“Great night sleep and amazing view in a super location”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #142 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Princeton NJ
“Great night sleep and amazing view in a super location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

We enjoyed a room with a river view on the 14th floor. Cynthia at the front desk was friendly and helpful at check in. This was a busy weekend in NYC with the gay pride parade and the staff was working non stop but they were always pleasant and helpful. As others have noted, the bed and linens contributed to a great night's sleep. My favorite aspect of the hotel room was how quiet it was! Despite the large crowds on the rooftop and various restaurants and partying into the night, we never once heard annoying hallway conversation, door slams, or toilet flushes. Go to this hotel to be in the trendy center of the action and then be able to retreat to a luxuriously comfortable room with an incredible view.

1 Thank 4happyfamily
Kevin R, Managing Director at The Standard, High Line, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review! I am pleased to hear you had such a nice stay and a great night’s sleep! I especially appreciate your praise for Cynthia and all of our hardworking staff. They are the true soul of this hotel and immensely enhance our guest experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Having previously visited their fantastic grill restaurant, the Standard High Line had long been on our list of 'to-do' NYC hotels.

What a massive disappointment. A once-impressive hotel now appears to have lost or forgotten what once made it great. From
indifferent service in the lobby (upon check-in, my bags weren't even acknowledged) to the downright rude, officious club/bar staff.

The owners of the Standard High Line would be wise to remember that their are numerous other hotels in NYC that don't treat their paying customers as if they are a nuisance, whilst letting braying, drunk 20-somethings run riot in the bars/clubs/toilets of a weekend.

Add to this, the cramped, tatty rooms and the Standard begins to embody the definition of
faded, '09 'glamour'.

Whilst the hotel operation is a mess, the Standard Grill (outside of weekends) remains a delight. Enjoy the food there and give the incompetent, overpriced hotel a miss.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Burtcooper74
I am so sorry to hear about your disappointing experience at The Standard, High Line. We take all feedback very seriously and are equally disappointed to hear that our service was what let you down the most. We work very hard to accommodate both our hotel guests as well as our guests who just come to enjoy our variety of food and beverage options, and it appears we failed you on this. We do hope you will give us another try in the future. Please contact Julie in the Executive Office (JGuerra@standardhotel.com) for your next reservation and we will make sure to show you we do still have it.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I’m in love with the NY Standard Hotel!

My curiosity started 4 years ago, when I walked the high line with my friend and looked up at the concrete structure straddling the old elevated railroad tracks, large open windows exposed to the city, wondering what was going on in each particular hotel cubicle. It’s a structure that invites curiosity!

So this time we decided to stay here. Let me get straight to the part when you walk into your room on a beautiful late afternoon summer day, and in front of you is the famous skyline covered in a golden glow, with the Empire State building jutting out of the tetris like horizon. I was in love!

What is amazing about this hotel is that every room has a view. Because it is situated on the very east of mid-town, each room either faces towards the newly topped out Freedom Tower or the Empire State building. You’re guaranteed a view.

The rooms are not the largest, but they have a retro feel and are very well layed out. They’re bright, have a very large and comfortable bed, and even though I’m not a tub person, I loved the rather deep and squarish tub where two people can easily fit in.

And then there is the rooftop bar on the 18th floor. Wow! 360 you are surrounded by the famous NYC skyline. It just wants to make you drink a manhattan, which you also do. Just make sure you are dressed right! No sneakers. No shorts. I actually went out and bought shoes to come here!

The service is wonderful, friendly, hip and young. And as you walk out into the newly refreshed meat packing district, you feel the buzz of this great city.

If you decide to workout, the gym on the 17th floor has got to have one of the best views I’ve ever seen from a gym!

EXCEPT … I was inclined to take a star off my rating due to the crappy internet, which really pissed me off. Free internet should be good enough to do your emails and read news. And The Standard does not deliver on this basic premise. It jammed my laptop because all the synch-ing went awry. When I measured the speed, the download and upload was embarrassingly slow. This really needs to be fixed for as to the rest, this hotel is perfection.

