“Winning the Lottery”

Ranked #318 of 467 Hotels in New York City
International Traveler
“Winning the Lottery”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked this hotel and couldn't believe that I had gotten some semblance of a great price for NYC. When I got to the hotel, like most places in NYC, it was in a dark & dingy area that left a lot to be desired. The check-in staff was extremely friendly and made things very smooth for the anticipated stay. However, that's where it ended. Here are two general comments before I go into the lists: the service staff at breakfast was extremely rude and unhelpful, and the checkout staff was just as bad (with a negative attitude).

Pros:
+ Good location close by to Penn Station and easy enough to walk with a small suitcase
+ Easy access to cabs close by
+ Great shopping with Macy's, Victoria Secrets, Uniqlo, and even some K-Town restaurants within a 3-minute walk East
+ Very welcoming check-in staff which is normally unusual for NYC

Cons:
- Poor restaurant staff who didn't want to seat me, or provide me with any meal
- Poor checkout staff who thought they were doing me a favor even when there was no disputed charges or anything
- Dark & dingy rooms, just like W28th street which the hotel is on
- The room appeared dirty, but that could have been the optics of the lighting, etc.
- Awful soap and amenities; I should have rather bought some at the local Duane Reade

I was excited when I checked into the hotel and was looking forward to the room and the rest of the stay. Unfortunately, that's where it ended. It would take only a little bit of effort for the hotel to upgrade itself, and I hope it does so, because it could easily have been better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ARK_Travelers
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, 24 November 2014
Thank you for submitting your experience. Your feedback is truly important to us because it helps us to realize both our strengths and weaknesses from our guests' point of view. I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations throughout your stay. We strive to provide the quality hospitality you expect from our brand and regret this was not your experience. We will keep your concerns in mind as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' needs and hope you will give us another opportunity to impress should you return to the city in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Greek first
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed at this location because of its close proximity to Penn Station, as I had to catch a 7 a.m. train the next morning. I stayed on a Tuesday night, and when I checked in late afternoon as a Hilton HHonors member, I was curiously given a room on the 2nd floor. I arrived at my room I noted that it was at the front of the hotel. I went to dinner and when I arrived back at the hotel I noticed that all of the vacuum cleaners from all of the different floors (they were labeled) were lined up in the hallway next to my room, which I found odd. I did some work and went to bed, and was jarred shortly after midnight by the loud noises of trash trucks. The front desk, in their infinite wisdom, had placed me on the 2nd floor next to where trash is picked up on trash pickup night! The incredibly loud noise went on for what must have been an hour, possibly more. It finally stopped and there was quiet for about 15 minutes, when the staff decided that it was vacuum cleaner inventory time, or vacuum cleaner racing time, one of the two, and proceeded to bang around in the hallway for the next two hours. All the while the room was hot and I couldn't seem to change the setting to anything but hot. Finally at 4:00 a.m., after not sleeping a wink and having developed a terrible migrane, I decided to cut my losses, get ready, and catch a 5 a.m. train home. Why the staff thought it was appropriate to place a guest so close to where trash was picked up on trash pickup night, when the hotel did not seem to be full, and also do whatever it was they were doing with all of the vacuum cleaners in the middle of the night, will continue to puzzle me. I will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the hotel on Tuesday nights!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ndb4g
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea - New York City, responded to this review, 23 January 2015
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our service and apologize for the noise issues you encountered. We understand the importance of rest while traveling and we will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience moving forward. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.
Marietta, United States
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice. It is convenient to Penn Station, affordable dining and it had a great view of the Empire State Building. If you like to walk it is not bad to get to the theater district and shopping - which we did. They held our bags for our last day after checkout so we could shop and have some more fun

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

cleveland, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This hotel has a great location in a great NYC neighborhood. Close to restaurants, shops, and great attractions like The High Line. An experienced, courteous staff will make you feel at home. Although the rooms are on the small size (almost European-like)they are very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Great choice for a weekend trip in NYC! Hotel was comfortable but we didn't like their pillows. Friendly staff and concierge were helpful. Nice street level outdoor sitting area. The hotel location is convenient to major attractions like Madison Square Garden, Times Square and great shopping. Subways stops convenient for your ease of getting Uptown and/or Downtown. I would recommend you eat at The Stage Door (33rdSt/8thAv.) for breakfast. Skip the hotel restaurant because there are plenty of places to eat in the area. Will return to the hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 14th are quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had a great stay in the doubletree in new york…the staff was very friendly. Almost all of our linens had spots on them, but I didn't get the feeling that they were dirty…just old stains. The location was fabulous and we enjoyed our stay. Thanks.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2014

had a nice room on a high floor with a view of the empire state building. the bed was comfortable, me and my boyfriend slept like little babies! the breakfast was amazing! had a little bit of everything! would deferentially stay there again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple