“great hotel with great staff!”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #272 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sweden
“great hotel with great staff!”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Spent 7 nights at the new yorker and it was a very pleasant stay. Great friendly staff, great location (close to penn station and times square) and we got a great view from our window!

We thought it was a bit expensive at first but in the end still worth it, especially for the great location. Never took a cab, only subway all week long!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma S
Ronny Y, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and kind words! Our team really cares about our guests and we do whatever we can to ensure a great stay. Great feedback like this gives us more motivation to be the best we can, for our guests! Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay!

Email: Ryagual@nyhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,201)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This was our first trip to The States, and we went to celebrate my wifes 50th. Yes the rooms are small, yes maybe the decor is a little tired ( but I still loved the Art Deco style, and the building itself looks fantastic), and while the staff weren't over the top attentive, (which I find annoying anyway), they were perfectly competent. We did pay 10 dollars extra to have a room with a view of The Empire State, and were a little disapointed that the bed faced the opposite way to the view, but that is a minor gripe.
Reading other reviews on here, I get the impression if you regularly enjoy 5 star hotels, and enjoy fawning staff and immaculate rooms, then this probably isn't the place for you. However, if you are an everyday couple, with a relaxed attitude to life and like to enjoy yourself- then stay here!
The location is fantastic, you can walk to Times Square within 10 minutes, The Empire State in five, Maceys in two minutes and Madison Square Garden in about 30 seconds! Loved the Tick Tock diner which is attached to the hotel, and we had breakfast there every day.
I would love to be able to visit New York again some day, and if I do, this hotel would be my first choice.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Rex L
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. There is nothing better than getting great guest feedback. We are happy to hear that our facilities and cleanliness met your needs and expectations during your stay. Our location truly is one of the best, right in the middle of everything! We hope to welcome you back to NYC soon!

Buenos Aires
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We are so happy for having chosen this hotel for our 9 night stay in NYC!

Before I enter into detail, a couple of things: We got a summer deal for our dates with a discount (on the hotel's site) and we stayed at a Tower Suite (which are huge).

Let's start with the reservation process. We did it on line, perfectly. Then we managed our reservation through Nicole, who did an excelent Job. We even asked for a room with balcony (for which we paid extra), and had it just like we wanted.

We arrived really early, so our room was not ready. Kept our luggage in the hotel's luggage room, and headed out.

When we came back, check in was fast, and at this point we had our only problem with this hotel: The breakfast. The reservation details stated that continental breakfast was included. Being there we learned that from Mon-Fri it was served on the 39th floor, while on weekends, at the Tick Tock dinner. We travelled with our 2 girls (3 and 7), and for the Tick Tock they gave us vouchers, but only for adults. I said I could share with my 3 yo, but my older daughter needed to have breakfast. Besides, if they could have breakfast from Mon to Fri, why not on weekends? Long story short, they issued a set of voucher for my older daughter. More on the breakfast later... The promo also included a couple of welcome drinks. :-)

Now, the room: We were given room # 3808. When we stepped down from the elevator we realized it was a corner room, and when we opened the door we could not believe the size of the living room. It was huge, with a huge diner table and 6 chairs, a desk, a Flat TV, a wet bar, a sofa bed, integrated refrigerator and lots of room! There was a door to a bathroom.

Two doors led to the bedroom, which had a bathroom and another flat TV. The room is also equiped with a safe.

Both bathrooms were very clean and beautiful with marble all over the place.

Finally, the windows. We had lots of windows, and when we looked through the door to the balcony, there it was: The Empire State, which is 3 avenues away. A perfect unblocked view. When we could stop looking at it we realized that we could also see the Chrysler, Downtown, the Hudson River and at night the reflection of Times Square's lights. Just sitting on the balcony (which had a table and chairs) at night, having a drink and looking at all those wonderful lit buildings, was breathtaking.

Moving forward, the basics:

The location was perfect. All subway access (Penn Station is incredible). 34th St is awesome in terms of walking and shopping (Kmart, Macy's, Duane Reade, Party City, to name a few). A nice walk to Times Square, and a longer one (but doable) to Central Park.

