“New York Beer, Cheese and Chocolate Tour”

City Food Tours and Events
Ranked #237 of 644 Tours in New York City
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The unique concept behind City Food Tours was developed in New York City when Joyce Weinberg, a seasoned food industry professional with more than 20 years of experience, wanted to share her passion for fine foods. From managing Fortune 500 confectionery businesses, to buying gourmet chocolates for Bloomingdales, she's done it all. Compared to other existing New York food tours that focus on more common foods, CFT introduces tour guests to a vast offering of high-quality, artisanal foods and encourage them to support local specialty stores, farmers, and sustainable agriculture. We help people realize that there's a lot more out there than the processed foods they encounter in mega-marts.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My fiancé and I got this tour as a gift, as he loves beer and cheese, but just be aware that 90% of this tour is DESSERT! It is very misleading to call it a "Beer, cheese, & chocolate tour", as it should be called a Dessert tour. There are six stops on the tour, and 5 out of 6 were different chocolates & cookies & cakes! If you love dessert, this is the tour for you. The last stop, you get to taste different beers and cheeses. WENDY was the BEST tour guide! She was very knowledge about the city and was fun to walk around with. The food was fabulous, just wish there was more beer and cheese!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We took the Lower East Side Food Tour. It was great. Each stop was very interesting with delicious food. There was a good variety of types of food. Our guide Eric explained the history of the area in a relaxed conversational manner. He is clearly knowledgeable and has a good sense of humor.

J & J

1  Thank john m
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I took my Dad on the chocolate, wine and dessert tour on the Upper West Side for his birthday. It was a fun afternoon and all of the desserts we tasted were great. Wendy, our tour guide, was both friendly and knowledgeable. I only had two issues with the experience. First, was the fact that one of the stops was at a tea store. In my opinion, tea doesn't really count as "dessert". Second, was the fact that the gentleman helping us at the wine stop only provided rosé wines for us to taste as opposed to reds or whites, which would have been preferable. Despite this, the tour was a great way to explore the area and, for someone who lives in Manhattan, to learn some fun places to find treats.

1  Thank HSC87
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I was going to rate it Very Good and asked myself what would have made it excellent? It poured rain the say we went and we were soaked, so if it would have been nice out it would have been excellent. Since the company and tour guide cannot control the weather it truly was excellent.
We started out with chocolate truffles and then had the BEST hot chocolate I have ever had in my life (49 years). Other stops included a tea shop, which to my amazement, both me and my daughter (22) really enjoyed. Then a hard candy shop (my least favorite but still good), a coffee shop that turns to a wine bar after 4pm where we had quiche. A bakery where we had chocolate croissants, an Italian meat and cheeses store where our lovely, friendly, and knowledgeable guide picked up several cheeses and brought to our last stop, the wine store. We sampled a white, a red and a sparkling wine. There were 8 on the tour and we all finished off the bottles while chatting and eating cheese. The guide told us of the history of the buildings and other facts along the way. The shops we stopped in at were little hole in the wall places that I would probably have just walked by. This is what we were looking for, the heart of the city. We loved it and cannot wait to do more tours.

1  Thank LovesWine29
Reviewed 1 May 2014

took this tour in early November '13 - absolutely wonderful time, great variety of interesting food and entertaining leader. learned a lot about the area along with enjoying the eats.

1  Thank Diane403