“Wonderful!”

Ranked #212 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Baltimore
“Wonderful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2006

My family and I stayed here during the week between Xmas and New Years. I was going to see Gov't Mule at the Beacon and the girls were going all over New York The location is perfect, the rooms were very nice and the staff was wonderful. They helped map out our day trips and were always very professional. The only problem was the heat was always too high! They tried to fix it, but there seemed to be little middle ground. I'll take too much heat in NYC in the winetr if I can stay at this moderately priced, kid friendly, perfectly located hotel!

• Stayed December 2005

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2006

My husband and i just got back from NYC having stayed at The Milburn for a week(during the blizzard!).
We were originaly booked into another hotel but we were disatisfied so had to find another hotel, by chance we stumbled upon The Milburn and we are so glad that we did.
We were given a suite with a queen size bed, kitchen area a large lounge area and a beautiful marble bathroom.The bedroom had ample storage and the lounge area had a double sofa bed. There is an iron and ironing board in the closet and also a safe for your valuables. In the kitchen there is a microwave bowls, cups a coffee making machine and a refrigerator.The hotel staff were very polite and courteous at all times. We were able to choose dvd's from very extensive list, and our room was always spotlessly cleaned .There is also 24 hour room service provided by The Manhatten diner along Broadway, the food is reasonably priced but beware, the portions are really large,so you don't need to order too much !.This really is a brilliant hotel and we would definately stay there again.

• Stayed February 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2006

I found the Milburn to be excellent value for money and I'd definitely stay there again. My room was clean, comfy, reasonably-sized, with kitchenette, iron & ironing board, TV and DVD/video player - you can actually borrow videos/DVDs from the front desk to watch in your own room, if you're tired from seeing all the New York sights. Bathroom was small but pristinely clean. My corner room was quiet, no noise from the street or from other rooms. You can check your email for free at the computer terminal at reception. The staff were polite and efficient, though the quality of service can be variable. I love the Upper West Side which is less crazy and feels warmer and safer that midtown Manhattan. No shortage of good restaurants and cafes in the area, there are supermarkets (Fairway's, Zabar's etc) nearby, banks and major shops too. Lincoln Center, Central Park within walking distance, and subway station is only a couple of blocks away. Crosstown buses are also a couple of blocks away, useful if you're going over to the Museum Mile. Don't expect the luxurious trappings of the big hotel chains, but if you're looking for a clean and comfortable room to stay for a few days or even a week, I'd definitely recommend the Milburn. Rooms can be booked through their website.

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank Audrey63
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2006

I stayed at the Milburn for 4 nights in late November with my mam. We were over from ireland on a shopping/sightseeing visit, and I found the Milbutn excellent.

I booked it because of the reviews it got on this site, and also because it was so reasonable! It's in a great location, about a 35 min walk through Central Park to Fifth Avenue, and there is also a subway stop two blocks away. The room was lovely, not huge but very nice. And no sign of cockroaches! It was very clean, the television was quite big and the kitchenette is very handy. The Milburn is just off Broadway, and there are a good number of shops close by, including the Body Shop, Urban Outfitters and a very nice supermarket/deli.

We weren't too keen on the Greek restaurant on the corner, but there are some nice Italian restaurants close by. The staff were very nice. Not too in your face, but extremely friendly. We went to the reception with several queries re Broadway tickets, restaurants etc and they could not be faulted.

Previous reviews said that the decor isn't great in the Milburn, and that is true. But its also not shabby and is very clean. All in all, I will be staying at the Milburn again and am very pleased we stayed there.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank Visitor63
Farragut, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2006

Fortuanately a snowstorm caused major cancellations so we got to stay a block away from my sons apartment. Our 14th floor suite was large, very clean, warm, and quiet. The staff was cordial and breakfast & dinner room service was great. Will stay there again.

Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2006

We booked into the Milburn for three reasons: 1. the price, 2. the fact that they had suites and 3. reviews on this site were mostly positive. It was the right choice.

The hotel is aging but I have stayed at places much worse. The rooms were large and the kitchen of our suite came in very useful during the week we stayed in New York. The free use of the internet in the lobby came in useful and if I had more time their library and pool access would have also been useful.

The location is also great. While you aren’t as close to all the attractions the subway is only a short walk away and since its so close to Broadway we never had a problem hailing a cab. The main reason that the location was so great is that Upper West Side isn’t really a tourist area. So instead of all the shops being tourist orientated (i.e. full of postcards and other souvenirs) you get some great businesses nearby. In particular there are a couple of great supermarket/delis nearby where we often grabbed something for dinner – heating it up in the microwave in the hotel suite.

The staff were also helpful and friendly. Sometimes however it can be difficult to get them to understand what you want. When I released I might have broken my arm one morning (tripped walking back to the hotel the night before) they referred me to a great doctor nearby. However it took ten minutes just to get them to understand that I didn’t want to go to the ER but to a doctor and then another five minutes for them to find the doctor they had listed in their reference information.

Overall I would recommend this hotel. The positives of our stay more then outweighed any problems.

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank elm01au
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2006

The Milburn was converted from an apartment building to a hotel, and some of the apartment features do show up in the rooms. Most notably, the bathroom had the smallest amount of floor space I've ever seen between the toilet, sink, and shower -- clearly a legacy of being an New York apartment. The rooms also have kitchenettes from their apartment days, and that's a definite plus. There are several wonderful markets -- Zabar's, Fairway, and others -- within a short walking distance on Broadway, and it's great to be able to pick up snacks and your own sodas to take back to the room. My husband and I both love to read at night, and the lighting in hotels is always problematic. Another legacy of the apartment days is that the rooms have overhead light fixtures, which seems to be a rarity in hotels, in addition to plenty of lamps. It's the best lit hotel room I've ever stayed in.

We had originally booked a junior suite, but were upgraded to a one-bedroom upon arrival. The rooms are nothing special in terms of decor, but are clean and pleasant. The staff was pleasant and helpful, despite the fact that there seemed to be a large tour group checking in at the same time we did which made things a little hectic.

The neighborhood is wonderful with plenty of great restaurants nearby. We especially enjoyed Niko's, the Greek restaurant on the corner of Broadway and 76th.

We're already talking about going about again. I would definitely recommend it.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member