“Fab Location, Great Value for Money”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #275 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I got off to a great start with this hotel, we were met by very welcoming staff and were upgraded on arrival so ended up with a much bigger room than we had booked/paid for. The rooms are not huge but when you are in NY how long are you going to spend in the room!! The location of this hotel is hard to beat, we walked everywhere, so close to many of the main attractions - madison square garden, macys, time square, empire state, broadway..............

Also on our visit we were keen to do some shopping and so many of the great stores were right on our doorstep so when the bags got too heavy, it was easy to drop back.

One issue I did have was the lack of a safe in the room, it is a very long time since I stayed in any hotel that did not have a safe so was disappointed with this. There are safes at reception that you can use but they are very small and it is quite inconvenient as you have to go to reception every time you wan to use.

Overall I would stay in this hotel again if on a short stay in NY as you don't waste time getting to places and it is good value for money

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tipptop_1
Write a ReviewReviews (11,812)

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Travelled by train to NY and came in at Union Station which made arrival at the New Yorker Hotel a short walk away. Check in was fast and an early check in was accomodated. The room was exact, exact, exact but since we were not in the room for long periods it was ok and it was clean and comfortable when we were there. The hotel shows signs of wear and there was no view from our room so nothing to keep us in the room. The food at Tick Tock was plentiful but oily and expensive and seating cramped. All in all the location cannot be beat and with Macy's one block away this was a real plus.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Talkshop
Eric B, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Thank you for your balanced review. What can we do to earn that 5 star rating?

Eric Bryant, Marketing/PR
The New Yorker Hotel
ebryant@nyhotel.com

Reviewed 17 June 2012

I recently enjoyed a 7 night stay at the New Yorker at the end of May 2012. I had read some disappointing reviews but I was definitely pleasantly surprised. I had read that a $300 deposit was required when you arrived which was back in our account within 7-10 working days and so we were well prepared. We were upgraded to a room with a view without even having to ask, free of charge by Janette who was very helpful. We had a spacious room on the 19th floor overlooking Madison Square Gardens and the cleaners were in every day. They usually did their rounds around 8am. The hotel is situated in a great location, very near the Empire State Building and Macys and about a 10 minute walk to Times Square. We found a great cafe for breakfast on 7th Avenue called Andrew's Coffee Shop, so much choice! The gift shop in the hotel is a lot cheaper than some other shops and worth a visit. We had a late flight and could store our luggage at the hotel for the day for $1.50. Penn Station is just outside the hotel and will get you most places. Overall, great trip and great hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Just got back from a 6 night stay in this hotel.

PROS:
+Location- great to have Penn Station and shopping so close.
+View- If you ask for a higher floor facing east (Empire State Building) the view is amazing.
+Gift Shop- Very reasonable prices
+Free breakfast- Nice to be able to grab something quick and free before running out for the day. The view from the 39th floor breakfast area was a perfect beginning to the morning. The gentleman who runs the breakfast area was one of the nicest people in the hotel

CONS:
-Shoebox size room. One tiny window with a desk in front of it makes it difficult to enjoy the view.
-Disgustingly old tiny bathroom. The water wouldn't stay the right temperature. No vanity to place more than a few things.
-AND WORST OF ALL- The entire family woke up each morning with several itchy red bites. Now I don't think they have a bed bug infestation because I think we'd have tons more, but each one of us had between 3-7 new bites each morning. My skin is crawling right now just thinking about it. I pray we didn't carry any home with us!

Room Tip: Ask for the paticular sqaure footage of the room you are requestion. I think they may have larger on...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank bmccomish
Eric B, Guest Relations Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Valued Guest:

We apologize that your stay at The New Yorker Hotel did not meet your expectations. I am concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered.

Please, give us an opportunity to correct any possible lapse in service by e-mailing us more details regarding your stay. I know that this does not change the experience you had, but I hope that you can feel confident that we hear your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

These details will help us prevent a possible future lapse in service, as well as help address the issues you encountered. Please feel free to send me an e-mail directly at the address below and I will address them immediately.

Again, I apologize for the problems you encountered and I encourage you to please, the future, allow us to assist you by resolving any issues so we may make your stay with us enjoyable. Without your guest feedback, we cannot continue to improve our services. Thank you and we look forward to your return to the area.

Nicole Agnello
Guest Services Coordinator
The New Yorker Hotel Mgnt. Co., Inc.
481 Eighth Avenue
New York, NY 10001
Tel: 212-244-0719 x7794
Fax: 212-629-6536
Email: nagnello@nyhotel.com

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I was told before i left Australia that the room was small, compared to other places but it was just enough for me and my bags!!! This hotel is in the best location ever!!! Just a walk away from Times square, Victorias Secret, Macys, Broadway, and the 5th avenue....
You can basically see the Empire State Building as you leave the hotel....
Just about 15 minutes walk from The Rockefeller Building... Easy Access to transport to the Statue of Libert and Ground zero!! You can also walk to Central (a Bit far about 45min) you catch a bus....it takes only 10 min with traffic... The hotel staff is ok i did found them a bit rude at times, but didn't ruin my experience!!!! And i don't believe its an expensive hotel it was much cheaper than Australia....

Room Tip: if you are alone i believe any room will help you, if it was more than one would be too small ask fo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Paula M
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The rooms are very small even when compared to European hotels. However, the rooms had been recently updated. The bed was very comfortable. The elevators were fast. The location very convenient. Great hotel for a short stay of 1 or 2 nights. Would not recommend for long stays due to size of room.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Don R
Reviewed 15 June 2012

1 - I arrive at the hotel - The super rude staff asks for 300$ security deposit - Never mentioned to me while I was booking the hotel.

2 - The receptionist rudely suggest me to leave the hotel if I really want that money.

3 - The rooms are contemporary! In a bad way. The bathrooms are from the 1950s and are unclean.

I request you - Please DON'T try the hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business