have enjoyed this so much but it was all part of our New York experience. Staying at the Ace Hotel really made us feel like we were in hip and happening New York (even complete with the non stop taxi honking outside all night!) and we perhaps would not have felt this so keenly had we been staying in a "bland" run of the mill hotel. I have to say that although the lobby bar was jumping every single night and on the second night had a DJ set we hard no noise from this whatsoever - perhaps noise of people leaving in taxis but I was totally zonked with all the sightseeing!! Thank you to everyone at the Ace for our experience - and to Andrew from Virgin who helped at the Welcome Breakfast at Brendans (Comfort Inn) to not make the bookings feel like a sales opportunity - breakfast at Brendan's Grill was lovely and Andrew gave us some tips on how best to organise our days....saved us a wasted trip to the Pier for our cruise as in "out of season" does not run every day. Wish more "reps" would learn from the way Andrew handles things!!!What a great time - already planning another trip to New York so we can take a bit more time to take in maybe a show and some exhibitions, etc. If you like something a little different try the Ace. Locals seem to meet here for coffee and all sorts of ad hoc meetings and groups of friends in the bar, etc. It does feel like you are part of a "scene" whether you participate or simply look on! Thanks Ace! Try it if it sounds like you'd like it! I'd only recommend it to friends who would appreciate the Ace's unique delivery -if the friends are expecting a spacious room with a bland european hotel chain feel then this hotel would not satisfy them!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple