“Great location, cool bar, but lousy overall experience”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #142 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Great location, cool bar, but lousy overall experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I picked the hotel because of its location and appearance from the outside. I previously stayed at the Gansevoort hotel nearby, and thought that this would be a better alternative. The lobby is cool, and checkin was quick and friendly (not as pretentious like the average W hotel). The rooms are very small, but this isn't a problem due to a clever layout, big windows, lighting, and mirrors. The design reminds me a bit of a youth hostel, however if you have enough of over designed hotels, then it's is refreshingly simple and functional. The first room (1509) had a very loud ventilation, however the second room (1701) was even worse. Since it was windy outside, somehow some flaps in the ventilation system made a loud hammering noise that prevented me from sleeping. Was too tired to change it again. I had dinner at the Standard Grill (my second visit, just ok as they barbecued the scallops without any spices or seasoning, the worst scallops in a long time, and the most expensive, too). The bar at the 18th floor is phantastic, cool design, good crowd, great view. Since I left at 6:00 am next morning I placed an order for room service breakfast at 5:00. I was informed that room service won't start until 6:00, despite being told at checkin that they have 24 hour room service. They finally agreed that they could only do an omelette with a filling different to what I ordered (god knows why), however finally delivered the omelette I had originally ordered. The coffee was on the house for the trouble caused (however without spoon to stir the sugar). Still better choice than the Gansevoort, but wouldn't return.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank GermanWorldTraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

this just proves that no hotel is safe from these pests. The view looking at NJ is great if your really into panoramic views of the Garden State. Its also really trendy and cool but the bed bugs are a deal breaker. I hope this was just an isolated incident. The location is also super trendy but it really isn't near any major business places i needed to be.

Room Tip: close your curtains are people can see your night activities. Some one in the bar told me they catch...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
12 Thank j m
lemmondd, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thanks for your comments, and I want to stress how seriously we are taking your post. While I am happy to say we’ve never had a confirmed case of bedbugs at The Standard, we take extreme care in both prevention and, if there is even a hint of any issue, the most thorough investigation. Our Housekeeping and Hotel Management teams have been alerted of your response here, and have responded accordingly.

We have no record of any report from you on this, when we would be only too happy to help in investigating the issue upon hearing about such an incident from one of our guests. Please feel free to contact me with any information as I am interested to hear of your experience.

With Kind Regards,

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Nice hotel. Clean and friendly staff. Pricey hotel food...but it is NY. It definately was trendy...possibly a little too trendy for me.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

There are so many other options in the city that provide a much more satisfying stay that I will NOT be staying here again.

Location: Great

Room: (the good) Terrific floor to ceiling windows with great views. Comfy bed. (the Bad) Bathroom smelled of urine, Glass shower is completely open to the room (no option even for a privacy curtain) and room smelled strongly 'perfumed/deodorized'(?). Some other details within the room left something to be desired (concept seems to have won over functionality).

Service: Concierge/Desk staff described in another review as 'complacent'...I would agree. Neither helpful nor hospitable. The other staff was better though.

Rooftop lounge: Fantastic panoramic views (IF you can get in). Some of you will want to note it is only open to 'regular folks' until a certain hour. Later in the evening it is 'by list only'... i.e. NOT OPEN TO PAYING HOTEL GUESTS which is ludicrous, exclusionary against the hotel's patrons and, on principle alone, enough for me to book elsewhere next time.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank EastCoastGal202
Thanks for your comments. The offered state of our rooms is of great concern at the Standard, having all areas first cleaned, inspected, and then inspected again prior to any guest arrival. I have to admit I am surprised by your experience. I’ve spoken with our Housekeeping team to see why a guest of ours would leave with such an impression, as this is clearly unacceptable.

Apologies on any confusion with The Top of The Standard. While this is a private space in the late evenings, we do invite all of our guests to visit us for Sunset Service from 4pm to 9:30pm, Tuesday through Saturday. The views are amazing! We would enjoy welcoming you back with us soon, and please let me know how I can be of help in arranging this.

Kind Regards,

Charlottesville, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Absolutely loved our three day stay in this hotel. The Queen Superior room is still quite small. No hook to hung your coat or luggage rack for your suitcase. Internet is “complimentary” but never works. You can pay $19.95 a day and get faster working wireless. The views are spectacular. And location is great. Don't miss the bar on top of the hotel. Expensive but worth every penny.

Room Tip: Ask for room on higher floor for added privacy. On lower floor people can really see inside of your...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ivy148
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed three nights with friends and we loved it. Will stay again i feb 2012.
We loved the location, the staff, the lobby bar, breakfast at Standard Grill and of course Boom Boom for sunset. If you are lucky you might even see Boom Boom late at night - but it's difficult to get past the bouncers... We did and had the best evening in a long time.

Room Tip: At first you might think that the city view is the thing but next time we will try the Hudson view...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrHB
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

I was never in such a small room, beds are very small and you are not allow to get into some of the bars/clubs of the hotel unless you are register. Honestly a big deception.

Room Tip: Standars rooms are really really small
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
9 Thank jaime m
Thanks for your comments. While I am sorry to read your post, I would be interested in speaking with you on some specifics. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience and I would be happy to discuss why you feel your stay with us was a “mistake.” We’d love for you to give us another try!

Kind Regards,