“Great staff, great spot...but the elevators are a pain.”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #153 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I recently stayed at the hotel. Upon arrival I was blown away by the amount of people milling about outside the hotel, the ridiculous amount of tables out side the hotel entrance made getting to the door difficult. From here though my experience at the hotel was unforgettable and I can't not wait to be back. This experience was due to two reasons. first, the beds! Easily The most comfortable and luxurious I have ever slept in. Secondly the staff particularity one of the conciererges Jesse. From our arrival Jesse made our stay an unforgettable one, he arranged reservations and great tables at some awesome restaurants, even planned a whole day of activities for us. I was blown away by his knowledge of the whole city. He was personable, efficient and very professional. And I thank him and the other front desk staff for such a wonderful experience. I see that many people comment about the hotel, I think it's peerfect for people of ages as long as they are willing to except that it's a very active hotel and a lot of people who take up the staffs time arent actually guests. One big downfall of the hotel is the lifts thursdsy , fri, sat and Sunday nights the lifts a filled with people goin up to the roof and drunk coming down, as a guest I found it frustrating having to share busy lifts and wait for a long time on my floor to get one. But overall amazing hotel, great views, great staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ImabigNJ
Write a ReviewReviews (2,978)

Reviewed 14 August 2011

I am tempted to write a review of The Standard Hotel New York for it's design and how the glass-slab building elegantly mediates old and new in the same manner as it responds to the high line- It floats above seamlessly. Or how the scale and variety of social spaces from the living room, grill, biergarten, le bain, etc are unmatched by any hotel or combination of hotels in the city... However, I feel compelled to write about the staff of the hotel and how they float above.

It is evident that the hotel's staff are true "New Yorkers". They are young aspiring designers, artists, and future hospitality royalty, and are fully embedded in the best the creative New York has to offer. The front desk and charming concierge (Jesse, I believe) were extremely helpful with my stay and affording me the highest rate of repose. In addition, and more importantly, they were able to curate my itinerary so I too was able to become fully embedded in the creative and "authentic" side of the city as if I were a local (if only for a couple days). I cannot thank the staff enough for their hospitality, knowledge and consideration!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank jpw2132
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This was a fun hotel to stay given the location and the ambience however don't expect great service. The people at the front desk were less than accommodating and although room service was speedy the servers were somewhat rude. Service in the lounge downstairs is very slow. However my biggest concern was not having clean sheets and having to call twice to bring me fresh clean linens.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

Thanks for your comments. I'm sorry to hear of your impression of the service you experienced, we take great care in selecting our staff and aim to have each guest leave with an amazing experience. We will share your comments with the team to improve our timeliness and responsiveness! Thanks for letting me now about the sheets –this absolutely should never happen and I will look into why this was the case during your stay.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Regards,
David Lemmond

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Lovely location with great views of NYC and very modern rooms I was really looking forward to my stay. Sadly the service was very poor. Staff looked down on guests and were very snobby and were more interested in helping the gorgeous guests than Joe public. When we asked to extend our check out we were told the hotel couldn't as it was fully booked but when we checked online they had availability.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Justinlsmith
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2011

Thanks for your comments, and I’m glad you chose The Standard for your time in NYC! I appreciate you letting me know of your impression during this stay. We aim to present every guest with the top level of service, and I am speaking with our staff to determine why you feel this was not the case. Also, while we have been at high occupancies lately, we certainly do allow extensions as long as they are available.

Thanks again for choosing us, and please let me know how I can help personally with any questions or concerns.

Regards,

David Lemmond

Reviewed 4 August 2011

This hotel is amazing! Simply put, the views are senational, the location superb, the roof top bar breath taking. You could not ask for more from a NY hotel atypical of the meatpacking district.
That said, it is a hotel for a particular group of people. I would not recommend for people with young children, people wanting a quiet break or not interested in the NY night life.
It has a popular rooftop bar/ nightclub with a specific door policy. Music from the bar can be heard in levels below (we were 3 levels below) although we were not troubled by it.
It is super busy from midday till late because of this, as is the ground floor bar and restaurant area which provided a great vibe.
The service is typical NYC. We were intially surprised by some of the aloofness of the staff but accept this was no different to anywhere else in NY after we had spent some time in the city. Sure some were better than others, (thanks to Jessie in the Concierge) and some were down right rude in that they just totally ignore you, but this can be expected anywhere and should not influence your decision to stay here.
Despite having a larger room, they are quite small and basic. The bed was amazingly comfortable - you could almost just lie in it all day and stare at the Hudson if there wasn't so much to do. Yes it is pricer than others available, but certainly worth it for the views alone. Try exercising in the amazingly equipped gym with 180o city views! hard to concentrate on exercise.
We definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again.
Warning - be aware of the taxes you have to pay in NYC. We did not reserach this before hand and found after a week, it cost us an additional $500 on our accommdation bill which would have certainly influenced decisions we made on expenditure.

Room Tip: Either side of this hotel is amazing, just try for a room between floors 8-15 for best views.
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Service was impeccable. Everyone was really helpful, friendly AND happy, which always makes or breaks the service experience. Great rooms, funky, modern and great location! In a midst all the happenings, you can really feel the energy from the meatpacking district. Easily best hotel i've stayed in... an all rounder!

Reviewed 1 August 2011

The Standard is built literally above the High Line, that very smart piece of urban landscape.
So you get to watch people, at your feet, stroll the High Line. You get to watch the water traffic on the Hudson, a block to the west, and you get to see all of lower Manhattan as well as the Statue of Liberty. (a south facing 16th floor room)
Service; attentive. We forgot the room safe combination and called for help. Within a few minutes someone came to open it up.
Immaculate, comfortable. Slightly quirky in a very popular area of Manhattan. Fun, wonderful hotel. Young and hip, but a place all will feel comfortable and welcome.