“very good location for sightseeing”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #279 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Old style hotel with different types of rooms, mine was rather small but hat everything you need. With a metrocard you can visit a lot of museums and important places. Empire State Building is within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank brigit_hofer

Reviewed 13 June 2011

we spent 5 days at this hotel and loved it, it had every thing we needed, rooms were clean beds changed daily towels changed when you needed them, we were on the 23rd floor .there were10 lifts and it only took seconds to get to your floor we had breakfast every day and it was spot on we stayed for a evening meal one night and there was plenty choice and the meal was as good as anywhere there a nice bar where you can relax worth the stay

Room Tip: we liked the rooms high up good veiws
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank crazyjoe_8
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We decided for the New Yorker because of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor and because of its closeness to Penn station. We arrived at 11pm and we had to stay in line for check in for about 20 minutes. After that the kitchen of the restaurant was closed and we could only have food at a connected diner open 24/7 (where they served me expired beer).
The room was newly renewed but very small. I also did not appreciated that every time coming in the hotel to my room I was asked by security to show the room key as if I was some kind of skunk.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MRCHIT
GuestResponse, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2011

Dear MRCHIT,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the New Yorker Hotel. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Please know that we are a large hotel and we do take the safety of our guests’ very seriously, which is why we have the security check point in front of the elevator bank. We do appreciate our guests’ feedback so please feel free to e-mail me directly, I will be happy to address your concerns immediately.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope to be able to better serve you in the future given the opportunity.

Nicole M. Agnello
Guest Service Manager
212-244-0719 x7103
NAgnello@nyhotel.com

Reviewed 13 June 2011

This was a perfect location for travelling around New York City, never too far from anywhere. The staff were pretty typical of NY but any information required was readily available from their vast knowledge. The rooms although quite small for a double were very clean and would definitely stay here again. The 24 hour diner attached was great for a big breakfast to set you up for the day or we also grabbed croissants or muffins and coffee's if we wanted to get out there a little quicker. Friendly restaurant and bar are also worth a wee visit.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Apri70
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We enjoyed our last stay at the New Yorker that we decided to stay again.

After our participation at the Boston Marathon, we decided to have a stopover in New York before heading home. Even though, we enjoyed our last stay at the New Yorker, we decided to try something different. After some extensive research, we realized for the price and the location, we couldn't find anything better.

Walking distance to Times Square, Empire State Building and Macy's. Penn Station and Madison Square Gardens is only a block away.

It's an older hotel so don't expect the big rooms with granite vanities. The basic rooms are small. Because my husband and I are small people, it didn't affect us. If you want more space, you would have to pay the extra for a suite.

The 24-hour Tick Tock Diner (located within the building) serves up great food and excellent service. We each had a large breakfast for under $25.00 total and it lasted us through the whole day. They have an excellent espresso.

Cooper's Tavern was also located within the building but we didn't try it out. We did have a drink there waiting for the shuttle to take us to the airport. After looking around and seeing the food being consumed, I wish we had.

You can't beat the location. A $29.00 Metro Card card gave us 7-Day Unlimited Pass to the subway and bus. There is a station right outside the hotel. With Penn Station across the street, you can catch most lines and the Amtrak.

I highly recommend this hotel for it's location, price and dining.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

our room at the new yorker was pretty essential. it was a bit small but had adequate closet. the bathroom was more than ok. and above all it was clean (this is pretty much what I ask for!) the location is terrific. at night you don't need to go too far to have dinner in a very nice place. times square is v. close. the airports can be reached very easily! all in all a very good experience!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank goonilla
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I recently stayed at the New Yorker hotel with a friend on a 5 day trip to New York.

We arrived to find the reception busy, as it was at most times of the day, but the staff were quick and efficient in seeing to us and we were checked in swiftly.

We were allocated a room on the 20th floor and unfortunately, you won't get much of a view at this height, but if you come to New York to sit in a hotel room, you are in the wrong city.

The room was a double double, sorted out for us by Kelvin, with two large double beds and two bathrooms, which was a bonus. It was very nicely laid out and very clean and I'm glad to say it wasn't decked out in an ultra modern style, it's an old hotel with a history, so it would not have been right for an ultra modern interior.
I have seen some reviews commenting on the bathroom needing to be updated, but I found the bathrooms to be just right, with some original features still intact from when the hotel was built. I would be appalled if these were replaced.
The hot water in the shower was a tad changeable, in that it could go cold for a second or two then return to normal. I just put this down to be it being an old building, certainly not worth complaining about.

My only complaint about the room is that there is no safe, I have an expensive camera and although the hotel do provide safety deposit boxes at the reception area, my camera was too large for it and would have liked to manage my money and passport etc from my room. However, the safety deposit boxes are very secure and have to be opened by both you and a hotel employee using two keys.

Attached to the hotel you have two eating establishments, the Tick Tock Diner and Coopers Tavern. I will review them separately.

Tick Tock diner - A very busy, classic American Diner, I visited twice at different times and both times it was packed, but I was seated quickly and the service was very quick. The portions are massive, so bring your appetite and I would recommend the omlettes.

Coopers Tavern - This kind of became my local in New York, pefect for popping in for a quick pint after a hard day sightseeing or shopping. I could not fault the staff of Coopers, especially Marina who was brilliant behind the bar, remembered me after one visit and was always helpful and pleasant.
It's not the cheapest place in NYC, but it's certainly not the most expensive. I ate here once and got a burger stack, it was huge, and very nice.

On leaving the hotel, we were checked out with little fuss and the staff were as efficient as when we arrived and wished us a safe trip.
We required a car for the airport and the transportation desk sorted one out for us with little fuss, I didn't get the tall guy who dealt with us name, but he was very good. Our car was there when we needed it and it saved us having to bother about cabs, tolls, tips etc as it was all included in the $75 fee.
We left our bags in the hotel and nipped to Coopers for a beer before getting the Lincoln Towncar to JFK.

All in all, we had a brilliant stay at the New Yorker, there was a review which stated the area might not be safe around the hotel, but we found this to be not right as we were out and about at all hours and never once felt uneasy.

I will be returning to NYC next March and I will definitely book with the New Yorker again, you simply cannot get a better location.

A massive thumbs up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor for a great view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends