“My 4th stay....highly recommended!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #272 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“My 4th stay....highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

I can't fault the New Yorker hotel for location, amenities and service at a great (New York) price. The most recent trip was for my 40th birthday with 3 family members. The 1 br suite was spacious and very clean. I emailed ahead and we were given a corner suite with balcony. The front desk staff were very friendly, ticktock diner waiters were pleasant and housekeeping did an excellent job. I always recommend this hotel to others looking for a well priced hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: Email ahead!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,141)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

I stayed here with a friend on a recent birthday trip to New York. I have to say i was very impressed with the service we received from the moment we arrived. The staff were not intrusive at all but were friendly and helpful when asked for help or advice, particularly Laura at the front desk who on our arrival upgraded us to a room with a fantastic view of the Empire State Building on the 31st floor due to it being a special 50th birthday trip for me. And the gift of truffles was a lovely touch!. At one point the bulb in the bathroom light blew and a technician came to the room almost immediately, which was impressive. The security in the hotel was reassuring.
The room itself was extremely clean on arrival and was kept spotless by housekeeping staff throughout our stay, as was the bathroom. The shower took a little getting used to - the adjusting of the temperature took a little patience - but this is mere nitpicking to be honest. And to those worried about bed bugs, i can honestly say my friend and I did not have one bite between us!!!! The beds were clean and extremely comfortable.
The housekeeping staff always had a friendly word when we bumped into them too.
The room was close to the lifts but was actually surprisingly quiet and being so high up you can barely hear any street sounds (maybe the odd siren).
There was also a decent, not too expensive gift shop downstairs from the foyer for last minute gifts, and the tick tock diner was handy for a reasonably priced breakfast before a long day of sightseeing!
The location of the hotel couldn't be better really - right in midtown. Most places were walkable, with good comfortable shoes and there are plenty of reasonably priced cafes and restaurants nearby.
For a break in New York i can thoroughly recommend this hotel to travellers.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank jillt99
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed here from 28th may til the 2nd june for my 40th birthday and we were upgraded at checkin to a corner room on the 37th floor with the most amazing view of the Empre State Building! Ana who checked us in was very welcoming and also provided us with a coffee maker and pods for our stay. After reading reviews on here I was expecting a small room but ours was large with a bath and shower and a large closet. We ate breakfast and had coffee in the Tick Tock diner and our waitress was lovely plenty of coffee refills and attentive although the first lady as we entered and asked to be seated was brusque and wanted to seat us in the middle of the diner, despite the diner being empty. I had read about the attitude on here and stuck to our guns to get a better table. The location of the hotel was perfect for us right next to a subway entrance which made it very easy for us to get to all the places we wanted and use the airtrain to get to and from JFK. We would definitely recommend and return ourselves.

Room Tip: email in advance if trip is for a special event
1 Thank elsaskelter
GuestResponse, Public Relations Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Thank you for the compliment, ElsaSkelter! We're glad that you had an enjoyable stay, and look forward to serving you again in the future.

Eric Bryant, Public Relations
The New Yorker Hotel
ebryant@nyhotel.com
Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

very helpful friendly staff, hotel well kept in the art deco style, we werelucky to be upgraded to a towersuite with balcony on the 38th floor looking toward the empire state building. With this we had breakfast in thesky lounge which had fantastic views & service was very good.

1 Thank abcb10
essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

I have just got back from New York, and stayed at the New Yorker Hotel with my daughter. One word.. Amazing. The hotel was in a perfect location with the Empire State buiding 1 block away, Central Park within walking distance along with Time Square.

I was on the 33rd floor and upon checking-in, was unsure. When I entered my room I was pleasantly surprised. Although our hotel was on the 33rd floor, we had perfect views of the Hudson River and bearing in mind every building is 33+ floors high had to settle. The staff were very polite and helpful at all times and gave us good advice for touring in the City. The rooms were emaculate.

The hotel provides room service so after a hard day out shopping, sightseeing there were a list of restaurants that delivered. I am pizzar-ed out!

My daughter and I would definitely go back! Recommended :-)

Room Tip: 33rd Floor, Overlooking the Hudson River
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 66danielle
Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed here in May 2011.

We arrived at the hotel at 11am and were able to check into a room even though check-in time isnt usually until 3pm.

Our room was on the 31st floor with great views over to Madisson Square Gardens. The room itself was small but had everything we needed and was fine for a 3 night stay. I think we would have upgraded to a bigger room if we had been staying any longer.

The staff were very helpful and gave us tips on places to go and some leaflets. The Tick Tock Diner which is attached to the hotel is pricey but convenient and we eat there each morning. Go early in order to get quick service. It gets rather busy from 9am onwards as its also open to the public.

The hotel is right next to a subway station and taxis are lined up outside. Macy's is only a block away and its a ten minute walk to times square. You can pretty much walk anywhere once you get the hang of the streets and avenues but when its hot its sometimes easier to get a taxi.

I wouldnt advise late check-out as its $100, leave your bags in the baggage store room for $2 a bag and the hotel also provides a town car to take you back to the airport for a $75 flat fee (JFK)

Overall we found this hotel to be very clean and modern and would definately stay here again

2 Thank Tys2011
Jacksonville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

A group of 9 of young professional ladies checked into this hotel on May 19 for my friends birthday trip. We arrived early and had the hotel hold our bags, they told us to return in 2 hours and that rooms would be ready. We gave them an extra hour, returning in 3 hours and was told that our rooms were not ready and that we would be on all different floors after we had specifically requested being on the same floor next to each other in our reservations months prior. The assistant manager Rowan Beckford was extremely rude, told lies, and left the desk never to return and address the problem again. We waited over an hour in the lobby trying to get this mess sorted out, meanwhile another group from London arrived and were immediately upgraded after their rooms were not ready. Hmmm now whats the problem with this picture??? We finally received the keys to 1 of the 3 rooms and 30 mins later received the keys to the other 2 rooms which we were told were upgraded to larger rooms, but I do not believe this to be the case because they look the same as the rooms on the website. Typical small New York room with a very TINY bathroom without any counter space. The Tick Tock diner was nice enough with pretty good food and large portions. We had an excellent waiter there and I hate that I cant remember his name. The 2nd night of our stay we received a thank you card and a bottle of cheap champaigne to make up for the fiasco at check in but this was a little too late and we know this is only because corporate had to be called because of the rudeness of the staff! The New Yorker will never see a dime of my money again and to think we were there through a military rate bookings. This is definately not a $400 a night hotel. Save your money and stay somewhere else! Thank you New Yorker for ruining my friends birthday! Thank goodness we didnt let it spoil our entire trip!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RN29
GuestResponse, Front Office Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Dear RN29,

We apologize for the substandard service you received, and would like the opportunity to address your complaints directly.

You may email me directly at gmerone@nyhotel.com. I am the Front Office Manager and will address your concerns immediately.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope to be able to better serve you in the future given the opportunity.

Glenn Merone