“Very pleasantly surprised”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street
Ranked #80 of 468 Hotels in New York City
“Very pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This is my first time I stayed at the HGI on W 35th in New York. The location is excellent: Empire State Building, Time Square, theatre district, and Penn Station are in convenient walking distance. If you like Korean food, there are some fabulous restaurants on 33rd street. Try "Tous Les Jours" for some amazing desserts. The rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn were pretty much standard size for a moderately prized hotel in New York. Decor was updated and pragmatic, everything was clean and convenient. Bed was super comfortable and one of the best features of the room was that it came with a refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom was way beyond expectation: really huge marble walk-in shower with the best shower head and water pressure I have had in a hotel in quite some time.
Another surprising plus in this hotel was the prompt and efficient front desk service, everybody was very helpful and friendly. We arrived really early for check-in on our first day and no rooms were available at the time. They took my cell phone number and ACTUALLY CALLED within half an hour. Another example for the great service was that the battery in our TV remote died the second day of our stay. I called the front desk and had a new remote in less than 5 minutes!!!
The breakfast buffet was plentiful, cooked to order eggs, good coffee.
You are not staying at the Four Seasons, but for a budget hotel chain in New York, the Hilton Garden Inn exceeded all my expectations. You receive excellent value for your money here and I will be happy to come back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,000)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Enterprise, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I poured over lots of hotel reviews before I decided on the Hilton Garden Inn on 35th St. The location is ideal--within walking distance to many sites, including the Empire State Building and Times Square. There is also a subway stop just steps away. The hotel was quiet and we felt quite safe. The beds were very comfortable, which is important when you've been sightseeing all day. The room was smaller than other Hiltons I've stayed in, but this is something you will probably encounter with just about all downtown hotels. We three girls managed just fine, though, and we had a view of the Empire State Building. Staff was very helpful, also.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Herzliya, Israel
Reviewed 6 July 2013

After staying at another Hilton Garden Inn in nyc last year,on which I wrote a positive review, we stayed one night this week , on the 35th str. at 6th avenue Hilton Garden Inn .We were very happy with the room,the clenliness and everyone who works there,from the reception people to the security peron who kept our luggage for a while.Also it is very,very near to all the shopping like Macy's and more.The only problem there is the elevators! A great problem!
One waits a long time for an elevator to come every time.I could understand, in "rush hours" when every one is checking in or checking out, but these elevators are slow 24/7!
Take this into account.

Room Tip: the higher the better,because of the street
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn July 2-4 and it was wonderful. The hotel was located near everything that I needed. The staff was very friendly especially Tameika at the front desk. The hotel was quiet and I did not hear my neighbors at all. I travel to NYC every year for business and I have stayed at a few hotel hotels in NYC but I can honestly say that this is one of the best that I have stayed in.

Keep up the good work.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
San Jose, United States
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The location could not be any better. The metro station is right off the hotel entrance. Times square is just 10 minutes walk, empire state building is 5 minutes walk. The hotel staff was less than helpful. I checked in early. My room was not ready so I requested them to call me on my cellphone once the room was ready. I waited for 3 hours and no call. I went back to the hotel and I was told the room had been ready for more than an hour.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Markham, Canada
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I really had a nice stay and this hotel. It was in a great location downtown New York. I really liked the staff they were friendly and helpful which made my stay that much better. The staff helped me with my map trying to find different things to do and see. I also loved my room it had a great view. Its also very clean and welcoming. I would recommend to anyone heading to NY.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We spent three nights at this hotel in two rooms, as we were in NYC with our adult children. We found it to be exactly as advertized and consistent with similar hotels.

Reception was friendly and helpful, and check- in quick and easy. The rooms were more than adequate - not too large, but fine for sleeping in, as in NYC you are not going to spend too much time in them, anyway. The bed was super comfy, and we liked that we could adjust the firmness on each side. I especially enjoyed the wonderful pillows- something you do not find in all hotels of this caliber. The linens were clean and soft and in good shape. The bathroom was fine - clean with more than adequate amenities, and we enjoyed the walk- in glass doored shower. The only thing that would have been nice, would be a bar or ledge for leg shaving, and perhaps a shower head that could be adjusted. My only real gripe in the bathroom, was the location of the toilet rolls - you need super long arms to reach it! Good, forceful hairdryer is provided and the Neutrogena toiletries are a welcome touch. A larger soap bar for the shower/tub would be nice, as it is very small for more than one person.

The black - out curtains are great, and our room, 1109, at the end of the hallway, was quiet at all times and we slept like logs.

Housekeeping was very late doing our room one of the days - but I guess the hotel was very busy that weekend. They were better the following day, and most polite.

I had only two minor gripes, but they are personal, and probably won't affect most folk - firstly, I found the aircon in the lobby way too cold. After being in the heat and humidity of outdoors, I felt as though I was shivering in the Arctic on entering the hotel, and secondly, I had great trouble logging on to the free internet on my phone. I only managed to get on about twice, despite trying all the options and going down to the desk. Not sure why this happened. I would get as far as the agreement, and then there was no place to click to continue.

The kids enjoyed the free eats in the lobby daily, especially the cookies. Nice touch.

The location is superb for Times Square, Macy's and the subway, the Empire State Building etc. It's a good base for NYC and easy to access most places from the location.

All in all, a decent choice,but now that we have seen this part of NYC, we will go elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Room 1109 at the end of the hallway, was quiet with a great view and a walk- in shower.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family