“The friendliest chain hotel in New York”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #318 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“The friendliest chain hotel in New York”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Possibly the most stunning aspect of this hotel for me is that on my second visit - more than six weeks apart from the last - the lady at the front desk actually remembered me. This has to be the friendliest hotel I've stayed at for a very long time in these parts.

The location is great, just a few minutes' walk from Penn Station. My only gripe is that the rooms can be on the small side, but in compensation they do have smoking rooms, which is a rarity in New York. However the other factors more than balance this out, and this has become my home in New York.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thank you, ThePrivacySurgeon, for your kind review of our hotel. It means a lot for a traveler to call us the friendliest chain hotel in New York! I do regret to inform you that we will no longer have smoking rooms as of June 17th. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Greek first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Enjoy the hotel. The staff were amazing and went over and above for everything. Location was great for our trip as we wanted to see the Empire State building, subway was very close and taxi was only $7 to time square. Rooms were small, but what can you expect from NYC. Rates were too high for the rooms. They wouldn't honor AAA rates at check in which was very disappointing. Billing error that I am trying to sort out. Seems we got charge for three rooms instead of two. One on the card that reserved and two on the card that was paying for the rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Michael M, thank you for your favorable comments and please accept my apology for the billing error. We are glad that you enjoyed the service and location. We work extra hard to provide friendly and efficient service given how expensive it is to stay in New York City.
San Leandro, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hotel floor was filthy. I had to ensure I walked in my shoes or slippers at all times otherwise the soles of my feet were left with a dark residue. Considering the elevated cost of the hotel, despite claims of affordability for the location, I would've expected at least a clean carpet. Additionally, the noise was another negative. Twice during our stay, someone tried to open our room door in the middle of the night. Moreover, the repeated slamming of doors was very audible in addition to the commencement of construction at 7am. This was evident especially to us since our room overlooked a construction zone property. The overall state of our room forced us to stay out as long as possible. We had no desire to return to the hotel room, which is a difficult concept to come to terms with considering the cost ($1,200 +). I would not stay here again. I'd rather pay more for a better experience elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Lance S
Lance S, please know that we are sorry you had a bad experience on your recent visit with us, and that we take reviews very seriously. Our Housekeeping staff has a regular schedule of carpet cleaning, and deep cleaning and has addressed these issues with the room you had on your visit. What you experienced is not indicative of the quality, or experience we strive for each and every one of our guests to have. I hope you will contact me at the hotel if there is anything at all we can do to consider staying with us again. Thank you so much for letting us know what happened, and for giving us an opportunity to address it.
Juaners
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Checked in on May 19th after an early morning flight- took two hours to get into the city, so my patience was at the limit.
Upon check-in, first impressions of the hotel lobby. Small, hard to see the HHonors sign and the young lady who checked us in seemed rushed. After a few minutes, I was given my room key and off I went.
Building is small (narrow) so I expected the rooms to be small and they were. Nicely decorated and clean, but the king bed took most of the room. This was fine for me, as I was traveling with co-workers and I had my own room but be forewarned that two people may feel cramped if you are here for longer than a couple of days.
Flat screen TV, small but well decorated bathroom- overall, I thought they did a good job considering the space limitation. You will definitely have the NY cramped quarters living experience.
The breakfast area is small, but turnover was quick. We had a group of 5 and they were able to accommodate us.
The area is great and you are close to several restaurants that are walking distance.
I would stay here again- clean rooms, efficient staff and the views are not obstructed by another building. Try to request a higher floor facing south.

Room Tip: try to request a higher floor facing south. You will have a view of Lower Manhattan. Great for busin...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
We are so glad you chose to stay with us, Juaners, on your business trip to New York City last month, and that you found the hotel to be ideally situated, nicely decorated, and clean. Even better that in a city with so many restaurant choices, that you had a good breakfast at our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!
Charlotte
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