Room Tip: You are guaranteed a view whichever way you face. The higher the better though.
3 Thank bojantercon
What a fantastic review! Thank you so much for your kind words, it’s always lovely to hear such great feedback. I love that we piqued your curiosity many years ago and that you were finally able to be a part of it now. Thank you for highlighting all of the elements that made your stay so memorable from the funky rooms with the fabulous views, the bars on the 18th floor, the gym and most importantly the wonderful service you received.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

What can I say but you come to The a Standard for a party. We where not disappointed on that front at all. We arrived quiet late after midnight and the place was rocking.
After we pushed our way through the party crowd and revolving door we made it to reception. We where met with smiles and didn't find them arrogant at all, get it's a part spot so don't get on your high horse and you will be fine.
After we went downstairs for a drink and a bite. The beer was cold and the good was great. Most of all the atmosphere was jumping.
We didn't come here for value for money so we didn't realty judge the place on it. Sure the clubs had a bit of attitude but they needed it because the crowd can be random in a not so great way.
For a hip hotel the staff where very nice and accommodating. If you want your butt kissed constantly go to the generic 5 star chains. However I must say the attitude of the host at the main restaurant was a bit annoying, he really did go the extra mile to be arrogant. I won't mention names but Mr dreadlock you know who you are. But hey all is forgiven this place is everything it promises to be.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank GazMelb70
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My second stay here since apparently I blanked on how bad it was the first time.

First of all, the room sizes at ~$400/night are ridiculous, even for NYC. And it doesn't really matter whether you upgrade a bit or not. With two people in a standard room, it feels like you're living on a submarine.

They just don't get the little stuff right: the snobby staff at the desk; the stupid door policy for the club; the shampoo dispenser in the shower instead of bottles; the airs the reception girls at the top floor bar and club give themselves. The whole place feels like you walked into a club that isn't really happy that you've come.

$100 buys you two drinks and three plates of tapas in the upstairs bar. Usually an overpriced place is fine if the experience makes up for it. But the quality of the food is so-so and the staff takes away the rest of the joy from the view.

Breakfast is good, if pricy, though you can wait a good twenty minutes for the initial coffee serving. Similarly snooty staff there, though.

Finally the location isn't all that it's cracked up to be. The High Line is cool, but on the weekends New Jersey invades the meatpacking district. It's really gone downhill from a few years ago.

If this place were anywhere but New York, it'd be out of business. Seriously - avoid.

Room Tip: All the rooms are shoeboxes. Avoid.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
14 Thank maxn78
Thank you for your detailed review. It is apparent we missed the mark on many of your expectations and for that I apologize. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and we obviously were not able to deliver on that during your stay. I assure you that this attitude you experienced will be addressed in all departments and we will continue to improve. Should you choose to return in the future, please reach out to Julie in the Executive Office (Jguerra@standardhotel.com) and she will make sure you are well looked after.
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Standard Highline from 6/20 - 6/22

The hotel is very nice and modern looking. The front desk staff was friendly and check-in was quick and easy. The check-in for valet for dropping off my car was also quick and easy...

We booked the hudson studio room to have extra space...the room had awesome views as well.

That is pretty much where the good part stops...

I had called ahead and requested a room on a high floor 2-3 days prior to the trip.... the staff said that it could be accommodated on the phone.

When I arrived at the hotel and checked-in they stated that my room was only on the 5th floor. I asked about the request for a higher floor and the nice front desk person stated that unfortunately they were already all committed to other guests who have checked into the hudson rooms. I was surprised as the room which I paid for should have been reserved with the high floor request in advance as booked.. Regardless not a huge deal... I went to the room and even though the room was on the 5th floor the views were amazing...

Friday after checking in we went to the roof top bar area around 9pm...

The staff at the door was pretty rude on the 18th floor, we had no clue where to go we stated that we were hotel guests and they said ok no problem and stamped our hands. However when we did not know what door to go through to get into the roof top area they then rudely showed us.. Like we were suppose to know to push on a wall that has large that has a door in it..

Then when we got into the bar area there was about 10 other people there at the bar and 40-60 people in the club area....

The bar had (no joke ) about 12 bar tenders.

However after waiting for over 15 minutes myself, my girl and the other 8-10 people at the bar were confused as to why nobody would get served by one of the 12 bar tenders!

The staff at the bar was all pretty rude and anytime any of use tried to ask for drinks they were all "busy" setting up for the club that night

I cannot understand for $18+ a drink why one of the 12 people setting up the bar for the club couldn't process drink orders.. Seems like very poor management of time/staff.

Eventually everyone got drinks ( by a rude bar tender as they were upset that we all kept asking... )

We then had a good time as the night went on and were able to get drinks more regularly once the staff "setup"

The staff on the roof top part of the bar as well was very snobby and rude... I was very surprised.

It seemed that they were that way with most people...

Saturday around 2pm we went back to the 18th floor figured we would catch some sun and grab a view drinks. To our surprise the people at the door on the 18th floor this time very rudely said that the entrance to the bar is on the street now.

Like we were suppose to know that.. I said wait, we are hotel guests and last night I walked right through the door you are standing next to to get to the roof. The lady at the desk on the 18th floor extremely rudely stated again that the area is closed and we had to go back down to the street.

We were also with others guests of the hotel at this time and we were all very surprised.

So myself my date and 4 other hotel guests went back to the elevator and to the street. The most surprising part of it all was that when we got to the street there was a line of about 80 people trying to get to the roof of our hotel.

We went to the front of the line and asked the door man hey we are all staying in the hotel, here is our room keys the lady upstairs said we had to enter from the street.

The man extremely rudely stated that we had to move away from his "area" at the door and that we could not get upstairs unless we waited in the long line of people.

I was shocked. I told the guy look I have a room upstairs at a price of over $700 a night and you are telling me I cannot get to my own hotels roof top lounge area at 2pm on a saturday. He basically again said the same thing... that nobody could get up unless they waited in the line.

I was extremely upset... I have never been to a bar or hotel where the staff overall except the front desk employees all seemed so snobby and rude.

I have stayed at dozens of high end hotels in nyc and over 100 hotels in the past 10+ years in other major cities and never had experienced anything like this on such a broad level of disregard for hotel guests and customers.

We ended up going to the Dream Downtown roof top bar ( I stayed here a few times before ) way better than the standard highline... in every aspect. We were not hotel guests and we were allowed to go right up to the roof top bar with a packed crowd and got several drinks easily.

After the dream we walked down the block and hit up my favorite spot the Gansevoort Meat Packing District hotel. (stayed here several times before as well) Again same thing.. Got on the elevator not as a hotel guest and went right to the roof.

Even the rooftop bar at the dream downtown and the gansevoort is far beyond the view of the standard. The standard rooftop is very small.

Gansevoorts is huge and has a pool and a much better crowd, same with dream downtown!

The Gansevoort roof was packed, and even though there were only 4 bar tenders on the roof/pool area they served us all within minutes and they were all very happy to be there making money doing their job and treating customers right. I tip normally at about 30%+ when a bar tender in a major city does a good job.. They showed much appreciation... I walked up to the bar with tons of people at it throughout the rest of the night and I was immediately served and they knew what I wanted.

The highline standard can learn a lot from the neighboring hotels...

We ended up staying at the gansevoort roof for like 4-5 hours just drinking like crazy and having tons of fun with the other customers drinking on the roof.../pool area...

Sunday called for my car then went downstairs 30 minutes later and could not find exactly where the valet person was.

There was no valet attendant where we originally parked/dropped off the car.

I also could not see my car anywhere on the street... I went inside asked the guys in the lobby.. They said that the valet usually parks the cars on the other side of the bar in the lobby instead of where we dropped it off...

Ok no big deal, except we finally see my car and still no valet attendant.

Nobody was in sight.

I waited around for 10 minutes near my car and other cars and could not find any valet person at all to get my key from.

Another thing that shocked me is that they had my Jaguar f type convertible parked on the street with the roof down.

There were people near my car taking pictures of it and you can easily open the glove box and the other storage areas from the car with the doors locked because the roof was down. So basically anyone could have took stuff out of my car. No valet person there to watch over it!

Eventually found valet attendant when he came back from I am assuming dropping off other customers cars, we got our keys and left.

Only to find out that when I got home to PA I noticed that my EZ Pass was missing from my windshield.

So now I drove from NYC to PA about 2 hours through several tolls with no ezpass.

Someone stole the ez pass from my car ( since it was left open with no valet watching it )

I cannot wait to get the bills from NY, NJ turnpike and PA with bills for going through the EZ pass without paying...

I had no clue until I got home that it was missing ( noticed when I went through the last toll in pa and the light did not turn green... )

All in all we had an amazing trip... I travel frequently and I had an excellent time with my significant other in NYC. However other than enjoying the hotel room we did not really have any fun at all in the hotel which is sad because when I go away and stay in a nice hotel, I normally will just spend most of my time and money in the hotel relaxing...

I ended up spending thousands of dollars in other hotels which is a loss for the standard not me... I will not be back...

Rocco

Room Tip: If you don't mind spending extra money definitely get the Hudson Studio or better room... It ha...
5 Thank rocco c
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Standard is way above the level of similar hotels. It has all of what you need for a special stay in NYC. Rooms are spacious and very well organized, the view is breathtaking, every single detail has been smartly planned (minibar is spectacular). If you are there just for relaxing and sleeping you'll enjoy the room and the excellent breakfast; if you are there for having fun, the cocktail bar and the terrace are some of the best ever seen.
Chapeau