The hotel lobby is simply gorgeous, and the hotel on its outside is a beautiful building.

The room, and the hotel in general was very clean and very tidy. Every single person working there was really corteous and friendly.

Both the living room and the bedroom had independent temperature control. The fridge had a really nice size, not the mini bars where you can hardly put a couple of cans. We stuffed it to the top and everything was cold.

The water temperature and pressure were fantastic. We even had bath simultaneously in the two bathrooms without problems.

Despite the 40 floors and quantity of rooms, we've never had a long wait for an elevator. Half went from Ground Floor to the 20th and the other half from 20th to 40th.

We had some packages delivered from Amazon and they received it without problems. In fact, a couple arrived prior to our check in, and they received them anyway. The people at the mail room were very friendly.

We had complimentary wi fi with very good signal all over the room.

I've read some reviews were people were annoyed by having to show the key to the security people to enter the elevator lobby. For the record, I did not find it disturbing at all, always had my key ready, and the guards were really friendly. In fact we thought that this requirement was for the benefit of all guests.

Tick tock dinner: It is not part of the hotel, but it has a connecting door. We had breakfast here on weekends (to go, and took it to our room), and had dinner 3 or 4 nights (again, take away to our room). Simply good prices, good food, good quantity. Our girls are very hard to please when we travel, related to food, but once they tried the food from the Tick Tock, they asked us to buy there again. Every dish we tried could be shared by 2 people.

Now, the breakfast issue. Let's start by saying that I understand that it is not very common in NYC to have breakfast included with your room. I think it was offered to the upper floors. The room where it was served, the sky lounge (perfect name for awesome views) was not big, but it served its purpose. The problem was that there was only one person to clean, replenish, bring coffee and beverages. And you have to be there early, because at some point, some things were over for the day (bagels were gone fast). Or you could be let there waiting for a table until you were cleared to go in. This situation, while not a deal breaker by any means, should be addressed by the management, because I think that adding a couple of persons to serve breakfast, and having all the items available until breakfast time is over, could solve the problem.

All in all, a great experience. Nice clean hotel, Friendly staff, in our case a huge room and awesome view, and great service from check in to check out.

It is also fair to mention that we used the New Yorker Rides to go from and to JFK and the service was excelent, with very friendly drivers and always on time.

Totally recommended!!!

PD: Every time my oldest girl would say something like "when we go back to the hotel...", she always said home instead of hotel, so that should mean something, right?

Room Tip: The Tower Suites are big, and located in upper floors with great views. Our room, 3808 had incredibl...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank MX1977
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for the review. We are so happy that our staff was able to make your stay with your family special. There is nothing better than getting great guest feedback. Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff, we look forward to passing on the positive feedback to them! We look forward to your next stay with us!

miami, fl
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We were very happy with our stay at The New Yorker. The location is great! Penn Station is down the street. It is very close to Times Square. We walked there and felt safe day and night. The Empire State building is a few blocks away and we could see it from our room. We had a view room
with 2 beds. The size of the room was good. The bathroom was small and could use some work but it was clean. The front desk staff was very helpful. If you are driving there it is hard to find a space to park for valet. We had to drive around 5 times before a space was available. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor for a better view. The view rooms are a good size.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and kind words! Our team really cares about our guests and we do whatever we can to ensure a great stay. As to our room bathrooms, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I will forward your comment to our building manager to improve the quality control.
Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay!

Alberta
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel right after a wonderful time at another New York hotel in walking distance; but I can say that my experience here was the polar opposite at The New Yorker.

When I arrived at the front desk, I was greeted....wait, actually I was waved over by the agent's wiggling index finger. I saw that her name was "Siemira" or something like that. She just blurted out "NAME". I responded to her question (?). She gave a obvious sigh of frustration, and asked for ID. I passed that on as well, and not once during this excruciating process was I ever welcomed or even acknowledged beyond a barbaric level.

The check in alone was horrid enough that it already defeated my experience. The hallways and rooms kind of look like a low rent apartment building that has not been renovated since the '70s. They are serviceable, but this is listed as being a 4-star hotel on several websites. I really am not that picky, so long if the room is comfortable; but some truck stops are more appealing than this place. The room was definitely fine to sleep in. The room was clean, although it did need some maintenance (toilet paper holder was falling off the wall, missing bathroom tiles). The location is good, right on Penn station across the street from Madison Square Gardens.

On the second day, I requested a cot, and the woman who checked me in was working again. I was afraid to speak to her. this time she was counting cash and I had to say "excuse me" quite loudly for her to even look up. I asked if I could get a cot to the room, she angrily said that there is a $25 fee. I was fine with that, but she kept on arguing as if I was not aware there is a fee (must be a natural defense mechanism). I clarified that it was okay, and she said it would be arriving in the room. 3 hours later, still no cot. I went downstairs, and another agent was (thankfully) working. He said that the room may be to small for a cot, but housekeeping would measure it to make sure. The cot never did arrive during the stay.

I did complain at front desk upon check-out, and the friendly agent working apologized. At least they did not charge for the cot. The other staff I encountered where pleasant. The housekeepers where fantastic and very friendly. They should be working at front desk.

Frankly, my review would have been much better (maybe a 3) if it was not for Siemira at check in. The way she behaved is totally unacceptable for a parking toll booth; never mind a "4-star" hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Scona
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the review. First and foremost ,we would like to apologize for any and all issues you experienced. Upon arrival it seems that your experienced was off to a bad start.

I noticed that you were checked in by Samira, please know that she is one of our most decorated Guest Service Agents and a complaint of this sort for her is certainly not the norm. Please be assured, we will be speaking to not only with Samira, but all of our Guest Service Agents, as everyone can benefit from a refresher course in Customer Service training. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

On behalf of our team we do apologize for the lack of service you experienced at our hotel. The level of service you experienced is far from what we strive to maintain here and for that we are sorry. We would love a chance to make things right with you upon your return. We hope to see you back.

P.S. I look forward to your additional feedback.

New York
Reviewed 5 August 2012

My husband and I spent last night at The New Yorker Hotel on 34th and were pleasantly surprised. I had found a deal on Travelzoo that gave us a room with a view (gorgeous views of the Hudson River!) and breakfast at the hotel's Tic Toc Diner. The hotel has been restored to resemble its infancy days in the 1920s. The decor is spot on. Rooms are rather small, but there was still plenty of room to get around. The courteous front desk staff allowed us to check in at 11:00 a.m., which was great. All was spotless. The bathroom was quite nice (very deep tub!) but the sink could have used a ledge or somewhere to put your make-up/toothbrush/tooth paste while you were using them. The hotel has over 900 rooms and I was surprised at how good the water pressure was in the shower. From the hotel, we were able to easily walk to the theatre to see "Once" (highly recommended). If in the area, stop by John's Pizzaria on 44th--you get a very reasonably priced meal before seeing a show and the restaurant is in a restored church. The security in the hotel was very good, with a gentleman checking room keys prior to allowing access to the elevators. We noticed a plethora of different languages being spoken so the hotel must be a favorite with the international set. We had a cocktail at the attached Cooper's Tavern and while we didn't eat there, the food looked very good. We walked a few doors down from the hotel to eat at Tir Na Nog, a highly recommended Irish restaurant and bar. Breakfast was included with the room price, which was a bonus. I do think, however, it was unfair to limit the times you could use the breakfast coupons to between the hours of 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. Check out time at the hotel is a generous 12 p.m. and it would have been nice to be able to sleep in. The hotel is located right near Penn Station, which made taking the train into the city an easy, stressfree way to get there! Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend The New Yorker Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your recent comments as we strive to deliver impeccable service each and every time. Our location is ideal for guests looking to see the city as it is right in the middle of all the major NYC attractions. As to our bathrooms, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
I have forwarded your comment to our building manager in order to continuously improve the quality of the services of our hotel.
We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

Very comfortable,excellent place to see all the sites from via the subway and walking. Great food available at the Tick Tock diner. Bed very comfortable and room size suitable for a touring couple. Two minutes walk to Penn station and subway access right at the door almost

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your recent comments as we strive to deliver impeccable service each and every time. Our location truly is one of the best, right in the middle of everything!
We hope to welcome you back to NYC soon!