“Good location - couple of minuses”

Incentra Village Hotel
Ranked #14 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 July 2008

We've stayed at three of the gay friendly boutique guesthouses in this area of Chelsea and the story is very much the same. The location is excellent. Less manicured than Soho, low level, great community feel, eateries everywhere and relaxed bar scene. I would always plump for this area of Manhattan. However, there is room for improvement with these guesthouses. Shabby chic is one thing but substandard showers, for example, are just irritating. There was no baths in these rooms so they really need to provide a decent shower. These were not retro - they were just old. Humidity was an issue and even though we were asked not to keep the aircon on while we were out, we did. It was the only way to get a decent night's sleep. All that said, the management were very friendly - we had no problem with rudeness. The cleaning staff couldn't have been nicer. And we would consider going back. But just spruce up the rooms, improve the aircon, dust a bit more thoroughly and get new showers. Then I'll be a convert.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank RossTodhunter

Reviewed 14 June 2008

Incentra was a wonderful place to stay save for some oddities that are outside the scope of mgt to fix. It is verrrry conveniently located just a block away from the subway and close to many good restaurants and shopping. It is literally a minutes walk from the meat packing district where you will find plenty of upscale shopping, lovely cafes and restaurants, as well as many hot nite spots. Right next door is a wonderful place to get good and CHEAP breakfast if you do not feel like cooking in the room. The rooms are all designed differently and have their own unique indiosyncrasies. In the first room we stayed in (militaire) the shower was so small shaving legs became a trial in acrobatics. To give you an idea as to how small it was, i am size 4 and had difficulty! The second room i stayed in was washington which was much roomier however the loft area was tiny, cramped and uncomfortable. I would recommend that sleeping space only for children as the ceiling has only about 3 feet clearance, if that. None of these things can be corrected by mgt and did not deter from the general loveliness of the place. The best part tho was the staff! I have never been assisted by such friendly and helpful people!! They really are amazing there and will go above and beyond to assist you. enjoy!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank cerise64
Reviewed 28 November 2007

We spent a week here and enjoyed our stay. The first night we were in the stable which is slightly below ground level in the next door property. It was a nice room.

The second night we were in the Stonewall room which is in the basement of the main building. We were surprised by how much we liked it. It was large and well appointed, though being 6'3" I did bump my head a couple of times around the edge of the room. The stairs down are narrow.

For the rest of the trip we stayed in Lahore located in the next door building, which is on the top floor, once again a very nice room with a nice view out the front. It also has a skylight.

In none of the rooms did we find the street noise to be a bother. All the rooms had a fridge, microwave and coffee maker. They also had hair dryers and a number of information leaflets about NY and the surrounding area.

The rooms were clean, but it is an old building, so it is not for everyone. Also the stairs can be a challenge, thought we never went up in the main building.

The staff were very nice.

Lots of places to eat. The breakfast place right next door is ok, but we would recommend going across the street to the other side of Abingdon Square and eat in the Bus Stop Cafe, the food was both a little cheaper and better, and generally a nice facility.(check out the Abingdon Square Guesthouse website for a great list of local places to eat).

Very close to subway lines and buses.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank saskguy
Reviewed 17 November 2007

Our extended family has stayed at Incentra at least once a year for four years--a gay daughter and her friends, several couples who are friends, and us, a straight couple in our 60s. We love the quirkiness and funkiness of Incentra, but we also love that is has always been clean the times we have stayed, and that with reminders to the staff of when we last stayed, we get treated like family. Just remember that when you stay at Incentra you are dealing with personalities--but they are worth getting to know. (The manager is a photographer, for example, and several staff members have worked there for years.)

Incentra has been remodeled in the last 18 months. The Washington Room, for example, now has a queen-sized bed. "New" antique furniture (remember--it's still OLD!) has been purchased for rooms and main lobby area. Walls have been painted, art work rearranged. However, you will get tiny bathrooms, tiny kitchens (but a kitchen!), stairs, and street noise from 8th Ave.

The location can't be beat, either. Eat breakfast next door at the great little diner (stars eat there, too), and walk to the 14th St. and 8th Ave. subway or Washington Square Park. A growing list of great restaurants are within easy walking distance, as are several off-Broadway theaters. We return year after year because we can't find any place any better for the price. We love Incentra.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank VirginiaEnglishteach
Reviewed 26 July 2007

The rooms are great and very original with antiques, comfortable beds and small kitchens. However the management - gay oriented - is so rude that I am thinking of choosing another place next time. Regarding the price, I found it quite expensive in the view of the overall service.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank alex659
Reviewed 21 June 2007

We spent 8 nights in the Militaire Room. It was great. All the people (management) whom we dealt with were friendly and helpful, answering questions when we had them. (We are from Texas... we recognize when someone isn't friendly!) The room was clean. Our freinds stayed next door in the Castlewood Room, and we had friends in the Maine Room. We were all pleased. The showers in the modern building are small, but it wasn't a big deal. The air conditioners worked wonderfully! The walk to the subway is convenient and there are several eating establishments in the area that we enjoyed. We all agreed that we would return for another stay at the Incentra Village House in the future.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank texastraveler6_2007
Reviewed 16 June 2007

I've been staying at the Incentra for 15 years. I don't know what's happened but it has gone from being great to terrible. I booked one of their nice rooms 2 months ago, and when I showed up they informed me that they had moved me in their worst room (which I had the unfortunate experience of staying in once before). It's dirty and so loud you can't sleep. It's also in an ugly modern building next door, not the cute older building. They told me that if I didn't like it, I should stay somewhere else. After two sleepless nights I finally found another place to stay and told them I was checking out. Then they told me there was a 72 hour cancellation policy and I would have to pay for extra nights. They did not inform me of this when I complained about being placed in this room. Not once did they apologize for putting me in a room that I didn't book. You might have a good experience there if you get one of the good rooms (they're ok), but the bad rooms are really terrible. I can't imagine how they treat new customers if this is the way they treat someone who's been staying there for 15 years. I'll never stay there again. I've never been treated so badly by a hotel, and I travel a lot for work and pleasure. I wish I could give them a zero, but the lowest I can pick on this site is 1.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family