“NYC Staycation”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #153 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My family and I have stayed at The Standard High Line twice now, even though we actually live down the road! Both times we needed a "staycation" and on both occasions we found it to be a lovely experience. The rooms are beautifully designed and the view is incredible from any floor. I always try to stay at an Andre Balazs hotel if there is one in town because I know the service and design is going to be great. The Standard was no exception and we were particularly impressed with Joseph Tighe on the front desk as he took care of us so well during both our stays, making sure everything was perfect. Highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Alice E
Write a ReviewReviews (2,922)

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I've stayed at The Standard 3 times so far as a staycation for my boyfriend and I. We both lead busy lives in NYC and need to get away sometimes...and The Standard provides a sexy, fun escape from the norm. I booked the Hudson Studio this time for my boyfriend's birthday because I wanted an extra special experience. I was floored by the 3 walls of windows and the clean, contemporary decor. Watching the sunset over the Hudson was priceless.
The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The woman who checked us in was warm and welcoming...and they jumped up to help me find a cab in the morning at 6am to get to work. They even sent us a complimentary bottle of champagne and some fruit to make sure our experience was special. They even checked in on me after my stay to make sure I was satisfied with my stay. The level of warmness and care provided by the staff is rare to find these days...especially in NYC!!! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking to treat themselves to an elegant, alluring night in the city!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views of the Hudson...really worth it!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Reading many reviews on here...i was slightly daunted by my upcoming stay at The Standard but thankfully the entire experience was good for us! I travelled with my husband for his birthday, I emailed beforehand to ask about special touches I could put in the room for arrival and was promptly sent a list of items I could pre-pay for & the restaurant also contacted me right away to ask if I wanted to make Fri/Sat night reservations. Good service! On arrival, we were warmly greeted by door staff and again at reception (I need to know where those reception ladies get their bras!!) lobby was stylish, buzzing, and checkin was prompt. Bags were escorted with us to our amazing room...we were both blown away by the view!! We booked a superior king room with empire view. The porter / door staff both brought our cases & showed us all of the room amenities which was nice. The bed was comfy, room an ok size for NYC, shower amazing (we are newlyweds so a see-through shower was fine!!) very well stocked minibar and welcome blackout curtains to make sure we got a decent sleep through sunrise.
We arrived back to our room after a meal later that night to a lovely complimentary bottle of prosecco and a happy birthday note from the management! Very nice :-)
We had heard issues with the rooftop bars so we decided to avoid to make sure we left The Standard on a high. We ate breakfast in the Grill one morning & found the food and service great - only issue is tables very very close together! We never once experienced issues with elevator queues & we stayed Thurs - Sun.

Tips: We ate at local restaurant The Spice Market and it was lovely!! Also The Diner is great for breakfast & the highline is a lovely walk.

Enjoy x

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elektrogirl
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I love this place. I love the rooms, they are clean, beautifully and intelligently styled, the views are magical, location is wonderful, food is just as good as a hotel food service should be. Prices are okay, and cheaper in the office season.

But the service just [anger word] sucks! Again and again and again the service sucked on a two day trip.

- greeters / maitres-d: why are these people so digustingly sour? seriously who do they think they are. When you want a table they look at you like you are disrupting their spa therapy, what total idiocy. Just give me a freaking table and stop acting like a fool.
- breakfast: had to ask three times for milk, twice reminded orange juice order, no spoon for tea, two servers not-coordinating, just annoying.
- reception: almost always empty, and never welcoming. so pathetic. six terminals and usually no more than two people on service. At one point, I stood looking in horror at a reception that for a some horrifying minutes had not a single soul at front of house. I don't remember a hotel in the world where there was no-one at reception.
- terrace bar: again, no-one giving me a table, no-one noticing I wanted to order when I had a table, and then when a party of 5 grew to 8, being told we couldn't expand the table (fire regs? what rubbish, there was no clear access already, and we could have arranged tables to ensure it).
- elevators: this BS makes me want to scream. what is going on with all these non-hotel guests crashing the elevators in the evening? when you come back tired, wanting to get to your room, you have to navigate all that horror. stop it immediately. And the staff, using the guest elevators for luggage, waste, housecleaning, whatever. This is a clownshow. Get it sorted. AND ENOUGH WITH THE BROKEN ELEVATORS.
- guest priority: when I wake up on Sunday in your hotel I want breakfast. Is that some kind of surprise? so why do I have to wait in a huge queue of non-hotel guests for the privilege of eating in my own hotel, not to mention navigating the wall of sour that the greeters desk represents.

And please, I've read your replies here. You sound like you listen, but never offer to actually look into anything. Try and fix this stuff. Its the second time I stayed, and the problems are the same. Please fix, or it's one more try then I'm out. Thanks.

Room Tip: Liberty rooms are South Facing, more river, more High Line, Empire Rooms are North facing, more city...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank jmanooch
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed at The Standard twice, once in the (pricey) Empire Suite, which we used for an after party following our 25th anniversary. This is a modern, well appointed space with great rooms and the Meat Packing district is becoming quite (if not too) fashionable. If you haven't walked the High Line (an abandoned rail line turned into an elevated park) this is highly recommended (despite a few cranky detractors) and it is free! The bar at the top of the hotel is gorgeous but turns into a private club late (it would be nice for hotel guests to have access but I guess we are not (too) fashionable enough. Both times upon check in I found the hotel staff to be a bit condescending, I don't think a smile or a polite "yes sir" would do them any harm. There is valet parking which is great at checking in but you want your vehicle you'd better give them thirty minutes notice because I think they garage the cars in Queens (I'm not kidding). All in all this is a great base of operations for a stay in Manhattan especially for pleasure seekers or sight seers.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My husband and I stayed for a one night "staycation" in our own city and had a great time. Service is great - everyone was very friendly and welcoming, and they kindly gave us a free upgrade to a nicer room (booked via Jetsetter). The views and room decor are fantastic - I want my apartment to look like that room. The room was much quieter than I would have expected, which was especially appreciated after hours when the neighborhood gets a bit obnoxious. Not the best hotel bed I've ever experienced, but fine for a night or two. Good coffee and people watching during a relaxing breakfast at patio restaurant in the morning. It's expensive, but the details and experience are worth the splurge (and there are very often deals to be found ....).

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Good things:
- Perfect location, super close to a very hip area full of clubs, restaurants, shopping, Chelsea Market...
- Beautifully designed big room (I had the corner room)
- Concierge and staff were great
- Rooftop is gorgeous, especially on a sunny afternoon

Could be better:
- no curtains for the showers... so zero privacy if staying with a partner, and water splashes everywhere!

Room Tip: The corner room is breathtaking, with gorgeous views and big size, far from the elevator, so quiet a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple