“Nothing Unique, nothing terrible”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #316 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Well...there IS one terrible thing. But more on that later. First the pluses: Location. Although a boring area of Chelsea, it's an easy stroll to more interesting bars, restaurants, etc. Room was clean, bed comfortable. I had the Penthouse with a terrace. Great view, 20 foot ceilings. Crap weather so the terrace wasn't used much, but on a summer evening - oh wow.

I did expect the "Penthouse" to be a bit more special. It's basically an enlarged standard room. Bland, no character, beige. Now for the terrible: The architect of this hotel must be the same one for all the midtown west hotels. He should be striped of his license. Two elevators serving 27 floors and all day the cleaning people are using them. Not their fault, but they slow it down tremendously. Add to that all the guests and basically you lose a lot of your life waiting. Painful.

Hilton: STOP building hotels this way!!!

Room Tip: The Penthouse is nice. Don't expect gorgeous, but the huge windows and the terrace make it a un...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank DAVID C
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

DAVID C, thank you for your candid review on TripAdvisor, and for booking our Penthouse for your recent stay. We are always looking for ways to upgrade our hotel, and upgraded furniture packages for our suites are being chosen now, and our Penthouse rooms will be looked at after those have been completed. We do apologize for your wait for the elevator, and hope that you will return to our hotel soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I always told the taxi driver from wherever I was to take me to "29th Street between 6th and 7th" and the trip is usually around ONE mile. That only says how central this location of the Doubletree is. It's within blocks to Penn Station, Madison Square Park, Flatiron, Empire State, and many many subway stations. I feel like it was a great value; I didn't pay midtown prices for this kind of central location.

The staff there was very accommodating. I booked a room with a king sized bed, but upon check-in I requested if I can upgrade to two double beds. Unfortunately, for my entire stay of 4 nights over Memorial day weekend, they said one of the nights weren't available. The next morning I got a call from the front desk saying there is a room with two doubles available and sent up someone with the keys to the new room. I call that great initiative and customer service.

We always left the room late in the morning, around 11am-12pm, and housekeeping still was able to come in and reset our beds and change our towels.

We were on the fifth floor facing the street; there was some street noise, but it's the city. It's expected for New York to be busy and noisy. The front desk offered earplugs if it bothered us but we didn't need it.

The rooms were average size in NYC and we comfortably fit four people. I didn't feel cramped in the room or bathroom.

The gym was sufficient. I had problems printing my boarding pass at the business center but I got the boarding pass on my mobile anyway.

At 310 calories each, cookies were worth it. We grabbed a couple every time we passed by the front desk haha.

Room Tip: Avoid floors with vending such as floors 2, 8, etc.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

mmvinnyt, we very much appreciate your 5 star review of our hotel, and your kind words regarding our initiative and customer service, not to mention the great value and location! We hope that we will see you again very soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Clean, friendly staff .... ice bucket not emptied, in-room coffee not routinely replenished, but room was nice with fluffy towels & a big screen TV. Most Hiltons have morning coffee available in lobby, but not this one. There may be a different standard in the NYC market, but I'll shop around more the next trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Jimmie L, thank you for your TripAdvisor review and for staying with us on your last visit to New York. We will review with our Housekeeping Staff the issues you experienced with your ice bucket and coffee. We do our best to be more than average and hope you will stay with us again so that we can show to you the level of service we typically provide.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

3rd time in Manhattan and this time we stayed in the Chelsea Area,

The close neighborhood is quiet at night.. not a lot to do around and in the street itself you'll only find some chinese stores and nothing luxury.. but at not time we found us in danger lol

Close to everything by foot as by metro...

at arriving we also got a nice warm cookie... always nice!
The breakfast is standard OK for the States.. nothing spectacular but enough choice...

The rooms are not that big but has everything you need, clean and bathroom is what you would expect... let's say that the 'online' pictures matches with the reality...

5th avenue is only 3 blocks away, Broadway is at 1block, times square is +-15 minutes walk, same to union square so for is location is Good!

its not the best ever.. but i'll recommend it to any one! no stress to have ;)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for staying with us, D-Feat, on your 3rd visit to New York. We are very happy to know that our location, and value made you feel comfortable to recommend our hotel. We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I've visited NY many times and I have stayed at different hotels each time. This one was a pleasant surprise! NY hotels can be a crap shoot and this one was a royal flush! The room was extremely clean, new and well kept, although small by usual standards it was large for The City. The staff was impeccable going out of their way at every turn, going so far as to remember our names every time we walked in or out. Close to several subway stations and restaurants too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Keri H, we are so glad to know you felt like you hit the jackpot staying with us, and we feel like winners considering you chose to stay with us! We hope that the clean rooms, and great service bring you back through our doors very soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

It was my first trip to NY & after a 17 hour flight - I just wanted to settle in & freshen up. When i got to the hotel the staff told me that the voucher I had cannot be authorized until the manager came in. I arrived at the hotel no later than 8am & the manager was only due to come in at 12pm. They then said that if there was a room available it would only be at 3pm. Days prior to me landing I also sent numerous emails asking for early check in, etc. & only got a response when I landed. I had no choice but to leave my luggage & valuables at the hotel & find my way around a city I have never been to. When I returned to the hotel later in the day - the manager told me that my hotel voucher was no good & on top of that he was plain down rude about it. I found the staff to be unfriendly & unhelpful. They also charged me a premium price for the room for the night. I checked out first thing the next morning. The rooms were also unimpressive & old fashioned.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

We are very sorry to hear about your disappointing experience, 146sapnan. Please know that we endeavor to provide the best service possible, and it sounds as if this situation was very unique. Because our hotel, and many in New York City run very high occupancies, early check-ins are often difficult and can not be guaranteed. I would like more information on what happened with your voucher so that we can resolve what happened. Please contact me directly at the hotel, and we apologize again for not being able to accommodate your request.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I recently stayed here for a week with friends and it was the perfect option for somewhere central to stay in Manhattan. A warm cookie was provided on arrival and the staff were friendly and helpful. The restaurant / bar was a good option for meals and the location was perfect - only a couple of blocks walk from Empire State and the Flatiron Building. I would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

NomadicKiwi1, we are very happy to know that you found our hotel to be in a great and central location for exploring the city, and that you will be returning! We look forward to seeing you again, and thank you for choosing our hotel!