“Great location and views.”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #146 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dublin, Ireland
“Great location and views.”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The upside: Great location, cool views, especially from cocktail bar

The Downside: trying to sleep with noise from niteclub which as a resident I think you should NOT have to queue up in the freezing cold for, nor should you be asked for I.D. when clearly over 25 and resident in the hotel. We weren't asked for I.D. anywhere else in NY.

Thanksgiving dinner in hotel's restaurant was disappointing - sloppy looking, overlooked turkey and watery mashed potato you wouldn't give a dog.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Atlanta
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Location is fantastic. Views are spectacular, particularly from the rooftop bar which is must. You see the new World Trade Tower and the river. It has a cool vibe. There is also a closed in bar on top which is really elegant. The rooms are lacking and do not quite fit the price, interiors seem rathe dated in spots but the hotel is purposefully quirky. Try to get a room with towards the end of the building but the river to get a great view.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Evan A, Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your recent stay with us at The Standard, High Line. So glad to hear you enjoyed the neighborhood and our spectacular views! We appreciate your feedback on the guestroom design...quirky and cool are definitely part of our personality at The Standard. We’ve noted your profile that you’d like to be at the end of the building with a river view. Hope to see you back again soon!

Cheers,
Evan
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I previously stayed at The Standard when the hotel first opened in 2009, but recently stayed over the weekend & had an amazing stay! Literally every single person I came in contact with from the Front Desk, Housekeeping, Room Service, Guest Services, Bellman, The Standard Grill, & The Shop were super friendly, warm, hip and extremely attractive! Irina who checked me in was awesome- she set an amazing first impression, hit all the right notes, was cool, yet warm and was so nice! When I called down for assistance with my bags, Jake kindly helped me out and was very nice. Brian, my bellman, was awesome and helped me get a cab and could not have been nicer! Aubrey from Guest Services helped me out with adding a friends name onto my booking and was super sweet. I don't know who checked me out, but she was again, nice and wished me safe travels. Someone from Housekeeping even called to see if I needed service, and wished me safe travels as well. Jaris who made my reservation was very efficient! Everyone rocked! Thank you so much!

I was in 1524, which had an amazing view of both the city, the Empire State building, a sliver of the High Line, West Side Highway and the Hudson River- it was beautiful! The room was very modern and cozy, with a fantastic Queen bed that was extremely comfy, an amazing rain fall shower that had insanely good pressure, a huge tub, a separate W/C, and my favorite part, the little alcove the desk and cushy seating area that was awesome to browse on my laptop, observe the views, and eat room service. The room smelled very good and was fresh and clean. Everything worked perfectly, including the heat and A/C unit. I also loved the closet with plenty of space, the shampoo and soap that smells like honey and the cool little guides that come with your key card. I really loved my room and the overall layout was just perfect.

One of the highlights of my stay was the food! I went down to the bar with a great friend and we had drinks, a light meal, and some dessert, and everything was delicious and the space and atmosphere was just fantastic. The Room Service Food was so delicious! Ariana, Jason and Peter from room service were all so nice! I loved the Cobb Salad with Radish, the bread was soft and delicious, the Poached Eggs for Breakfast, the Potato Soup with homemade chips was incredibly satisfying, the Lemon Twizzle cocktail was so delicious, the Grilled Chicken Paillard was the perfect light lunch and my favorite dessert ever was the Banana Pudding from Room service- it was so incredibly amazing! I had it twice during my stay- it's not too sweet- a smooth pudding base, ripe banana slices, whipped cream, then topped with Crumbled shortbread- I'm still craving it!

I also loved the overall design, the carpet in the hallways leading to my room, the hip lobby, and the extremely good looking bellman! I had an amazing time and looking forward to returning soon. Thanks for an amazing stay!

Best,
Patrick Winkler

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Evan A, Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Amazing review Patrick! It’s wonderful to hear that since your last stay 4 years ago…we were still able to blow you away. Thank you for your kind comments, I’ve shared them with our staff. Hope to see you back at The Standard, High Line soon!

Cheers
Evan
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Loved our weekend at the Standard, High Line. I must say, almost everything about this chic hotel is great. Of course (everybody says it) the location in the meatpacking district and on the High Line absolutely is value-added to the experience.
The staff at the front desk on our arrival was extremely nice (though the hostess' "cleavage" was a little distracting for this aging hipster I confess). Request a room in the higher floors for the views if possible, but I understand you don't want to be under the club on the top floors or right near the elevator. It was just a little too chilly to spend our first evening at the rooftop bar -- but the views from there were stunning. You just gotta go up there!
I must say, the rooms do seem SMALL and a bit cramped, although well-designed. Bathrooms have HUGE tubs and super-comfy beds ==> the bed is too low to the floor for my taste & comfort. I guess this is a "design thing" because of the floor-to-ceiling windows. This is certainly not a hotel for fuds (I also stubbed my toe a few times on the mini step-up to the bathroom) -- and I certainly did not like getting turned away at the elegant upstairs bar first time around [for wearing sneakers not shoes]. Drinks at the bar were uber pricey -- but I suppose if you are paying the price of staying at this hotel, just be prepared to go with the flow! We had Saturday and Sunday breakfasts in the cozy bistro-café. Excellent breakfast food. For dinner I recommend Fig & Olive around the corner. Mini-bar was well stocked with plenty of alcohol and treats, but at a premium price (to be expected).
Overall, we loved our stay -- and would likely return.

