“This place is a fraud”
Review of AKA Sutton Place

AKA Sutton Place
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Amateur service, quality, and management is what you'll get here, but at Upper East Side prices. We had many problems during our 2-week stay, including confused staff, rude and unhelpful manager, inconsistent housekeeping, cheap kitchen amenities (some of which broke or were barely usable) and general poor quality of environment. Don't look too closely at the details: what you'll find is peeling wall paper, smears of paint over hardware, cheap materials, and bad overall construction. The fitness center was under repair (but we had to argue with the manager to be reimbursed for this unusable amenity), the "business center" was a printer and 2 computers shoved into what obviously used to be a closet, and internet access was spotty at best. The management of this place seems to think that you will be lured and fooled by brand names, including that of the neighborhood itself, and not notice that your actual experience is closer to Motel 6.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank surfacegirl
There are newer reviews for AKA Sutton Place

Reviewed 23 February 2009

I have stayed in a lot of NYC hotels are most are very disappointing. If you are looking for a hotel with a cool bar and restaurant scene, this is not the hotel for you. What it is, is a really cool apart hotel with really big, bright modern suites, great beds, trendy kitchens and a wonderful tranquil pool in the basement. There is free wifi and local calls and the staff are fantastic. Sutton Place is convenient to everything. It's not expensive and I would have no hesitation staying here again or recommending it to friends. I was really, really impressed.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Borisboxer
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Having stayed in a number of NYC in the past, we had grown used to disappointment. Most of the places we've stayed at there have bordered on "tenement" conditions, and always been quite expensive.

I was pleasantly surprised with the AKA Sutton Place. It was in a good location, with a nice, safe neighborhood. We had traveled to New York to experience Manhattan at Christmastime - something I recommend everyone do at least once.

We had a great time in all of our adventures, but the biggest surprise was the hotel. Large, clean suites, with fully appointed kitchens and nice fixtures all around. The suite size was almost double what we'd expected. We weren't there for business, but if we had been, the suite would have been perfect for meetings and entertaining guests.

The hotel staff was wonderful. We didn't have a single encounter with any of them that was not positive. It seemed as if each staff member we dealt with was a very involved part-owner.

I highly recommend the AKA Sutton Place for both business and pleasure.

2  Thank greg90274
Reviewed 14 December 2008

to have found this wonderful hotel. NY at Christmastime is something we both remembered from our childhood and we wanted to return from California with our grandchildren so they could enjoy the lights, the department store windows (Lord & Taylor exactly as I remember from years ago - still the BEST), ice skating, shopping, the shows etc. We left NY many years ago and each time we returned it was a wonderful trip except for the hotels. This time, however, we found AKA Sutton. I can't rave enough about the service - the most helpful and friendly we have ever experienced (one of them actually walked us down the street and fought with a cabdriver on our behalf). Every person at that front desk was like family - helpful in every way. They just couldn't be nicer. The hotel itself is beautiful - just like new. The beds were incredibly comfortable, the bedding was beautiful (exactly as in the pictures), the breakfasts with croissants and fruit etc were great. I can honestly say we will NEVER stay anywhere else. Also the neighborhood is totally safe and within walking distance of almost everything. We walked everywhere. I met a gentleman from Australia who was in the pool with his son and he was telling me a similar story - so fortunate to have found this hotel.

I was a little concerned when I saw the review saying the hotel was dirty but then every other hotel in NY seems to have that problem so I assumed again it was something I'd just have to overlook. However, just the opposite - it was impeccably clean. I have absolutely not one single complaint about this hotel. I will never even think about staying anywhere else. I will certainly, and already have, recommended it.

4  Thank AnnemarieCalifornia
Reviewed 9 December 2008

Upon arrival at AKA Sutton Place, we were absolutely thrilled. We have stayed in a variety of places in NYC and are generally sorely disappointed with the quality -- especially in light of what you pay to stay anywhere in NYC!

We are an extended family of 2 adults, 2 children, and 2 seniors. We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suite. The master bedroom with en suite bath was very large with a huge walk-in closet. The second bedroom was spacious, especially for NYC, and the living room was quite large. The hotel doesn't have a pullout couch in the living room, so we bought a full-sized aerobed for the kids. I was worried that it wouldn't fit in the room, but in retrospect we could have fit a king-sized one in the room!

Each room has a TV. WiFi is free. Local phone calls are free. There is a beautiful kitchen with sub-zero refrigerator, freezer with icemaker, dishwasher, stove, microwave -- everything you need to keep the leftovers from dinner at NYC restaurants.

Downstairs in the lobby they have coffee and tea all day long. Breakfast (yogurt, apples, pastries) are complimentary in the morning. There's a business center with computers and a printer (free). There's a beautiful, peaceful, relaxing indoor pool -- we swam in December! There's also a workout room downstairs.

The staff is INCREDIBLE. They bend over backwards to help with anything you need. I received an email a week before coming asking if we wanted anything purchased at the local store to be waiting upon our arrival.

I am very finicky about the beds I sleep in, and our bed was incredibly comfortable. The sheets were heavenly.

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. I was worried about the one review saying it was dirty, but in reality the whole place was SPOTLESS. The property looked EXACTLY like the pictures on the website.

If you're staying 7 days or longer, maid service is only provided once a week, but they do change towels and take out trash daily. I think additional maid service is $30 per cleaning, but we never used it.

After years of searching, we have found our "always stay there" hotel in NYC.

7  Thank gadgetlady
Reviewed 21 February 2008

Korman Communities has several Hotels in New York City. The one we stayed at was called 'Sutton Place' location. The location is good and the 2 bedroom apartment we were staying at was spacious, well-designed and the color scheme of the rooms and furnishings was pleasing. Each room had a T.V. and the kitchen was fully equipped and well stocked with plates/cutlery/pots & pans/coffee maker/toaster etc. Bathrooms were adequate and well stocked with towels. We arrived late in the evening and the front desk staff were quite welcoming. We were given a 'welcome' letter (with our name on it and the date of our arrival) on which they had listed useful information such as how-to-use the telephones in our rooms etc. This welcome letter also stated that housekeeping will be provided daily. Upon arriving in the apartment, our 10 year old wanted to have a soak in the tub but then decided against it when he saw there were 'hairs' in the bathtub and that the tub had a grimy soap ring all around. When I went to turn down the bed for our children, I saw that the sheets were all crumpled and they really did look used, even here there were strands of hair. The toilet in our bathroom was a dark dirty yellow color, I doubt that a toilet brush has been used there in a long time. Our bedroom had smeared dead mosquitos on the wall and the headboard had some crusty dried up white substance on it. The next day I mentioned all this to the front desk, and they said they would take care of it. But upon our return at the end of the day, the only thing that had changed was that there weren't any hairs in the tub anymore. The next day, housekeeping only took out the trash and replaced the used towels, the beds weren't made nor was the apartment cleaned. When I asked how come the welcome letter had said housekeeping provided on a daily basis when in fact this wasn't so, I was told that the letter we were given was 'old' and that they didn't do real housekeeping everyday just what they called trash and towels. Anyway, I just wouldn't recommend this hotel if you're looking for cleanliness or for a responsive staff at the front desk.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
5  Thank JoeItaly
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 November 2003

Excellent and discreet. This is a secret i'm reluctant to share. A little Victorian for the groovy crowd.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member