“Nice hotel and great location! ”

Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City
Ranked #316 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed four nights last week, and we were pleased with our stay. The lobby is small which is definitely noticeable when the front desk is busy with guests. We had a king suite, and we found it on the smaller side for a suite. Not a big deal. The staff we encountered were all helpful. Cedric (bartender) was fun to talk with at the end of long days/nights of being out in NYC. We didn't encounter any elevator issues - guess we were lucky as we were on a higher floor. The hotel was very busy with guests for our entire stay, but we didn't have any issues.

The room was clean, quiet and definitely met our needs.

The location was great. The hotel isn't in the most glamorous of spots (middle of 29th between 6th and 7th - fairly nondescript), but it is very central. We walked to quite a few places throughout our stay. The proximity to Penn Station and other subway lines was great as well. This made it easy to hop on the subway and get to the places we wanted to go. I will say that we never felt uneasy or unsafe at any time with the location.

We would definitely consider returning to this hotel the next time we visit NYC.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

OldShep75, thank you so much for your 4 star review. We are glad that you found the location to be safe and convenient, and that the suite was suitable for your needs. Seddrick will be happy to know you enjoyed his service at the bar, and we all look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The rooms were a bit small, but well designed and clean, and a fair value for the money. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant. The location is close to Penn Station, which is convenient for us, and is also convenient for where we want to visit in NYC. We will stay here next time we visit the city.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

551melm, thank you so much for staying with us and for your 4 star review. We are incredibly happy to know you found our team accommodating and pleasant, and that you enjoyed the design and cleanliness of our rooms, as well as the hotel location. We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We booked this hotel, because of its amazing location in Midtown, you simply cannot beat the location.

The service has been great throughout our 6 night stay at the hotel. Every staff member who stepped in the elevator consistently greeted us and made small talk. The reception team were always helpful in making recommendations.

The rooms are small. Which in any other city would be a huge point of content, but it seems that NYC follows different hotel-standards, so I will not complain. :-)

We had a room on the 25th floor (room 2502) which had truly amazing views of the Freedom Tower and Downtown. Can highly recommend requesting this room.

Wifi was bad, and signal was weak in the rooms, and the speed was slow.

Room Tip: Room 2502 has amazing views of the Freedom Tower and Downtown.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We can't thank you enough for your 4 star review! Our team is happy to know you enjoyed the view from your room, our amazing location, and our helpful staff! We hope to see you on your next visit.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Convenient Location, clean and spacious rooms, with a commitment to excellence. The teamwork is exceptional here is my story.

I was a resent visitor to NYC, my daughter came to NYC to go to school, graduated and is making her home there now. I have stayed in different hotels in this area of Manhattan, and never had an experience so well rounded from the beginning to the end.

In February, I came to look for a hotel for our guests and myself to stay. I believe that I went into every hotel I could find between 35th and 22nd, 7th and 9th avenue. From the time I entered the Double Tree at Chelsea to the time I left that afternoon, people were smiling, and welcoming. This stood out that day and I remembered how well I was treated as I looked for a venue. I had no appointment, but sales staff helped me anyway.

When I came back, the next day my experience was the same. Welcoming attitudes, smiles and eye contact, if busy I was not ignored, but asked to wait a minute. They have a large room for groups. The attention paid to my questions and openness to be of service was exceptional.

There were many phone calls and emails back in forth, all were handled in a timely manner. We changed things a couple of times and I was very happy with how I was treated and the changes resolved. The webpage for their wedding block was also awesome.

The next communications I had were with the manager of the dinning room as we opted to use the solarium for our rehearsal dinner. Again communication was easy and quickly responded to with openness and suggestions for an exceptional experience, we were able to set up a dinner plan.

When I arrived in May, again staff from the sidewalk to the room was smiling, welcoming, and helpful.

