“Good hotel, friendly staff.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Marmara Manhattan

The Marmara Manhattan
Ranked #240 of 463 Hotels in New York City
London
“Good hotel, friendly staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

We stayed for four nights in September. We used it as a base for exploring New York. The best facility this hotel offers is the Kitchenette, which means you can relax without the need to constantly eat in restaurants or diners. The room was clean and very spacious. The area was slightly run down, and we noticed some unsavoury looking characters around the first night but not really a problem. Main drawback was that there was a lot of noise from the street.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank travelmoreLondon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2009

I was pleasantly surprised by the size of this place. It was our first place in New York City after a long haul from Australia. We got a great deal on Wotif.com (for NYC) and this was a one bedroom apartment with everything supplied. The bed was particularly comfortable and the staff friendly. It was clean with a full kitchen if you like to cook. I highly recommend this hotel in the upper East side. Its a kind of residential area which is nice. Superb vegetarian restaurant - Candle Cafe - close by. Stay here if you can its so much better and three times the size of anything else in NYC! Only shame was the construction of a subway station outside the hotel! But still worth it.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

We had a one bedroom arpartment at the Marmara. It was a very nice place to stay. We were very happy with the Marmara because we got great value for money having paid about US$234 a night for three nights. For this we got a large one bedroom apartment which included a good sized loungeroom, and kitchen. It was clean and in a quite location on th Upper East Side. It was the best of the four places we stayed in over a couple of weeks in NYC by far but I think that's because of the price. If we had to pay another $100 a night for it I think our view would be different. The staff were all exceptionally friendly and charming and helpful, the best we encountered.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

I don't need a 6 star hotel to be happy, but I am picky. I loved staying in the Marmara!

One of the things that I look for is good communication before I stay in a hotel. To say the Marmara doesn't disappoint is an understatement! I had looked at the rates on the site and was pleased to see that I could get a studio suite for less than a single bedroom with shared bathroom midtown. I don't know New York well though and wanted to know how easy it would be to get to Columbia-Presbyterian (W 168th St) and NYU Medical Center (E 33rd Street). I emailed and got a response the same day from the wonderful Neslihan. She gave me a full rundown of transport options. She then offered a free upgrade to a one bed suite if I wanted to book. I did! A while later I emailed to ask if I could have some online shopping delivered. No problem. If it arrived before I did they would hold it.

So:

Location: Some people wouldn't like being well up the Upper East Side (technically Yorkville really) but I was glad I was there. The hotel is on 94th Street and 2nd Avenue and easily accessible by subway-stop is on 96th street. Every time I strolled around 34th street I was glad I was living away from the crazy throngs of tourists. The area around the Marmara is far more residential and you kind of get to feel like you're living in New York. There are plenty of grocery and drugstores nearby, ranging from expensive ones like Dean and Deluca to the cheap and cheerful Pioneer/C-Town and midrange Gristedes and D'Agostinos. I made many trips to Crumbs, Glasers and Two Little Red Hens bakeries also. Very close to Guggenheim, Whitney and Met. It's a few blocks east to Central Park where you can go for lovely runs around the reservoir.... I'm missing it already!

Check-in: I arrived early but they managed to find me a room straight away. They had kept a package for me...and knew before I asked. It was swift and the guy on the desk was really friendly.

Room: Well, it was an apartment really! I was on the 18th floor. Large bedroom with TV and loads of storage. Bed was quite hard but I got used to it. Couldn't sleep with street noise first night but managed every other night so it may have been due to being over-tired at the start. There was a full kitchen with a massive fridge, and everything you could need-utensils, plates, cups, plates, saucepans etc. Even sealable Pyrex bowls. I particularly liked it that there was a dishwasher...and they provided detergent, washing-up liquid and rubber gloves. Nice touch! There was a little pack with 2 bottles of water, coffee, tea, creamer and sweeteners also. Living room comfy with TV, DVD player and fax machine/copier. Everything spotless

Amenities: Small fitness room with some weights, elliptical, treadmill, bikes, rower and TV. More than adequate and never full. There's also a laundry room with a few washers and dryers. Didn't have to wait for a machine. Cute little gallery in lobby which was lovely to see when you arrive in the door. There's also a laptop set up there with internet access, as well as free WiFi in the rooms. No restaurant but loads outside and they deliver.

Staff: Wonderful. I was greeted with a hello and a smile every single time I entered or left. Both the doormen and the front desk staff were charming and exceedingly helpful. Heard them giving extensive area advice to guests and they accepted all my deliveries and made sure I got them. A car was organised to bring me to the airport and they also printed out my boarding pass for me!

Downsides: Slow elevators. Bit noisy... These would in no way prevent me from staying here again! So so happy with my decision.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank GráinneM
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

Stayed with freinds in September and we were all very pleased with the service and the room witch was big clean and very nice. We stayed four nights in a one bedroom luxery apartment, and one night i the penthouse wich was absolutely briliant, you sould try one night there the views and size of the room and terrace was much more than expected.
We also recieved graet service from the front desk through out our stay.
We Will stay at the Marmara Suites when we come to NY next time.
John From Denmark

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

First trip to NYC and stayed in hotel in Tribeca first then at Marmara - the latter was much better, and much better value at the same price. You can go cheaper if willing to share a bathroom, but I was so not going there!

Huge suite (larger than my apartment in Sydney), full kitchen, aircon, nice and quiet, all amenities (two full bathrooms!) and balcony at Marmara vs small room with no frig in Tribeca for the same $$$. Actually did happy dance in foyer once the bellman left after bringing me up to the room.

Friends warned me the Upper East Side was a bit far from 'the action', but is two blocks from subway and NYC public transport is so good you can get anywhere quickly with a Metrocard. There are also plenty of restaurants/cafes/etc close by and a short walk to Central Park, Met, shopping on 5th Ave, etc.

Am used to staying at Westin/Hyatt for work so have high standards. Worst things that happened were towel rail fell off (easily fixed) and needed new wine opener (quickly supplied) - great welcome to NYC. There is road works happening outside on 2nd Ave - common in NYC - but no noise during night.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Edmonton, Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2009

We had a good sized one-bedroom suite, nicely decorated in modern style. Fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher, fridge, etc. TV in both sitting room and bedroom. Huge closet with shelves in bedroom. Very clean. No complaints whatsoever about the hotel. We weren't as pleased with the location--the hotel was surrounded by construction (subway?). It was several blocks to the nearest subway, and a taxi trip to downtown cost $20. There were some good nearby restaurants--we liked Nick's Restaurant ( across the street because of the construction) which serves very generous proportions of Italian food --an excellent choice for families. We enjoyed breakfast at the Barking Dog restaurant, a couple of blocks up the street, which is also good for lunch.

• 1 of 5 bubbles