“Nice size room in NYC.”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #322 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel was busy but clean. Location was great for walking, restaurants and shopping. There are a couple of drawbacks, only two elevators, so service uses the same ones as guests. In the morning, the wait for an elevator was quite long, however, the staff was very attentive and friendly. Serviceable small bar/ restaurant. Prices in NYC can be crazy, so this hotel was quite reasonable in the scheme of things. We would stay again, it was an overall good experience.

• Stayed: May 2013
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Travelchef39, we are so glad that you found our hotel to be clean, reasonably priced, and the staff to be attentive and friendly, and the location to your liking. Please return soon!

Reviewed 20 May 2013

The hotel was as per previous experience a total winner and a pleasant stay. Good value from a rates and indulgence point of view versus various other similar venues in the vicinity. Perfect location and within striking/walking distance from most of the major to do and to see tourist attractions New York has to offer.  THX!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Stuart H

Stuart H, please accept gratitude on behalf of our entire staff for your kind words, and for returning to stay with us from such a distance.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

We had a large group stay at this hotel. It's close to tourist areas, food and shopping. The hotel staff was very helpful and any issues were handled quickly and professionally. I highly recommend Smithfield on W 28th for dinner. Willie runs the place and chef Paul runs the kitchen.

• Stayed: May 2013

Danielle C, thank you so much for your kind words regarding our staff, and for the incredible restaurant tip. We are glad you enjoyed the hotel's proximity to tourist attractions, food and shopping. We hope to welcome you back to the city on your next visit, on your own or in a group.

Reviewed 18 May 2013

The room was very small, but that is what you can expect anywhere in Manhattan. Also no pool, but again, that's Manhattan. Reasonably friendly staff, very clean, comfortable beds, great view of the Empire State Building, very quiet, and perfect location.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Matthew L, we are happy to know that you enjoyed our friendly staff, comfortable beds, the view and location! We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2013

I'm in NYC frequently, have been there 3 times just in the past month. Each time I've stayed at a different hotel, as I like to experience variety and gain a good persective.

Unfortunately as I entered the very small lobby of the Doubletree Hotel Chelsea New York City, I was "greeted" by "Nick R." I use the term greeted VERY loosley because there was no eye contact, no acknowledgement of my presence. It's not as if there were a large number of people checking in. I believe there were only 2 check-in's ahead of me, and there was another agent besides Nick R. I had the misfortune of getting him.

So, I had to say, "Excuse me, I'm here to check in", then proceeded to give him my name. He began to type into his computer (still without making eye contact) and said ok, you're in a smoking room, you're all set and began to printout paperwork for me to sign. OK, problem. I would never book a smoking room. This would be a deal-breaker. Call me crazy, but I get sick when exposed to carcinogenic inhalants.

I asked Nick R if there was anything else available, he said No we're completely full. At that point, I said I can't stay in a smoking room, the smell of the prior smokers would make me sick. Nick R said there was nothing he could do even though this meant I would have to leave the hotel. So, just as I was prepared to ask him to cancel my room so I could wander the streets with my bags in tow, looking for another room, a kind woman, also checking-in overheard this conversation and said, "Can we trade rooms, I'm a smoker and I have a non-smoking room." I was happy to hear this and thought the problem was solved. I asked Nick R if he could just arrange for the swap. He (still without making eye contact) whispered something to his colleague, and then proceeded to type. It appears, there WERE other non-smoking rooms available after all based on his whispers to the colleague. Ultimately, after a lot of Unnecessary, Non-customer related, Unprofessional, Cold, Curt, Impersonal, Arrogant treatment by Nick R, I got a non-smoking room! (To be fair, the other staff that I encountered ranged from adequate to pleasant, Nick R seemed to be the only stand-out, from a negative perspective)

OK, so, to me this incident was an example of how first impressions CAN be impactful. This issue was a make or break situation, and was met with complete indifference whereby the resolution was negotiated between the customers! Sad. This is NYC, capital of the world to many, and the worst treatment I've had at any of the 3 hotels I've stayed at in the past month.

As for the room, it was very small, clean, the decor a bit dated looking, bed was comfortable, pillows not comfortable, certainly NO view. It wasn't worth the uncomfortable treatment at check in. Had it not been for that, I would say this was a solid 3 star property, so thats what I would give it and did give it.

So if you're looking for bare-bones hotel that does however, offer clean comfortable beds, in a good location, this could work for you. If you need ANY sort of customer support outside the norm, avoid Nick R, and this could still work for you!

Room Tip: If smoking/non-smoking rooms are important to you, be sure to bring your confirmation of this with y...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank RJ R

RJ R, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience checking in to our hotel, and please know that we endeavor to make a much better first impression. Your experience has been shared with our Front Desk Team so that we can improve upon our future service, and so that we can make sure it is consistent. You will be happy to also know that our hotel will be converted to completely non-smoking by the end of June, following stringent treatment standards and replacement of items to freshen these rooms and prepare them for our nonsmoking guests.

Reviewed 10 May 2013

This hotel has a great staff, everyone is very friendly and helpful and always insures your stay is pleasing. From check-in to check-out, they go the extra mile to see that the guests are happy and comfortable. I have definitely added this to my favortites in NYC.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Matthew B, thanks for your amazing review! We are very happy to know that we are a favorite of yours, and can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed 10 May 2013

Very comfortable hotel in a very good midtown location. Some great views of the Empire State if you're lucky. Staff are great, Judy at reception was wonderful. Decent midtown Manhattan hotels aren't cheap, but the price was comparable (in May) to some of the more run down hotels. Good brand, keep your eye on prices / breakfast deals before booking as they can change daily. Great hotel all in all.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you, alibarvas, for such a positive review, and for mentioning the service Judy and the rest of our staff provided! Your helpful tips are great for travelers not familiar with the New York market.