“Funky place in a funky town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Standard, High Line

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #152 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Funky place in a funky town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is a great place to stay if you are hip! And I mean really, really hip, not a pretender like me. Rooms are small but with a great view. Bar and dining arrangements are a bit confusing with various entrances, times, dress codes etc. the upstairs bar (the one without the strict dress code) is uber cool hence on a sunny Sunday like today it rather resembled a caged chicken factory for the young uber dudes. Much more preferable are the downstairs restaurants which have great food and drinks, excellent staff and a great view of the passing parade of uberatti. Would I come back? Probably but my wardrobe would require a major renovation first. The free bicycles are a great way to get around and the staff on the front desk are fabulous.
I

Room Tip: Prepare to dig a bit deeper than you would normally prefer
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ian M
Evan A, Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Ian M

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It’s nice to hear you had such a pleasant stay! I am glad you got to experience many of our Food and Beverage outlets as they all have something unique to offer. The free bikes are definitely a fun amenity and a wonderful way to get out and see the city!

We hope you can join us again at The Standard, High Line real soon!

Evan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

My husband treated us to a 5 night blow out trip to NYC for my birthday. The Standard was the perfect hotel for us:

Fantastic location
Amazing city view
Great bathtub and shower
Wonderfully comfortable bed
Efficient room service

We didn't hear the night club and had no problem checking it out on our last night. The formal bar at the top of the Standard has amazing views.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a river view - the city view is amazeballs
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear S-ABSussex

Thank you for your review! I am so glad we got to be a part of your birthday celebration! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Our location and views throughout the building certainly set us apart from the rest.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Standard, High Line soon!

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I booked the Hudson Suite for my final 2 nights during my trip to NYC.... and what a way to end the trip! I highly recommend this suite, its AMAZING! The views are so good that after 2 weeks of running around you don't feel so bad to sleep in that bit longer to enjoy the room while you have it!

The staff in general were quite good. Concierge actually were fun and aren't as starchy as some other hotels so thumbs up to them!

As a solo I definitely recommend this hotel for other solo travelers. I loved the area, close to lots of night spots and good eats.

The only fault I would say is that I had to wait to check in for over an hour as the room had not been cleaned. Although the staff were apologetic I would say that I wasn't really impressed that I had to wait especially since I'd be running around all day. That said, the suite was really worth the wait!

Room Tip: It was a tad noisy at the 15th floor due to the rooftop bar
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kittyau
Dear Kittyau

Thank you for your review. Sounds like you had an amazing trip to New York City and I am so glad The Standard, High Line was able to contribute to your experience! Our location in the Meatpacking District is ideal for various activities and so lively that it’s easy to forget you are traveling alone! Our staff is unique and fun and I am glad you were able to work with our knowledgeable concierge team, they certainly know the best way to see New York!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel is in a great location however:
1. The hotel caters to casual visitors to the rooftop bars and give little recognition to hotel guests. The congestion at the lifts of a weekend is a nightmare. There is no priority or reserved lift for hotel guests.
2. The wifi in rooms drops in and out and to get a constant signal you need to sit in the hallway.
3. The TV streaming signal also drops out mid show and often does not return.
4. The maids don't replace the soap even when you have to leave a note requesting more.
5. Unlike other hotels there are no umbrellas kept at the front desk for guests. If the one in your room is broken, as was ours, there are no others.
6. The wardrobe is so small that none of our international bags will fit in it opened or closed.
The hotel is very popular but the focus is not on hotel guests. They are clearly making money form people eating and drinking here.

Room Tip: Ask to be above street noise around 14 but well away from the rooftop area of 18.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank C S
Dear C S

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It appears we missed the mark on several of your expectations and I am sorry to hear you were disappointed in your experience here at The Standard, High Line. We take all feedback very serious and I have passed your concerns onto the appropriate departments.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to discuss in further detail.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Loved my stay at The Standard last month - now THOSE are rooms with a view. Top of The Standard bar is great, but the door girls are rather airheaded and snooty. Full details and pics on my blog: http://hyhoi.com/2014/05/standard-high-line-hotel-new-york/

Room Tip: The higher you are, the better the view. Both uptown and downtown views rock.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nina F
Dear Nina F

Thank you for your review! So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and the amazing views throughout the hotel!

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

After just staying at the Standard for one night I can only advise staying far away. We found our room to be acceptable (all be it small with a strange shower layout that for those with mobility issues would present a major issue) as were the dinning options which is good. Now for the problems during the course of a less than 24 hour stay we got stuck on various floors of the hotel for more than fifteen minutes each time with elevator issues. In two cases my wife and I walked down six flights of stairs exiting the building through a service entrance just to leave. Upon notice the hotel seemed unphased at the on going elevator issues and made little attempt to explain or make the issue right. A hotel of this cost must find a way to better communicate and handle there maintenance issues. We won't be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kyle H
Evan A, Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Kyle H

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry for the elevator issues you experienced during your stay. This was an unforeseen circumstance and one that we take extremely serious. Our staff did everything possible to minimize the impact to guests and I am very sorry for the inconveniences this may have caused you.