“Disappointing first impression, but got better!”

Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street
Ranked #79 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Disappointing first impression, but got better!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

On our arrival the hotel had misplaced our reservation. We had booked through a third party 10 months previous as we really wanted to stay here for our 25th wedding anniversary, and got our rooms a lot cheaper not booking direct. Anyway after being told they had no reservation or rooms for us at first, they soon sorted the miscommunication and couldn't have been more apologetic or helpful. While waiting for my husband to sort it out. I had a chance to take in the reception area which was in desperate need of refurbishment, as it was, they were in the process of this which didn't really impact on our stay. They gave us room 2704 on the 27th floor and the room, whilst not huge, had been refurbished to Hilton's fabulous standard and when we opened the curtains we were met with a fabulous view of the Empire State Building. It felt like you could just reach out and touch it! We left the curtains open and just lay there at night watching it change colours, and the sight of it on waking was worth the trouble we encountered on checking in.

The hotel was next to Macy's, close to a Times Square, Madison Gardens, Broadway and had plenty if restaurants, convenient stores, fast food cafés etc and lots of other places in easy reach.

There was plenty of choice for breakfasts and there was a small bar in the reception, not sure if they were going to extend this but you could get snack there too. They also had complimentary soft drinks and snacks each day in the reception area.

Overall the room was very comfortable as was the bed, it was like sleeping on a cloud!. The shower was powerful and the towels fluffy soft and plenty for two. The lift was fast, breakfast was plenty, and lots of choice.

The location was perfect for sightseeing, but we got two days hop on-hop off tickets for the double decker buses whitch took us to all the places we wanted to see. It was well planned so we knew where we wanted to get on and off. I would give yourself at least 6-7 hours each for the up town and lower Manhattan bus routes if that what you decide do that. We didn't go to Harlem on the upper route as we wanted to spend time in Central Park especially Strawberry Fields and go to th Dakota buildings to see where John Lennon had been gunned down.

I'm sure the Hilton Garden Inn will have finished their refurbishment by now so it will be lovely. It was just unfortunate we had a problem with checking in after a long flight and long wait to be picked up from the airport. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2704 which had a fab view of the Empire State Building! And Macy's was just be...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mojomax16_13
Elan B, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear Mojomax16_13 ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and were specifically able to enjoy our amazing view of the Empire State Building. I apologize for the issues you had at check-in; we recognize that many of our guests are exhausted from traveling upon arrival, and aim for our check-in process to be as quick and smooth as possible. I look forward to welcoming you back to our property soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,000)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel because of its proximity to where I had to be for business. I was pleasantly surprised at how good this hotel was in all areas. Buffet breakfast was excellent, overall cleanliness was outstanding and hotel personnel could not have been nicer and more accommodating. The building is only four years old and the location was very convenient. This is my new "go to" hotel for NYC. I can highly recommend it for both individuals and families.

Room Tip: My room was on the ninth floor and noise was never a factor during my stay.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Elan B, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Joel,

Thanks for your great review. I am so happy to hear that you really enjoyed your stay and that you plan on using HGI 35 as your "go to" property! Feel free to contact me before your next visit so that we can make sure your next visit is as perfect as your last.
St Catharines
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Great location! Shower was excellent. Bed was average. TV, hard to use (maybe battery low) & would have liked local channels not just cable specialty channels. May have had local channels but hard to find when flipping channels. Wanted local news weather etc.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Shane,

Thanks for your review. I'm glad you found our location to be convenient and that you were able to enjoy our awesome showers. I'm sorry you had issues with the television. During your next visit, let us know and we will fix it right away. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We were on the 30th floor with a stunning view of the Empire State Building. The room was not spacious but efficiently compact with everything you might need including a little fridge and microwave. There was a nice bathroom with walk-in shower and excellent water pressure. Comfortable and clean. Very pleasant staff at front desk as well as housekeeping.

This hotel has an extremely central location right off Herald Square. We could see Macy's from our window. So, it makes getting to a lot of places pretty easy.
If you choose to drive into New York City, as we did, this is an especially good choice. The hotel's garage is one block north (on 36th street). It's run by a very competent staff and is a good value for New York at $35 per day including taxes.

Room Tip: rooms in front and on higher floors will have Empire State Building views.
Dear thenutkin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. I agree with you in regards to the view of the Empire State Building; it never gets old! I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Bergen County, NJ
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The rooms are very clean, have a fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, and safe. There is free coffee and tea in the lobby, but breakfast will set you back $16.95! They have a nice spread, fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, waffles, pancakes, pastries, breads, and made to order eggs. However, you could shop, and serve yourself in your room! Most of the rooms face an elevator, the elevators are very quiet, but not the people, and we were awoken in the morning by a cruise ship whistle! If you're a sound sleeper, this is not a problem! On the plus size, it is very centrally located, near Penn Station and not far from Port Authority. Very close to Macy's and the Empire State building. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 3, 4, 5, 6, are across from elevators.
Dear Kateeka,

Thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear that you found our property to be conveniently located and that you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry you were awoken by a cruise whistle! I hope you were able to get a good night sleep despite it. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Bethlehem, United States
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location and the rate we received was well worth it for the room with the view of the Empire State Building and the staff knew all great restaurants to go to andhow to get us in for dinner.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Dear Lynda,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff to be helpful. We recognize that you have a choice when visiting NYC and greatly appreciate you choosing to stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn/ West 35th Street. I look forward to your next visit!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Having read some negative reviews on here about the hotel, I don't understand what some people moan about!

My girlfriend and I stayed in room 2305 for 4 nights from 13th November and this was a city view room, right outside the elevators yet they weren't loud and never woke us up. Secondly the view of the ESB from our window was amazing, I never thought it would be good as it was!

The bed was super comfy and big, could have slept in it longer if we didn't have so many things to do on our trip! Some people on here have said the rooms are small but ours was fine, enough for 2 cases, bags and shoppign bags, there is an airing cupboard anyway where you have the ironing board and iron so we shoved one of the cases in there. As for being outdated, I thought it was modern and the shower was superb - very powerful.

As for location, couldn't be any better really. Literally a 5 min walk into Times Square, subway is only a minute away and there are Starbucks and Andrwews Coffee Shop very close by for breakfast along with others we didn't try out.

I think the only negative about the hotel was that when we checked in we never got asked if we needed any help with anything as in itinerary and when I asked about the best way to get to Jamaica Station on the subway again so we could get to JFK airport early hours on the Sunday moprning, we were never told there were construction works on the line at the weekend, causing an extra 1.5hrs onto the journey and causign us to miss our flight and wait 11 hours in JFK for the next one! You'd have though someone would have advised on this so we could have allowed for the extra time.

Room Tip: I'd definitely choose a city view room, that little extra is worth the view and you won't be...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Elan B, Guest Services Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/West 35th Street, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Stephen,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and that you were able to enjoy our stunning view of the Empire State Building! I would like to personally apologize about the fact that we did not notify you about the construction on the AirTrain to JFK, and that you missed your flight. I know that nobody wants to spend that much time in an airport! I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the near future, and that your trip home goes as perfectly as your stay.