I met with the manager of the dinning room all was on track and better than I had anticipated. The room was set up when we got there for diner, the manager and her staff got us all in our seats and worked patiently and worked incredibly hard to see that all the guests were welcomed and treated with exceptional care. Getting our orders and drinks, she stayed longer to support her staff. The meals were great, any problems (meaning 45 people in one room all ordering at the same time) were handled with precision and respect. The servers and cook staff were under the gun and did an outstanding job!

My family and I felt safe, welcomed, and relaxed from the time I first walked in, thank you for your commitment to excellence, it was evident.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much, KellyKatherman, for your 5 star review of our hotel! We are so happy to know that you found our staff to be welcoming and hard working! We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our hotel!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Nice location, small rooms, excellent staff, empire view room is not worth the additional costs. Only two elevators means slow trips during peak morning and evening times. Within walking distance of Megabus stop arrival and within walking distance of subway network

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review the hotel on TripAdvisor. We're glad to know you found the location convenient, and the staff excellent. We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Perfectly decent hotel with generally friendly staff, pretty good fitness room, free & fast wifi throughout and reasonably modern and clean rooms. Mine, I believe, was a little more spacious than other standard queens as it was an 'accessible' room, and certainly by NYC standards it was spacious.

My issue with this hotel was its cheerless location. Technically it is Chelsea (which I believe has its' northern extreme at 31st street)...but only just. Especially at night, the area felt dark, deserted, dingy, and at tines dangerous especially when moving east along 29th. I turned east by mistake late one night and encountered a lot of homeless people setting up for the night.

I've visited NYC numerous times always staying in midtown manhattan and this was certainly the least desirable hotel I've stayed in location wise.

My only issue otherwise was the incredibly noisy extractor fan units in the rooms which most resemble a tractor engine. This was not unique to my room as I was also perfectly aware of anytime the people in my neighboring room used it too!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for reaching out to us via TripAdvisor. Please know that your safety and satisfaction are of the utmost importance to us, and we apologize if you felt in any way unsafe in our surroundings. We have shared your concerns with our staff who work diligently to protect our property, even as we are dedicated to ensuring your comfort. We hope you will consider staying with us again the next time you visit the city so we may better demonstrate the quality hospitality you expect and deserve. Our location is very convenient to Subways, Madison Square Garden, Herald Square, the Empire State Building and other attractions which are mere blocks away. As it is an area with some residential buildings, but more office buildings, it is much quieter at night than areas of the city closer to Times Square. We do apologize also for the air conditioning noise in the room and will address this with our Engineering team.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed here one night recently and was very pleasantly surprised. The location is extremely convenient. It's a short walk to Penn Station and quite close to several subways. We spent most of our time downtown this trip, and the proximity to where we were going made our stay more relaxing because we weren't spending a lot of time walking to the subway, on the subway, or switching trains. I don't usually stay near Penn Station, but I found the few blocks' walk especially convenient. No enduring the hassle of getting a cab there, or long walk struggling with luggage.

We were three people (good friends, admittedly)) in a room with two double beds, and the room and the bathroom were smallish, but I found it perfectly comfortable. Actually, I liked the room more than I thought I would based on TripAdvisor pictures. I liked the wallpaper in the bedroom and the tile in the bathroom and found the room attractive and cozy. We had a sunny window looking out on 29th Street. The bed was comfortable, the shower great, and the towels fluffy. Everything nice and clean. OK - the cookies were good, too.

Our friend had breakfast vouchers (a promotion, I believe), and that was a convenient bonus.

So, there are a few small negatives. Everyone seems to complain about the waits for the two elevators and it is true that it could be a bit of a wait at certain times. I think if you are aware of this, it's not a big inconvenience. If you're not on a high floor, you can also take the stairs which let you out just outside the entrance. One lady at the reception desk our first day was a bit on the rude side, but not a big deal. I got over it. Other staff we met in the hallways and elsewhere seemed very friendly and nice. OK, and it's not really Chelsea, more what used to be called the Garment District. But who cares? It's probably Chelsea in real estate speak, and still very convenient.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Elyn, thank you for staying with us and for your four star review. We are very glad we could exceed your expectations and that you enjoyed the room, and location! We hope to see you again very soon!