“Milburn Hotel, New York City, highly recommended”
Review of The Milburn Hotel

The Milburn Hotel
Ranked #197 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I can't imagine a better place to stay in New York. Our rooms have been very comfortable, and a suite is a very good deal since it holds 3-4 people, with kitchenette. Sometimes one is lucky enough to have a balcony. The staff are very cordial and interesting people, and the neighbourhood is the best. Everyone to whom I have recommended the Milburn has had a similarly excellent experience.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly and talk it over with the person on the phone, who I think will try hard to...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I stayed with my family for my sister's graduation, and it was a terrific location for moving about New York city. The room was quite large and everything met normal hotel standards otherwise. There was nothing too spectacular about our stay, but it got the job done. Thanks!

1  Thank Kyle H
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The Milburn is in a good location just off Broadway and close to the subway. There are supermarkets and restaurants in the vicinity.
The hotel is a little dated but clean and comfortable with extra room facilities such as a kitchenette. The breakfast was adequate although the breakfast room was rather small. For New York the price was competitive.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank law26
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed here based on trip advisor reviews. I understand some of the ratings but not others. Overall I would say it was a confusing experience. The lobby is a little bit like going to see The Wizard. The outside is seemingly impressive but don't look behind any of the closed doors. Our room was in such disrepair that I was too shocked to say anything. Peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, black stains on the ceiling from the heat of the lights (?), chipped tile in the bathroom, dirty or stained grout, every single corner of the carpet was caked with dust, and the air conditioning required written instructions that we had to find for ourselves. Additional issues can only be categorized as strange. The hotel room door was not self closing so it kept getting left open. The facility states that it has laundry facilities available. Upon arriving we discovered that the washers could only be used after 5:00 because they are used by housekeeping. At first we thought that this would be an acceptable compromise as we mistakenly believed that this meant it would be inexpensive. My husband and I took two loads of laundry to the basement. Upon stepping off the elevator we were shocked to see that the staff were walking across planks that covered huge holes in the flooring. When we reached the laundry room we were astounded to discover that one load of laundry was going to cost $13.00. I am not sure who owns this property but they should be ashamed to have their staff work in this environment. So now we get to the hard part. The neighborhood is absolutely adorable. Within one block we had coffee, restaurants, and grocery stores. The subway is three or four blocks away and we felt completely safe going back and forth. The location is the reason is I am giving this hotel two stars.

1  Thank Melissa F
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I haven't even got to the hotel yet but the reservation gentleman (Josef) has been so helpful. He took time to check my booking when I rang to make it, and today when I rang to check a couple of details against my reservation I spoke to him again! Josef recalled my first call and again could not have been more helpful. This is looking good Milburn Hotel.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Room was clean, staff were friendly and helpful without being obtrusive. Price was good for NY, close to subways. Quiet neighborhood with many outstanding restaurants and stores/markets close by. There was utility work on the street in front of the hotel complete with jackhammers, but we never heard it until we went outside. All in all, an outstanding value for a New York hotel.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I was really looking forward to staying at the Milburn. I was initially very disappointed, but upon reflecting back on our stay I think I would stay here again.

When we arrived the night manager did not greet us or welcome us. He checked us in, gave us our keys, and told us where breakfast would be, but without any pleasantness at all. I had referred my dad to the Milburn a few weeks before and I was going to be paying a lot of money, so I at least want a "Welcome to the Milburn! Thanks for staying with us." Geez!

We got a great room, but it was not clean, so I requested another one. The new room was much smaller! So not a good start at all.

To the owners of the Milburn...get rid of the night manager and get some new cleaning staff. With the economy the way it is I am sure that you can find some excellent replacements. It would do a world of good for your business!

Now, all of that being said...the Milburn is an excellent value for NYC. The rooms are much bigger than most. The neighborhood is great! Close to all kinds of sights and there are eateries, grocery stores, and shopping all around...very convenient. Also, you feel like you are a New Yorker. The free breakfast is an awesome start to the day and the gentlemen who work in there are wonderful! Another plus is the mini fridge and microwave and coffee maker. Those are a real convenience and not the norm to be included in NYC. Each room has a nice TV and a DVD player which was great to unwind with at night. We brought some movies with us and popped some popcorn :-)

Big shout outs to Joseph for being a great help in finding us a new room with a smile! And to Albert for listening to my concerns and making things right.

1  Thank TravelDeMistyFied