“Great hotel”

Ranked #274 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I read some bad reviews before I went to this hotel so was a little worried. We arrived at lunch time and got seen to quite quickly and I asked if it would be possible for a room with a view and the guy was very helpful and put us a little higher so we could see a bit more. The room was spotless and was kept that way for all 7 nights of our stay. We had no problems with the lifts or any of the services. We had a great time and would go back to this hotel when visiting ny again. Martin from London

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Marv65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,281)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2011

Myself and my son (aged 10) had a double double room at the New Yorker for our recent trip (May 24th to 29th). For us, the location of the hotel was perfect, easy for subway access around the city, as well as easy access to the NJT and airtrain back to Newark at the end of our stay (wish we had stuck to using it on the way in now instead of getting a car!).

We liked the location of the hotel, easy access, about 10 to 15 mins stroll to Times Square, plenty of shops etc. We arrived in the middle of the day, check in was somewhat slow and I have to say that I was disappointed with the person we checked in with and there was unfortunately no "warm welcome", just as when we checked out they didn't even bother to ask if we had enjoyed our stay or if anything had been ok. When we wanted to gain access to our security deposit box, we were made to feel as if it were a bother to the staff on reception. Thankfully, this was the only downsides of our stay, and thankfully, we didn't have to encounter the staff on reception that often.

Everyone else we came into contact with, housekeeping, security etc were all very nice and friendly.

We had a double double room which was upgraded prior to our arrival to one of the newly refurbished New Yorker rooms, although if we had wanted a room with a view it would have been an additional $30 a night. We didnt bother paying this as it had already cost us a lot of money, and it wouldn't have been worth it for the length of time that we stayed in the room.

Our room itself was spacious (certainly bigger than a lot of other places we've stayed) and it had 2 bathrooms, both with bath and shower over. We liked the fact we could each take a bath at the same time. The room was clean, tidy and very comfortable. The beds were some of the comfiest we have ever slept in, (even if they were a long way from the floor ~ sounds strange but this was the first time if I sat on the end of the bed that my feet wouldn't touch the floor lol) but it was incredibly comfortable, clean crisp sheets and covers, 4 thick but lovely pillows. Plenty of towels (changed daily even if you followed the cards in the room about saving laundry). TV, alarm clock, ice bucket etc, we had a view of inside of the tower, but it meant it was somewhat quieter and didn't bother us.

We would recommend the hotel to other people staying, we enjoyed the location, the ease of where it was to other places, and also enjoyed the Skylight diner a couple of times just down the road (found it preferable in quality and value to the Tick Tock Diner attached to the hotel), able to use the business centre to print off our boarding passes for the 2nd half of our trip which was useful and the free internet wifi was good with no downtimes or slow use.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay here, the only negative was the reception given from the reception staff and the fact that they didn't make you feel particularly welcome.

Room Tip: emailed prior to stay to ask for high floor/view
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KarenT_uk
GuestResponse, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
Dear UKtop_kat,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the New Yorker Hotel. I would like to apologize that your check in at our reception desk did not meet expectations. We do appreciate our guests’ feedback so please feel free to e-mail me directly with your booking information; I am the Guest Service Manager and will address your concerns immediately.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope to be able to better serve you in the future given the opportunity.

Nicole M. Agnello
Guest Service Manager
212-244-0719 x7103
NAgnello@nyhotel.com
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I had read many reviews of this Hotel, many were favourable but a few made me slightly apprehensive - upon arrival and a swift check-in the apprehension was no more, we requested through our travel agent a twin-room (two seperate beds), the room we were initially given had a one double bed. I went back down to reception and explained the original request and we were immediately provided with a two bed room on the 19th floor - perfect ! All the staff were all too willing to help and very polite in the process - my only complaint was the quickness of service and poor attitude at thet the concierge desk, after waiting for an hour for what I was hoping would be a quick and helpful reply when I said how long I had been waiting she said "you could have interrupted, you didn'y have to wait" - what would other guests have thought if I had barged through the queue ?
Our room was very comfortable and the hosekeeping very prompt when we had an issue with an overflowing bathroom facility. The subway at 34th Penn Station has entrances next to the hotel and the hop-on hop-off tourist buses are just one block away.
The Tick-Tock Diner next door is fabulous - fully recommended.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank B-HNL
GuestResponse, Public Relations Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Dear B-HNL,

We certainly appreciate you review. Thank you for the 4-star rating and for being willing to recommend us to your friends!

