“Good location, great service, small rooms”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #319 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked this hotel, because of its amazing location in Midtown, you simply cannot beat the location.

The service has been great throughout our 6 night stay at the hotel. Every staff member who stepped in the elevator consistently greeted us and made small talk. The reception team were always helpful in making recommendations.

The rooms are small. Which in any other city would be a huge point of content, but it seems that NYC follows different hotel-standards, so I will not complain. :-)

We had a room on the 25th floor (room 2502) which had truly amazing views of the Freedom Tower and Downtown. Can highly recommend requesting this room.

Wifi was bad, and signal was weak in the rooms, and the speed was slow.

Room Tip: Room 2502 has amazing views of the Freedom Tower and Downtown.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

We can't thank you enough for your 4 star review! Our team is happy to know you enjoyed the view from your room, our amazing location, and our helpful staff! We hope to see you on your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,139)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Convenient Location, clean and spacious rooms, with a commitment to excellence. The teamwork is exceptional here is my story.

I was a resent visitor to NYC, my daughter came to NYC to go to school, graduated and is making her home there now. I have stayed in different hotels in this area of Manhattan, and never had an experience so well rounded from the beginning to the end.

In February, I came to look for a hotel for our guests and myself to stay. I believe that I went into every hotel I could find between 35th and 22nd, 7th and 9th avenue. From the time I entered the Double Tree at Chelsea to the time I left that afternoon, people were smiling, and welcoming. This stood out that day and I remembered how well I was treated as I looked for a venue. I had no appointment, but sales staff helped me anyway.

When I came back, the next day my experience was the same. Welcoming attitudes, smiles and eye contact, if busy I was not ignored, but asked to wait a minute. They have a large room for groups. The attention paid to my questions and openness to be of service was exceptional.

There were many phone calls and emails back in forth, all were handled in a timely manner. We changed things a couple of times and I was very happy with how I was treated and the changes resolved. The webpage for their wedding block was also awesome.

The next communications I had were with the manager of the dinning room as we opted to use the solarium for our rehearsal dinner. Again communication was easy and quickly responded to with openness and suggestions for an exceptional experience, we were able to set up a dinner plan.

When I arrived in May, again staff from the sidewalk to the room was smiling, welcoming, and helpful.

I met with the manager of the dinning room all was on track and better than I had anticipated. The room was set up when we got there for diner, the manager and her staff got us all in our seats and worked patiently and worked incredibly hard to see that all the guests were welcomed and treated with exceptional care. Getting our orders and drinks, she stayed longer to support her staff. The meals were great, any problems (meaning 45 people in one room all ordering at the same time) were handled with precision and respect. The servers and cook staff were under the gun and did an outstanding job!

My family and I felt safe, welcomed, and relaxed from the time I first walked in, thank you for your commitment to excellence, it was evident.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much, KellyKatherman, for your 5 star review of our hotel! We are so happy to know that you found our staff to be welcoming and hard working! We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Nice location, small rooms, excellent staff, empire view room is not worth the additional costs. Only two elevators means slow trips during peak morning and evening times. Within walking distance of Megabus stop arrival and within walking distance of subway network

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review the hotel on TripAdvisor. We're glad to know you found the location convenient, and the staff excellent. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Perfectly decent hotel with generally friendly staff, pretty good fitness room, free & fast wifi throughout and reasonably modern and clean rooms. Mine, I believe, was a little more spacious than other standard queens as it was an 'accessible' room, and certainly by NYC standards it was spacious.

My issue with this hotel was its cheerless location. Technically it is Chelsea (which I believe has its' northern extreme at 31st street)...but only just. Especially at night, the area felt dark, deserted, dingy, and at tines dangerous especially when moving east along 29th. I turned east by mistake late one night and encountered a lot of homeless people setting up for the night.

I've visited NYC numerous times always staying in midtown manhattan and this was certainly the least desirable hotel I've stayed in location wise.

My only issue otherwise was the incredibly noisy extractor fan units in the rooms which most resemble a tractor engine. This was not unique to my room as I was also perfectly aware of anytime the people in my neighboring room used it too!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for reaching out to us via TripAdvisor. Please know that your safety and satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us, and we apologize if you felt in any way unsafe in our surroundings. We have shared your concerns with our staff who work diligently to protect our property, even as we are dedicated to ensuring your comfort. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit the city so we may better demonstrate the quality hospitality you expect and deserve. Our location is very convenient to Subways, Madison Square Garden, Herald Square, the Empire State Building and other attractions which are mere blocks away. As it is an area with some residential buildings, but more office buildings, it is much quieter at night than areas of the city closer to Times Square. We do apologize also for the air conditioning noise in the room and will address this with our Engineering team.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed here one night recently and was very pleasantly surprised. The location is extremely convenient. It's a short walk to Penn Station and quite close to several subways. We spent most of our time downtown this trip, and the proximity to where we were going made our stay more relaxing because we weren't spending a lot of time walking to the subway, on the subway, or switching trains. I don't usually stay near Penn Station, but I found the few blocks' walk especially convenient. No enduring the hassle of getting a cab there, or long walk struggling with luggage.

We were three people (good friends, admittedly)) in a room with two double beds, and the room and the bathroom were smallish, but I found it perfectly comfortable. Actually, I liked the room more than I thought I would based on TripAdvisor pictures. I liked the wallpaper in the bedroom and the tile in the bathroom and found the room attractive and cozy. We had a sunny window looking out on 29th Street. The bed was comfortable, the shower great, and the towels fluffy. Everything nice and clean. OK - the cookies were good, too.

Our friend had breakfast vouchers (a promotion, I believe), and that was a convenient bonus.

So, there are a few small negatives. Everyone seems to complain about the waits for the two elevators and it is true that it could be a bit of a wait at certain times. I think if you are aware of this, it's not a big inconvenience. If you're not on a high floor, you can also take the stairs which let you out just outside the entrance. One lady at the reception desk our first day was a bit on the rude side, but not a big deal. I got over it. Other staff we met in the hallways and elsewhere seemed very friendly and nice. OK, and it's not really Chelsea, more what used to be called the Garment District. But who cares? It's probably Chelsea in real estate speak, and still very convenient.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Elyn, thank you for staying with us and for your four star review. We are very glad we could exceed your expectations and that you enjoyed the room, and location! We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I've a great experience in this hotel. I was welcomed as an H Honor guest. Very near to time square and Empire State Building. The staff was superb, breakfast excellent, and rooms clean. A great choice in NY.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Our superb staff thanks you so much, nicole317, for your 5 star review, for being a Hilton Honors member, and for staying at our hotel!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The staff is like the Management they will bend over backwards with a smile to make sure you have a excellent stay a their guest. The Hotel also provides free wi-fi connection at no charge. They give the people with disabilities complimentary breakfast for each day of their stay. The staff even helps with directions to events, trains, restaurants, stores, and special locations that only New Yorkers would know about finding. The Bellman are excellent at flagging down cabs, carrying your bags, and general over all they work their butts off to make sure you are satisfied with their job. This is a Hotel you want to come back to whenever you visit the city of New York it gives you a feeling of safety but yet openness to venture out knowing you have a home to come back to with all the creature comforts and more than you could ask for in a what I WOULD SAY a 4 star HOTEL.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Willie Joe P, we can't thank you enough for your 5 star review of our hotel, and for your kind words. It means a lot to us that you felt at home at our hotel, especially since we try to do the little things that mean a lot to our guests!