The location of the hotel is convenient. You can walk to many places and restaurants and there s a subway station closely too.
The room was clean and the housekeeping service was never late.
The Internet connection didn't work well as they had some issues with the router on our floor.
Most of the staff was kind and helpfull except few limited exceptions.
The breakfast was nothing special and the service is slow, especially when the hotel is busy. My recommendation is to have breakfast somewhere outside. There's tons of options very close by.
The bar is incedibly expensive! $ 10 + tip for a beer ( bottle) is outrageous considering you can pay less for the same beer in bars of upscale hotels located in trendy places of the city.
Considering the hotel only has 2 elevators and during the "rush hours" you can easily wait 10-15 minutes ( if you are lucky) to get in it, I recommend you get a room at a lower floor so you can get in and out using the stairs.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Enrico2309
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Enrico2309, your candid review of our hotel is very much appreciated. We are glad you found the rooms to be clean and Housekeeping service to be right on time. We use comments such as yours to address operational concerns, and will work with our Restaurant staff to address your concerns. We hope you will give us another try on your next visit to the Big Apple!
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We were impressed with the service even before we arrived. Due to plane delay and what not, we had to correspond by phone with two different front desk staff, and both were courteous and to the point.

Check in was smooth, and the slightly warm cookie just hit the spot. Yes, room was small, but pretty much what we expected for NY price . Everything we needed was there..... enough towels ( 3 sizes), coffee machine with Wolfganag Puck brand coffee, camomile tea bags, nice crantree & Evelyn toiletries, ironing board, hairdryer, 32" LCD with HD resolution pics,two phones, efficient A/C unit. Easy wi fi connection.

The sound proof was indeed a problem, as we were disturbed numerous times when our neighbor just let the door slam , which was compounded by multiple others going into and out of that room. Seemed to be a case of few young couples occupying several rooms ( some women stayed next door, the men down the hall), visiting each other's rooms on a frequent basis. Whenever their door slammed, we felt the vibration too. A phone call down to front desk was met with empathy and we were reassured that a tactful call will be placed to our neighbor. We did observe one neighbor changed her behavior, but subsequently the visitors did not . I could also hear conversation in the hallway, but I have been forewarned by front desk upon check in.
As mentioned in an earlier post, two elevators serving 27 floors , when service personnel also using it, makes for a long wait most of the time. But we're in no hurry, so fine by us.

One bright spot was the discovery of a nearby cheap eat chinese restaurant called Golden City. It does delivery, but we went there as it's on 423 9 Ave, a mere 7 blocks away. It had a typical wide take out counter, along with 8 tables for 4 for those who prefer to sit and eat. The lady at the counter was most efficient ( she said she used to own her restaurant elsewhere, but now she's just an employee here. The way I see it, she's so caring it';s like it;s her place) and took care about our food allergies. You can ask for low salt, skip this and that ingredient, and she was happy to oblige.
Food was fresh and hot. I noticed several regulars that came in for take out, they had a nice chat with her. Items were unbelievably cheap,( see menu photo), yet what impressed me the most was the lady politely DECLINED tips! She said there was no service provided so tips was not deserved. Have never thought this would happen in NYC.

Hotel in the middle of a side street, so street noise is not an issue, but sirens can still be heard.
I would see service and pricing be this hotel's strong points.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
tak3, we appreciate very much your thorough and thoughtful review. Our team is very happy to know that you found the service to be impressive, and the arrival process to be smooth. We will work with our Engineering Staff to address the door closures you experienced on your visit, so that your next visit with us will be even better!
Vista, CA
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I stayed here on a recent trip to the national stationary show at Javits. I was late booking a hotel, but this turned out to be a pretty good find. Usually I try and stay closer to the theater district or the financial district but because the trade show was at Javits I ended up here. I did not use the subway at all near the hotel because I don't think any lines crossed near a point from the hotel to Javits, but Penn Station is 3 blocks away so had I needed it that would have been very convenient. The hotel was neat and clean, check-in was easy and the staff was friendly. I'll definitely stay here again. It was cheaper than a lot of the boutique hotels I have stayed in but pretty nice and great value. In the past I've stayed over at the Affinitia Dumont and at the MIllenium and felt like the Doubletree was great value.

Room Tip: I stayed on 10th floor and worked great. Elevators were a bit slow so maybe one closer to the groun...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
NoSleepSam, we certainly hope you got some good, and well deserved sleep while you were staying with us, and are very glad you found our hotel during the Stationary Show. We look forward to your next visit!