Reviewed 10 June 2011

I took my boyfriend for his 21st birthday and pictures of the hotel did no justice! I emailed prior to my arrival explaining it was a surprise visit and they upgraded my room to a large room free of charge and with a great city view!! Was in a great location easy to walk pretty much everywhere and was very close to times square!! It was my first time in new York so wasn't sure where the hotel was etc but was amazing! Very clean and the staff was very helpful! Would definitely stay there on my next visit as it's very good value! You would never think it is a 3 star since it has been refurbished! Only ate once in the tick tock diner and only had a desert! But only because we wanted to experience other places all over! Alot of my friends who have been or are going are using this hotel so is very popular!!

• Stayed March 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Stayed here for three nights with my adult daughter and was very impressed with its value. The room was a decent size and its view excellent. However, the bathroom was quite small and outdated and needing some attention but was clean. The staff at check-in was very courteous and helpful. The hotel's location was perfect for us and really central to most everyhting. In previous stays in New York, we have traditionally stayed in TIme Square but found this location much better and easier to travel from. Walking distance to many places and public transportation is just around the corner.
I would not recommend the Tick Tock Diner. We had horrible service, and just mediocre food. It took us over 45 minutes to get a simple egg breakfast and that was after trying to get our waiter's attention for almost 15 minutes to no avail.

Room Tip: Look for their online specials!
Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Melanie513
GuestResponse, Public Relations Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
We certainly appreciate you review, Melanie513. Thank you for the 5-star ratings and for being willing to recommend us to your friends!

Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My family of 4 stayed at this hotel using my husband's hotel points. We originally had a 2 double bedroom booked, but then I realized, I wanted my own space from the kids. We upgraded to a "New Yorker Suite" which consisted of a queen sized bedroom, separate from a living room with a pull-out couch bed. The kids got the couch bed and we got our own room. When we upgraded to the suite, a continental breakfast was included on the 39th floor with the most AMAZING views. It was well worth the upgrade which cost us an additional $80+tax each night. The continental breakfast is not available on weekends, so we were provided a ticket for each of us for Saturday and Sunday to get breakfast at the Tick Tock Diner which is connected to the hotel off of the lobby. That place had good food, fast service and they give you a ton of food. Great way to save money while eatting out in NYC.

We had a room on the 38th floor facing The Empire State Building. If we go back, I'll ask for a room over the Hudson. Nothing wrong with our view, but after seeing the sites from the breakfast room upstairs, I think I'd prefer the Hudson. Just a personal choice really. The location of the hotel on the corner of 34th Street and 8th Avenue was perfect if you are coming by train into Penn Station. It's right there, across the street. No taxi's necessary. We were a 10 min. walk to Time Square, we walked to 6oth Street between 2nd & 3rd Avenues to Serendipity 3 Restaurant. It took us probably an hour, of course we were walking with 2 young children too. We walked everywhere. We did take a taxi to the Staton Island Ferry, then walked through the Financial District, up through Chinatown and Little Italy. Stopping at the Peanut Butter & Co. Restaurant, then walked up to a park on the next block. We did take a cab home after that excusion, but really, The New Yorker Hotel is in close proximity to everything. The room we stayed in was recently remodeled and had marble floors in the bathroom. The room came complete with a Keurig for coffee or tea and a small refrigerator to store water or whatever you needed in there. I would stay there again!

Room Tip: You get a better deal the closer to your stay.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
We're glad you liked our location, Kammom18! We look forward to serving you again in the future.

miami beach
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We spent 1 night at the New Yorker - check in was a breeze and they let us check in early -, and while the room was small, it was nicely appointed with a comfy bed & quiet with beautiful views from the 35th floor. We also had a good breakfast at the Tick Tock Diner downstairs (try the whole grain pancakes with berries). Overall a great value and super-central location!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple