“Mixed experience”

The Standard, High Line
Ranked #156 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Trendy hotel, deluxe room was nice except for the wet carpet near the open bathroom (even when I checked in - yuck). For some reason their "seperate sink, $hit, shower" layout involves an open tiled shower area that opens onto the carpeted entrance way. Across is the sink and then toilet area. Unclear what the permanent water damage will be, but does not seem hygenic.

Bed was great. View was nice. Location is meat packing district so can be a slog in the cab to midtown, especially with all of Bloomberg's new one-way streets everywhere. Fun for leisure stay of shopping, clubbing, eating out. High Line Park is cool to walk. Lots of wealthy young European clientele (this place must be a hit on Opodo!)

Check-in - WORST EVER. I stood in line for 10 minutes before I gave up, dumped my suitcase with the doorman and ran out to my meeting. The front desk of 1 person was consumed with some foreigner's neverending random questions about New York. Meanwhile, 2 employees sat next to the front desk, ignoring the line, and not doing anything except surfing their Apple laptops and sometimes answering their headsets. odd and unacceptable. The checkin/out line was huge and I'm sure these young ladies could multi-task more than whatever they are doing (seemed like they operated a call center and were told to never make contact with actual people in line).

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank WalnutStreet
iannicholson, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2010

Dear WalnutStreet,

I want to thank you for choosing our hotel, and want to apologize for the inconveniences you mention in your review. Our room design features elements which aim to create a feeling of openness throughout all aspects of the room. As cleanliness is of great importance to us, we are sure to thoroughly clean each part of our guestrooms daily in expectance of each new arrival.

In regards to your check-in, I apologize for your wait time as there are certain times of the day in which we have an influx of check-ins, and our Front Desk staff work their hardest to address each new guest while giving all due attention to each individual check-in. At very busy times for the Front Desk, we are happy to hold guest’s baggage while some choose to have a drink or light snack in the Living Room until check-in. In any event, we work our hardest to have as smooth a check-in as possible as we recognize this is often a first-impression of our property.

Thank you for your comments, and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 12 December 2010

This hotel is a HUGE disappointment. At $500/night, you get absolutely nothing. My room is not as nice as my dorm room which was a dump. My friend who stayed here before said that the YMCA at $50 night is nicer. It's as if the joke is on us...yes you are "cool" for staying here, but......This hotel won't have staying power. The quality of the finish out. And you can't get a cup of coffee in your room.....an act of Congress, seriously. The service is, well, lackluster. Trsut me, don't stay here. You will be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank csnut
iannicholson, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2010

Dear csnut,

Thank you for choosing our hotel, and apologies if our rooms did not fit your travel needs. Each of our differing room types are of a modern design which aim to open up the space and highlight the amazing views available from our hotel’s unique location. As for coffee, I apologize if there was any confusion as our Room Service staff are available to bring coffee to your room 24 hours a day, seven days a week. As we value highly our employee’s desire to help our guests wherever possible, any member of our staff would be able to assist with this request along with many others during your stay with us.

Thank you, and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 8 December 2010

ridiculous room layout, bedroom is in bathroom, very rude service from front desk and phone operator, at $450 a night many other better choices in the city!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
9  Thank rmayo_10
iannicholson, General Manager at The Standard, High Line, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2010

Dear rmayo_10,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in New York, and apologies if your chosen room did not fit your travel needs. Our rooms are of a very modern design with custom elements designed specifically for our property, one of the highlights in your room type being what we call the “courtesy shade,” which opens up the bathroom area for more continuity between this and the living space. I hope that you will keep us in mind for a future trip, during which time we would be happy to show you a variety of room types within our hotel, and help decide which would be best to cater to your needs as our valued guest. Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions or to arrange a future stay with us.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 December 2010

I love The Standard New York. It's my home away from home during my travel to New York City. The staff has made me feel so welcome. The location is outstanding!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I stay at hotels about 90 days a year and I don't ever remember being so humiliated ever. The service is terrible and the staff is unbelievable arrogant. They think they are the hottest thing in the world but in reality it is just a modern hip hotel in a location that I would call a dump. It was probably my biggest mistake to stay there and I had originally booked for 4 nights and left after the first night even though they had to charge for another night!

• Stayed: December 2010
7  Thank Phenompilot
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Love this place - the NY office of my company is two blocks away so this is by far the most convenient location for me. Views are great from the room and the gym is awesome. Its a bit nightcluby so if you're not dressed to impress you'll feel a little sloppy.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 November 2010

+++The view of the room was priceless! Relaxing on the fantastic bed with the softest linnen ever was so nice after a whole day walking in the city. Waking up at 5 AM due to jet lag and watching the city wake up, what an experience. Brian the bell boy was extremely nice and made our fist impression of the hotel very good.
- - - The staff had an attitude (except Brian off course). Don't know why because they are there at my service not the other way around. As someone else already posted here you sometimes feel you need to please them.

If you can ignore the stuck up faces of the staff (except Brian off course) it's a wonderfull hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple