“Standard is Fun, But Know Before You Go”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #157 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My wife and I had a great time at the Standard. Warning: if you read the reviews, you'll see that a lot of people are disappointed by the Standard, either because they find the staff snobby or because the place is over-run with people looking to party. Neither of these things should come as a surprise to anyone, based on the location of the hotel and the bars connected to it and surrounding it.

Here's my experience: I showed up super early and was able to check in around 12:00 p.m. Our room was on the 12th floor, toward the end of the hall and facing uptown. The room was a good size, had a HUGE window overlooking the Highline and the Empire State Building. Nice flat screen TV, queen bed, glassed in shower (my wife noted that if you are not traveling with a very close companion, this may be a little awkward) and separate toilet. There was also a surprising amount of storage.

We have eaten in the restaurant and have had a drink in the beer garden, so we didn't do that this time, but we enjoyed both in the past. The bar on the top floor is pretty incredible. (The closest thing I can compare it to is the view from Mix at the top of Mandalay Bay in Vegas.) It's definitely over the top, but again, that's to be expected. Don't go looking for friendly and attentive service, it's just not that kind of place. But the views are incredible and just being in there makes you feel like a rockstar.

We did venture up to the rooftop deck for a bit. Wow. Holy fratastic spring-fling. There were drunken people laying all over the place (oh, to be 23 again). Needless to say, we didn't hang around there much, but it's there if you want it.

I found the front desk staff to be pretty professional. They definitely give off a vibe that they're not to be bothered, but once you see through that, they're pretty good about getting you checked in/out and telling you about the hotel. The bell staff was pretty good as well. The first guy took our luggage for storage, noted the time we needed a cab and was very helpful. The second basically loaded our luggage in the cab.

In sum, if I had spent $400 or $500 I would probably have expected a little more. (We got a great deal, $250, through Jetsetter.) This is not a Ritz, Four Seasons or the like, and you shouldn't expect that kind of quality or level of service. But if you want to have a good time in a great neighborhood with some really cool views, there probably isn't a better place.

1  Thank mgustafs

Reviewed 22 July 2011

this was my 3rd time staying at the Standard in the Meat Packing District -- another exceptionally good stay. Upon learning that my room was not yet ready when I arrived, I was kindly ushered into the lounge, offered drinks, snacks, and a comfortable place to relax while I waited. I continue to find service at the Standard to be very polished and highly consistent. Love the vibe there, and the floor-to-ceiling views of the water weren't bad either.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BostonBizTrav
Reviewed 20 July 2011

While my fiancé and I live in New York, I wanted to do something extra special for his milestone birthday, what better place than The Standard. I booked a magnificent Hudson studio room through Paul at guest services. He was incredibly helpful, showed me the room, and made sure it made for a great surprise to my fiancé.

The Hudson studio room is by far the best room. It’s spacious and has magnificent 180 degree views facing the Hudson. Even though I live on the west side, the views from the 8th floor couldn't have been better (the sunset!). The room also features an x-large stand alone tub that made for a nice way to relax after the long night of partying. There is a nice l shaped sofa/ seating that came in great when some of my fiancé’s friends came to the room to drink a little bubble. As always, be aware that the windows are not tinted and people on the Hudson River walkway or the High Line can see in. The curtains work great too. Oh not to mention the toilet room has great but very public views.

We didn't make it to the club on the roof top but we did enjoy a night cap downstairs. I was a little disappointed they couldn't put a candle in the dessert we ordered but in all; it was a very memorable birthday surprise (I can't wait for mine!)

Thank you The Standard and Paul for making it so special!

Room Tip: View views and more views, not to mention to tub in the Hudson Studio
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeanl0
Reviewed 18 July 2011

OMFG. After four nights at The Gansevoort this is exactly what I needed.

Calm, beautiful, glamorous, incredible service, amazing food, impeccable interiors and the softest sheets and comfiest bed that ever existed.

yum

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This is such a sensational hotel...the location is just insanely good. So many of the best bars, restaurants and clubs in NYC are just around the corner!

The views are extraordinary.

My only negative comment is the 2 bars (one indoor, one outdoor) on the top floor of the hotel are too prententious. It was very difficult to get into the outdoor rooftop bar - couldn't get in the first day, then the 2nd I had to go outside to get a stamp, and was almost refused entry b/c my name wasn't on the guest list...which I didn't know about. But...overall I would still recommend this hotel, and will definitely stay there next time I'm back in NY.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Fionanmcl
Reviewed 17 July 2011

The Standard New York must be THE place to be in NYC right now, considering the permanent crowd hanging out everywhere - the Standard Grill, the Biergarten, the Top Bar, Le Bain...
We stayed in an Empire Corner Room, with floor to ceiling windows and views of the city and of the Highline. The room is smartly furnished - very scandinavian - and quite comfortable. We would recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway.

Reviewed 16 July 2011

To be fair, the hotel aesthetically is very special, the lobby is nice, the pathway to the elevators (and the elevators) are really cool, and the rooms are very small but very nicely furnished...

BUT...

How can it be possible that the guests of the hotel CANNOT access the rooftop bar, which was one of the reasons we choosed this hotel for spending our first night in NYC. After spending close to 1 hour on the line, the bouncer asks us "who invited us?" and when we reply that we are guests of the hotel, who just flew in, he says "sorry but this bar is private after 10 PM".

That is nonsense after paying 300 USD for the night.

I will never return to this hotel. Thank God that we booked the rest of our stay in NYC at the W.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Thank you for your comments, and I am sorry to hear of your experience concerning the Top of The Standard. While this space is a private area after 10pm, we want our guests to experience the amazing views and stunning space we offer. This area is open for Sunset Service Monday– Friday from 4:00pm until 11:00pm (last call at 10:30pm), and on Saturday and Sunday from 2pm until 11pm (last call at 10:30pm) until our re-opening in September. I hope that you will come back to visit us in the near future, and I am happy to help in setting up a table for you during this timeframe on our 18th Floor.

Kind Regards,