Room Tip: See comments above -- VERY important!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 November 2013

The location of the hotel above the high line trail, and in the meatpacking district was great. Lots of shopping and eating opportunities were available and we found we liked the neighborhood better than Soho. We stayed on the 7th floor in a Deluxe Queen ADA room with a view that faced the Hudson River, the Brass Monkey rooftop and the new Whitney, which is under construction. The room itself was comfortable. The ADA designation means that there is no bathtub, only a shower and the bathroom is large enough for a wheelchair to maneuver and has grab bars. The shower has one very dim light, so it might be difficult to see in there at night. Both the shower and bathroom are finished with shiny black-glazed tile.When you come into the room, the bathroom is on the left and shower on the right. The floor to ceiling windows are directly ahead with the bed area to the left and seating area and closet to the right. The seating area has a small sofa, table and leather swivel chair, a hanging fixture over the table and a magazine rack. The closet is behind a curtain and has two small cubbies a safe, a hanging rod with shelf above.The bed area has nightstands on either side of the bed and has a clock radio with iPod connector (old style). There are dimmable lights above the headboard and switch and dimmer for the room lights. The bath products in the room are pleasant, with a small glycerine soap bar, small pot of honey-scented body lotion, a packet of cotton balls/swabs and ear plugs. I brought my own ear plugs which blocked sound better than the ones provided. The shower has shampoo, conditioner and shower gel in pumps attached to the wall. The products had a nice Aveda-like scent but are not Aveda. The bed seemed spongy upon sitting on it, but for sleeping, it was very comfortable. Except for some loud-talkers in the hallway and the noise from the brass monkey, there wasn't much noise beyond the background din of the city. I use the earplugs to block out my partner's snoring!
There is a mini bar in a fridge for beverages and a cabinet above for snacks. I couldn't find the price list anywhere in the room. There are wine glasses, an ice bucket, a wine opener in the room. There was a candle in the room but wasn't sure if this was a mini bar item or part of the amenities.
The TV planted in the floor may have been a cool design idea (and perhaps helps with sound) but it interferes with getting out of one side of the bed and with the view.
The heating/cooling worked well and didn't give us any problems.
Facilities:
The gym on the 17th floor is decent and has great views. There are about 6-8 cardio machines and maybe 2-4 weight machines. There are also some free weights. Not a lot of room for floor work, though.
The open air rooftop bar and lounge is fun for a late afternoon/early evening drink. The upholstered furniture had nasty stains on it, so we stuck to the webbed chairs.
The boom boom room has some marvelous views of the city and cozy spots to sit by a fireplace. If you want a drink here, you'll need to get it yourself. The staff only seem interested in serving certain tables.
The plaza bar is good for people watching. Not all the seating has overhead heaters, so pay attention if you are sitting outside and want to be warm.
The Standard Grill front room is a pleasant spot to have breakfast. Service is efficient and friendly. The servers wear funky plaid pants and vests. I suggest the hotel re-work the continental breakfast from the 1 hot (coffee/tea), 1 cold bev (orange/grapefruit juice), choice of pastries and choice of toast to work in some protein and fruit. Who needs pastries AND toast? Plus there are enough pastries in one person's order to feed two people. Continental breakfast was included in our room package,
Getting up to the club late at night is impossible without an invitation or guest list privileges. We didn't inquire with the concierge about getting in ahead of time, so maybe that is how it works.
They separate the guest elevators from the club elevators at night so we didn't experience the mix-up of club-goers and hotel guests I've read on other reviews.

Room Tip: ADA rooms only have a shower in case you want a room with a bathtub.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Whilst location, design and the restaurants and bars are fantastic, it is once again the superb staff who made the 7 night stay outstanding. Nothing is too difficult for these guys!
Looking forward to my next NYC visit.

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had a Queen size Deluxe Room on the 17th Floor, facing Uptown towards the Empire State Building - what a view - especially so at night from the bedroom seeing the twinkling lights! The service was excellent throughout our stay of 5 days, from booking in to drinking in the 18th floor Bar. The Standard Grill downstairs was one of the best meals - you just have to have the burger and share the huge brownie. A great stay we hope to return.

Room Tip: The higher floors looking uptown would be the best in our view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple